Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 11:51 PM

1,315 posts, read 3,228,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
This is at least the second time you've likened your "assault" to a ten dollar petty theft. Would your missing flower pot be worthy of an entire thread here? Would it be cause for anyone to empathize with you?

I highly suspect the answer to both questions would be a resounding "no." You have not yet qualified for martyrdom. Move along, folks, nothing to see here.

Are you subliminally suggesting that what transpired is minor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 12:09 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
I'm not "subliminally suggesting" anything.

You have repeatedly equated the incident to the petty theft of a ten dollar used flower pot. Why should anyone here consider it as anything more important?

Old 11-16-2019, 03:31 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
An assault is a criminal matter; there is absolutely nothing within the charter, bylaws or constitution of a homeowners association that is relevant to such a matter. Your insistence on making this into an HOA issue and all your planning for future "what-ifs" regarding the HOA is what is failing you in your quest at politicizing the engagement and your coming up empty in the empathy department.

If you are truly of the mindset that a chargeable criminal act took place you should be dealing with law enforcement not planning a door to door campaign to whine about a neighbor.
This.

HOAs are about maintaining the property and managing the dues. They have no authority over unruly neighbors.

This incident should be reported to the police.

Should another such incident occur, whip out your phone and record while calling 911.

Should your neighbor decide to run for the board, and sadly it is not unusual for bullies to do this, there will be ample time to inform your neighbors about his behavior.

Old 11-16-2019, 03:53 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
wasn't this a twilight zone episode??

the son … puts a hex on the utility worker and … the worker fried himself on electrical wires..??

Old 11-16-2019, 07:22 AM

17,708 posts, read 9,181,543 times
Quote:
I am a senior citizen. Not going to give my age, but there is a roughly 30 year age difference between me and my neighbor. Neighbor is also much taller and stronger than me physically. Gives you an insight into the kind of person this neighbor is, who wants to pick a fight with a senior citizen.
If you choose to report the assault, which you can still do, I believe it would get reclassified from a misdemeanor to a felony due to your age. He could be looking at prison time.

Old 11-16-2019, 07:32 AM

9,853 posts, read 7,724,981 times
But didn't you have a thread about this light being installed before? I'm not going to hunt, but wasn't there an HOA meeting already and I'm assuming this was the neighbor that disagreed?

Why was he so angry? Does the light shine into his yard and home? Is it on your property or his? Is there something about this that will lower the value of his home and raise the value of yours?

There's a backstory here.

Old 11-16-2019, 07:45 AM

17,708 posts, read 9,181,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
But didn't you have a thread about this light being installed before? I'm not going to hunt, but wasn't there an HOA meeting already and I'm assuming this was the neighbor that disagreed?

Why was he so angry? Does the light shine into his yard and home? Is it on your property or his? Is there something about this that will lower the value of his home and raise the value of yours?

There's a backstory here.
Backstory:

//www.city-data.com/forum/non-r...l#post56441662

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Well, now we're all curious as to what is in the yard or what was done to the house that drove the neighbor over the edge and into a tantrum.

I don't genuinely like all my neighbors, but I will be polite to all of them, even the ones I don't like.
Quote:
NIMBY neighbor has never wanted a streetlight next to his house for 15+ years, while the majority of people on the street have wanted one for years. New HOA Board (which he doesn't know very well and no longer has influence over) votes unanimously to install a streetlight. NIMBY neighbor throws a loud and long temper tantrum at his neighbor and Board member who has wanted a streetlight for years saying he has lost all respect for him. If he acted that way at a Board meeting, his behavior would get him ejected by the management company.

I guess some people can't stand to lose.

NIMBY neighbor for 15+ years has behaved in the manner described in this thread to where you don't truly really know how they feel about you. Unfortunately, that wastes a lot of time. Only if you genuinely don't like someone, do you resort to boorish verbal behavior and personal attacks if you don't get your way. All the idle small talk as described in the multiple posts on this thread is fake just serves to distort and confuse the other person.

Since more people in this country are becoming increasingly more receptive to direct, straight talking politicians and business leaders, I think the era of idle, non-genuine small talk is waning. More and more people think it's a useless social game that doesn't lead anywhere.

Old 11-16-2019, 08:31 AM

6,297 posts, read 4,195,051 times
Quote:
The only person suggesting the incident was minor is YOU! File a complaint with witness statements to the police. You don’t have to press charges and have him arrested or you can , up to you.

Old 11-16-2019, 10:50 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,870,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Then it makes no sense to have your son write a letter where he stresses he's not like you. And if you have an excellent reputation, you wouldn't need for your son to write a letter at all.

There is something missing from this story.

Yep, there are always three sides to every story. Your side, my side and what really happened. We're missing two of the sides here.

Old 11-16-2019, 10:51 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Still surprised at the lack of empathy for being the victim of an assault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Sorry you were the victim of an assault.

I’m mostly interested in helping you avoid making things worse for yourself.
I agree with BirdieBelle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology