Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 08:58 AM

538 posts, read 386,459 times

Advertisements

I have common sense and street smarts. I can read a person. I know when someone is being played. (And need to explain this to friends who are duped). I can understand and argue different points to conversations. I’m a quick learner when it comes to data entry systems and other work. I take initiative and do my research before asking questions etc....but when it comes to understanding business, insurance, mortgage etc....(deductibles, interest, taxes, premiums, capital, profits, assessments) I can’t grasp it no matter how it’s explained to me. Also anything beyond simple match (and I still need a calculator) I have trouble with. I remember I had only 1 math teacher in HS that could explain things in a way that I understood.
I have a friend who is a financial analyst. Completely versed in everything I can’t grasp yet she has been played but many guys and just didn’t get it, trusted people who screwed her, and doesn’t have a concept or real danger and taking per cautions for her kids etc. I guess I’d rather be street smart but then I hate feeling so dumb when I can’t understand other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2019, 09:54 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,667,691 times
I hear you. I feel like I don't even belong in this modern world since I can't grasp most of it.

I hate feeling so stupid all the time. Very poor in math and tech. It's one long road of frustration to me.

Not that I want to go back in time, but the world is passing me by too fast.

Getting all As (except in math) in school sure didn't help me much. Being a fast and comprehensive reader is of no benefit either.

Average street smarts I guess, common sense. I've only been "duped" once, but that was a complicated business arrangement that the opposing party planned out from the get-go.

Old 11-19-2019, 10:09 AM

4,418 posts, read 2,953,789 times
I didn't see any indication that you're smart. Anyone can say they have street smarts, common sense, or can read a person. These things require average intelligence. Thats what people say who aren't bright to make themselves feel bright. Now I do know book smart people who are idiots in life. Like they don't understand finance, business, politics, common sense things, etc. Now if you told me you were smart in these areas, I would believe you are actually smart. These are things you can have conversations with people about and they would be impressed if you were knowledgable. No one is impressed by common sense and street smarts.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:22 AM

15,253 posts, read 12,989,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
I have common sense and street smarts. I can read a person. I know when someone is being played. (And need to explain this to friends who are duped). I can understand and argue different points to conversations. I’m a quick learner when it comes to data entry systems and other work. I take initiative and do my research before asking questions etc....but when it comes to understanding business, insurance, mortgage etc....(deductibles, interest, taxes, premiums, capital, profits, assessments) I can’t grasp it no matter how it’s explained to me. Also anything beyond simple match (and I still need a calculator) I have trouble with. I remember I had only 1 math teacher in HS that could explain things in a way that I understood.

Your learning style is learn-while-doing. Someone explains a concept and you can apply it quickly to a real world problem.

Math is hard because it's abstract, unfettered from the real world. Also, when I went to high school math was unpleasant because the teacher (male) taught at the pace of the apt pupils (also male). Teach was also the basketball coach, so he had neither the interest or the patience to rephrase his instruction so that slower students could follow.

Here's a YouTube video on algebra that is very easy to follow:

Business? Give me an hour and a white board and you'll know everything you need to know about business. The desire to create wealth by running a business is a powerful motivator. I have a business and I'm always learning.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:24 AM

18,137 posts, read 25,318,143 times
Man .... this is a "sensitive" topic for me
I don't know why people are unable to accept that they are ignorant about a topic.
Everybody thinks that they are "smart"

Sorry, not everybody is "smart" no matter how many times you tell yourself that you are smart.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:52 AM

109 posts, read 62,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Everybody thinks that they are "smart"
This. Most people will think they are smart, because what they are is their max (at the moment). They won't even recognize smarter people, because their ego and intelligence won't allow them to.

I'm pretty sure you are young. Your description of yourself doesn't show any sign of anything extraordinary.

Old 11-19-2019, 12:57 PM

23,356 posts, read 18,943,186 times
There is comfort in the familiar. Most people spend a good portion of their lives reinforcing/justifying the familiar in themselves, not challenging it. It takes less energy and effort to walk a path you know. What's not on the path is unknown wilderness, partly because you are paying the most attention to your own steps. I can do this, I can't do that. People often say assumptions are products of lazy thinking. Where do you think habits come from?

Indulge me here. There is a point to this long story.

When I was a kid I loved the outdoors, nature, observing, investigating, fascinated by critters. Despite living in suburbia I'd find the mucky pond, the injured birds, snakes, insects. I had this childhood dream of being a "forest ranger" without really knowing what that meant. At some point some classmate commented that that sort of profession required a hard science and math education. Biology, chemistry, physics, calculus, statistics. Horror of horrors, I absolutely hated all those things and avoided them. That mental dialog eventually translated into "I can't do math. I can't do chemistry, etc. etc. So, whenever I had to face those classes sure enough, I did poorly. Self-fulfilling, self-perpetuating prophesies.

Years later while in college (studying fine arts...I had a knack for painting and illustration), during a long bout of frustration mixed with boredom and depression I happened to take a long walk through a nature preserve. I tripped over a rock and spooked a hawk off its perch overhead. It swooped right across my face. Suddenly all the fascination, love, and yearning to protect that hawk and the place around it came flooding back. I choked up completely. Luck would have it that I happened to meet the preserve director weeding around the visitor center entrance. We started talking. I blurted out all this stuff. He told me how and why he ended up directing that preserve. He gave me some ideas about finding work in natural resource protection/management and what education it might take to break into it. I almost ran back to school on fire. Started digging into it but didn't know exactly what to look for.

I called the state's employment office. A very patient woman offered to read out a list of job titles. To this day I wish I could thank her. When one sounded like what I wanted she'd read out the qualifications necessary. Got the name of several professional job series plus the degrees and required course work they demanded. Those terrifying names all came up again; biology, chemistry, physics, statistics, math.

But this time there was focus, motivation, a goal, determination. Everything was different. I was different. Everything felt more and more right. The more people were skeptical (including my parents and the university student adviser reading my transcript) the more convinced I got. I changed my major, transferred to the university where the skeptical adviser worked that had a good reputation for such degrees. Took all those classes and would not be dissuaded. They were all survivable. I even enjoyed some of it because the lens through which I saw them was different. As for art, it became a tool to apply toward the bigger pursuit, not the end in itself.

Spent the next 35 years doing work that was incredibly meaningful, rewarding, and not a cakewalk. All because of a rock, a hawk, a polite stranger who's name I never heard, a kind state employee, and most importantly, challenging a carefully cultivated assumption I had made about myself.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-19-2019 at 02:12 PM..

Old 11-19-2019, 03:40 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,250,072 times
Welcome to the club.

Old 11-19-2019, 04:05 PM

2,066 posts, read 903,097 times
Over the weekend I filled the radiator fluid overflow receptacle with washer fluid, didn't even see the washer fluid receptacle tucked away on the driver's side under the hood, and couldn't figure out why it still wasn't spraying.

Today I'm having the radiator flushed, just in case. and once again

Old 11-19-2019, 07:39 PM

6,594 posts, read 4,994,444 times
Wait till you get older!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology