Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2019, 08:11 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
NOBODY wants a political dynamic. You won't get the type of reaction you're looking for by creating (or expanding) one.
I agree, and I think the OP is in over his head with this one, I get the impression that the OP wants to use this in order to prevent someone else from running for the board, or perhaps to get himself elected - and I think the neighbors will see through this and he will be toast as far as being on the board. As I said before I think it's time for the OP to think about putting his house on the market and getting out of there..either that or quit playing HOA politics and mind his own business.

This stuff is so common in HOA's that it's not even funny, I lived in one for 14 years and regretted it every day, the same day my husband retired the house went on the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 08:43 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,226,666 times
I am not in over my head with the HOA issues. There is obviously a political and social dynamic to an HOA, that may be compounded by cliques, people who don't want any change, people who want to overlook enforcing rules so no one gets offended, etc.. HOAs are the norm in most cities now.

Old 11-24-2019, 09:12 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
I am not in over my head with the HOA issues. There is obviously a political and social dynamic to an HOA, that may be compounded by cliques, people who don't want any change, people who want to overlook enforcing rules so no one gets offended, etc.. HOAs are the norm in most cities now.
That doesn't mean they cancel out actual laws.

It's messed up that you wouldn't consider reporting what you say is an actual crime because you are worried about keeping your seat on the board.

I suspect that the other board member there who told you not to escalate this is aware of your tendency to ramp up conflicts and was just trying to douse the fire.

You need to mind your OWN business, get off the HOA board, and seek help for this compulsion that makes you want to pursue every perceived slight to some kind of scorched earth conclusion.

Old 11-24-2019, 09:24 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
OP, I think you love the HOA drama.
Quote:
No I don't. Neighbors want to live in harmony with each other, but then you have NIMBYs and people pushing their own agenda.
Quote:
If I were to file a police report and send a copy of that report to all owners, should aggressor neighbor run for the Board, how would most neighbors react? If aggressor neighbor is at next Board meeting, should I bring up what happened to all neighbors, if he starts ranting about streetlight?
The fact that you're even entertaining these ideas confirms that you DO love the HOA drama.

You initially tried to claim that you would only send a letter (or *ahem* your son would only send a letter) if the neighbor ran for the board. You are just itching to ramp up this war and conduct a smear campaign against this person, regardless of whether or not he's running for the board. You are contributing to the drama. Stop. Just stop.

Old 11-24-2019, 09:28 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
The fact that you're even entertaining these ideas confirms that you DO love the HOA drama.

You initially tried to claim that you would only send a letter (or *ahem* your son would only send a letter) if the neighbor ran for the board. You are just itching to ramp up this war and conduct a smear campaign against this person, regardless of whether or not he's running for the board. You are contributing to the drama. Stop. Just stop.
I agree.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:40 AM

1,315 posts, read 3,226,666 times
The aggressor neighbor is the one who starts email "wars." The HOA manager advised the Board not to enter into these email debates. Some homeowners have responded that they want harmony and for all of us to get along. I agree with this sentiment. I also think it is important for homeowners to know what happened to me, hence the dilemna.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:48 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
The aggressor neighbor is the one who starts email "wars." The HOA manager advised the Board not to enter into these email debates. Some homeowners have responded that they want harmony and for all of us to get along. I agree with this sentiment. I also think it is important for homeowners to know what happened to me, hence the dilemna.
No you don't. Or you wouldn't be entertaining the idea of participating in these antics. No, it's not important for the homeowners to know. You just want to justify getting back at the neighbor. It's childish.

Old 11-24-2019, 12:18 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Why is it important for your neighbors to know your personal business?

Old 11-24-2019, 01:19 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,795,870 times
Quote:
Obviously not. I tried to calm the neighbor down by stating the documented need for more lighting based on surveys, history of the issue, why it is needed, etc.. but he became more incensed and ultimately grabbed my collar. Board President tried to state other facts, history, etc., but it would not calm down the person.
Once he grabbed your collar, that can be construed as assault, or at least a serious threat. Why didn't you just deck the guy? The police wouldn't have charged you what with the witnesses....

Old 11-24-2019, 02:05 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post

Folks why are you letting this parasitic OP feed off you? Why do you even believe what they write? OP can't get satisfaction in the real world so second best is dragging some silly web thread on and on. Can't let it drop. Its exactly what they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology