Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2019, 04:17 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,906,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm not flaunting or bragging about it, actually, I see it as a liability. I kick myself many times for seeking the truth, acquiring more and more knowledge, and, in the end, it can lead to misery and loneliness. In my next life time, I hope to be a retard with a permanent smile on my face.
I agree with this 100%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2019, 04:49 PM

1,110 posts, read 895,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
No worries. I tell the cat how lucky he is to have a Master's degree holder cleaning up his litterbox. He never seems to be impressed @ all. Not the slightest acknowledgement, not a jot, not a tittle.
It reminds me of this poem by Benjamin Britten, text by Christopher Smart

For I will consider my cat Jeoffry.
For he is the servant of the living God, duly and daily serving him.
For at the first glance of the glory of God in the East he worships in his way.
For this is done by wreathing his body seven times round with elegant quickness.
For he knows that God is his saviour.
For God has bless’d him in the variety of his movements.
For there is nothing sweeter than his peace when at rest.
For I am possessed of a cat, surpassing in beauty, from whom I take occasion to bless Almighty God

Old 11-23-2019, 06:34 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,111,578 times
Took me a long time to be able to speak to people at their levels. That's all I gotta say about it.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:36 AM

786 posts, read 1,592,688 times
A little bit of a different perspective. I'm in retirement mode and I don't sweat the small stuff anymore but I do regret it when people who don't know me, avoid me because of my position and education. I've been in my last job for about 5 years hoping for levity and less stress, but am actually isolated because people avoid me. When people get to know me because they're forced to, like having their offices in the same suite, they see me totally different and I have heard my whole life "I didn't like you at first", yikes, poke me with a hot fire iron. I've heard it enough to know it's true but have given up trying to figure it out. I don't flaunt my credentials, nor anything else, I just try to get along but people sometimes make false assumptions about people depending on what they do. Those who brag about how smart they are, use big words they don't understand, or state false beliefs as the truth are truly people I avoid. I admire humble people with expertise which comes in many forms.

Many people are extremely intelligent but don't know it. I was talking to an employee the other day who started out at age 17 emptying the change out of pin ball machines and juke boxes. Sounds rudimentary, right? Well, he developed a system of laying out all the change and picking out the silver (when there used to be silver change) and by replacing the silver with alloy coins, he amassed a small fortune that led to his next step. He paid for his own training in the operation and repair of large machinery. He started buying broken down backhoes, bulldozers, etc., and would repair them and he developed a very successful excavating company. Now he's working for the federal government as a mechanic in facilities, so he can get health insurance and a pension in retirement - smart, but he's also a millionaire and still looking out for the best path into retirement. So as far as I'm concerned, he's a very intelligent insightful guy, in a path that I would never have traveled or even thought of. So intelligence shouldn't scare people off, it's their personality that can be off-putting.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:57 AM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
wisdom is humility & restraint ... as you mature...

saying to yourself....what's the greater good when almost wanting to correct someone??
the wanting to correct is important....

truly confident people … are comfortable in their skin not to want/have to impress others....but also humble enough to laugh at themselves ...or allow others to get your ire up..

immature ..insecure people will constantly be competitive or one-up or brag about what they have or where they are going (vaca trips)

I learned much from my x father in law one of the smartest fella's ive ever met ( …...he was humble not arrogant... and only if asked would he correct someone …

Old 11-23-2019, 07:59 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times
I get what you're saying.

I think guys are intimidated by the fact I can go toe-to-toe on most discussions, will argue my opinion (until proven wrong - in which case I will concede), and expect people to live up to a certain standard in regards to fitness, morals, ambition.
I can be brutally honest but not intentionally mean. And I don't have patience for games.
I'm also super giving and frequently put myself in a position to be taken advantage of.

I'm learning with age and I value all people. I just don't want to be around negativity.

I've developed a great friendship recently. She's kind, transparent and fun. We get along great!

Old 11-23-2019, 10:24 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,786,210 times
I've been labeled gifted, but if you met me you would think I'm just another Joe average intensely in love with animals and very friendly. I can be very intimidating in an argument though.

Old 11-23-2019, 10:39 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,623,242 times
Complicated issue. Some people who consider themselves more intelligent than those around them can sometimes look down upon and or belittle those around them. They may not be doing this consciously, but through things like correcting their grammar, using unnecessarily big or rarely ever used words in conversation, or using education level to shut down meaningful discussions and debates. Some could be the bigotry of the less educated based upon past experiences with people like in the previous example.

Sometimes it’s not about education but workplace bully by experience. I’ve seen some use their time/experience to bully or belittle coworkers with less time or experience on the job. The more experienced have formed enough social networking connections that they feel safe and justified in their behavior. Coworkers with less time and experience form their own clicks and warn new hires to stay away from or be careful around this person.

Old 11-23-2019, 10:57 AM

21,879 posts, read 12,930,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Personally, I find it a massive turn-off when someone refers to their own self as "very intelligent".
Same as describing yourself as "beautiful".

I avoid self-praisers. "In the eye of the beholder" (or listener) and all that.

True intelligence coupled with humility and down-to-earth attitude---I'll stick around for that.
This.

Old 11-23-2019, 12:36 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,340 times
Not intelligence but my serious demeanor can be intimidating. Especially if I want or need it to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology