Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2019, 06:56 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,356,885 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzqn6Z_Iss0

So...I found this extremely interesting. This is a video of a neurologist who does not commit major crimes, who was apparently a pretty well-behaved child who has similar inactive areas of his brain related to morality and other areas as many serial killers and psychopaths.

This is the first person I've seen talk who's personality type doesn't confuse me. Just like me...he gets along better with strangers than people he knows well. Just like me, he has a great deal of interest in the idea of assisting the world in general...but not so much interest in individuals. Just like me saw what might be seen as an alarming discovery to many people as interesting. If I am a pro-social psychopath, I am interested and mildly pleased by that...not alarmed.

I've read articles about this guy. One of them says he's extremely competitive but that he'd rather beat people in a debate or discussion than beat them up. I'm extremely competitive too. I mostly come to this website because I want to essentially conquer people. I want to outsmart them. I want to learn to become smarter than them. I want to appear more empathetic than them too. I want to compete to be the most logical, empathetic appearing person on this website...and that's been my main motivation for posting here since the beginning. I've been looking for progressively more clever people to compete with too. I want to appear wise as well. I want to have all the wisest answers to questions.

In addition to the drive to compete, my instincts also strongly push me to play games other people would probably be confused by, and tell people about my ideas. An example of the type of game I would like to play would be, I'd like to pretend to suicidal, or an alien, or think up various other creative lies and watch people's reactions to those lies for entertainment and as a personal challenge...a game to see if I could convince people to believe me. A large part of me has wished other people wouldn't be hurt by that sort of thing. I've learned that most people are far more easily hurt by that sort of thing than I am. I don't understand what that feels like, but I can see it. My ideal Citi-Data would be filled with trolls. Figuring out who's lying and who isn't could be another game.

Now...why I don't engage in all that lying is because I don't understand the emotional ramifications that would have on most people, and I like to be very careful when I don't understand how people will react. I don't like feeling distrusted. I have very weak emotional ties to individuals. I do not react negatively to harm that comes to others in any major ways...but I like feeling trusted by people. I want to engage in games of lying...but not if other people don't want to. I'd like to act bizarrely around people to watch how they react as an experiment...but not if other people would be worried by that, rather than laugh at it. I know they'd often be worried by that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2019, 10:52 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,190,813 times
You sound exhausting to know.

Old 11-28-2019, 12:05 PM

23,604 posts, read 70,467,118 times
" I mostly come to this website because I want to essentially conquer people. I want to outsmart them. I want to learn to become smarter than them. I want to appear more empathetic than them too. I want to compete to be the most logical, empathetic appearing person on this website...and that's been my main motivation for posting here since the beginning. I've been looking for progressively more clever people to compete with too. I want to appear wise as well. I want to have all the wisest answers to questions."

If you were wiser, you would understand that more reward comes from trying to help people think even more profoundly than you. Then can you get to have greater insight into your own weaknesses and where you need to grow.

BTW, don't troll. We mods take a dim view of such perverse narcissism.

Old 11-28-2019, 12:39 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,994,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post

I'm extremely competitive too. I mostly come to this website because I want to essentially conquer people. I want to outsmart them. I want to learn to become smarter than them. I want to appear more empathetic than them too. I want to compete to be the most logical, empathetic appearing person on this website...and that's been my main motivation for posting here since the beginning. I've been looking for progressively more clever people to compete with too. I want to appear wise as well. I want to have all the wisest answers to questions.
Keep working then. You aren’t there yet.

Quote:

In addition to the drive to compete, my instincts also strongly push me to play games other people would probably be confused by, and tell people about my ideas. An example of the type of game I would like to play would be, I'd like to pretend to suicidal, or an alien, or think up various other creative lies and watch people's reactions to those lies for entertainment and as a personal challenge...a game to see if I could convince people to believe me.
Dumb and sad.

Imagine if you put all that energy into something productive.

Old 11-28-2019, 01:03 PM

534 posts, read 489,864 times
This is all just happening in your mind...you're not really conquering anyone, it's just a game you're playing with yourself.

Which is all fine and good, but as long as you realize that you're the one creating this reality you're living, this "self" that you've invented, is that really the most exciting and creative self you'd like to be? Like BirdieBelle said above, "Imagine if you put all that energy into something productive." You could be any self...and you pick this one? This is what thrills you? I believe you if you say it does, but I'm always a fan of getting people to recognize their higher, authentic self, and the fact that you're needing others (the sociopath and City Data peanut gallery) to show you who you are tells me that you have not yet recognized your own authenticity.

It's true that on City Data, reasonable, thoughtful, insightful responses are largely ignored in favor of inflammatory, shaming, trolling posts. So if you want or crave superficial recognition, this is definitely the way to go. I get that.

Interesting post, I've been procrastinating my Thanksgiving travel and you've given me an interesting topic to think about on my drive. I appreciate your post!

Old 11-28-2019, 01:49 PM

50,834 posts, read 36,551,301 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzqn6Z_Iss0

So...I found this extremely interesting. This is a video of a neurologist who does not commit major crimes, who was apparently a pretty well-behaved child who has similar inactive areas of his brain related to morality and other areas as many serial killers and psychopaths.

This is the first person I've seen talk who's personality type doesn't confuse me. Just like me...he gets along better with strangers than people he knows well. Just like me, he has a great deal of interest in the idea of assisting the world in general...but not so much interest in individuals. Just like me saw what might be seen as an alarming discovery to many people as interesting. If I am a pro-social psychopath, I am interested and mildly pleased by that...not alarmed.

I've read articles about this guy. One of them says he's extremely competitive but that he'd rather beat people in a debate or discussion than beat them up. I'm extremely competitive too. I mostly come to this website because I want to essentially conquer people. I want to outsmart them. I want to learn to become smarter than them. I want to appear more empathetic than them too. I want to compete to be the most logical, empathetic appearing person on this website...and that's been my main motivation for posting here since the beginning. I've been looking for progressively more clever people to compete with too. I want to appear wise as well. I want to have all the wisest answers to questions.

In addition to the drive to compete, my instincts also strongly push me to play games other people would probably be confused by, and tell people about my ideas. An example of the type of game I would like to play would be, I'd like to pretend to suicidal, or an alien, or think up various other creative lies and watch people's reactions to those lies for entertainment and as a personal challenge...a game to see if I could convince people to believe me. A large part of me has wished other people wouldn't be hurt by that sort of thing. I've learned that most people are far more easily hurt by that sort of thing than I am. I don't understand what that feels like, but I can see it. My ideal Citi-Data would be filled with trolls. Figuring out who's lying and who isn't could be another game.

Now...why I don't engage in all that lying is because I don't understand the emotional ramifications that would have on most people, and I like to be very careful when I don't understand how people will react. I don't like feeling distrusted. I have very weak emotional ties to individuals. I do not react negatively to harm that comes to others in any major ways...but I like feeling trusted by people. I want to engage in games of lying...but not if other people don't want to. I'd like to act bizarrely around people to watch how they react as an experiment...but not if other people would be worried by that, rather than laugh at it. I know they'd often be worried by that.
I prefer reading to listening, so I looked up articles on his discoveries and theories. I found this very interesting: https://www.npr.org/templates/story/...ryId=127888976

He shares his brain make up with some very violent ancestors starting with a relative hanged for killing his mother in 1667, and including Lizzy Borden. He attributes the fact he avoided their fate even though sharing their brain structure, to his childhood and how he was brought up. It seems like importantbfindings for understanding killers and nature vs nurture.

Old 11-28-2019, 08:03 PM

6,310 posts, read 4,204,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typical_guinea_pig View Post
This is all just happening in your mind...you're not really conquering anyone, it's just a game you're playing with yourself.

Which is all fine and good, but as long as you realize that you're the one creating this reality you're living, this "self" that you've invented, is that really the most exciting and creative self you'd like to be? Like BirdieBelle said above, "Imagine if you put all that energy into something productive." You could be any self...and you pick this one? This is what thrills you? I believe you if you say it does, but I'm always a fan of getting people to recognize their higher, authentic self, and the fact that you're needing others (the sociopath and City Data peanut gallery) to show you who you are tells me that you have not yet recognized your own authenticity.

It's true that on City Data, reasonable, thoughtful, insightful responses are largely ignored in favor of inflammatory, shaming, trolling posts. So if you want or crave superficial recognition, this is definitely the way to go. I get that.

Interesting post, I've been procrastinating my Thanksgiving travel and you've given me an interesting topic to think about on my drive. I appreciate your post!

I can’t say I found the post interesting but yes I think you nailed it in the bolded part.

Old 11-28-2019, 11:26 PM

5,494 posts, read 3,938,765 times
I was the one who initially told you about the neuroscientist you mention in your OP, in your previous (or a previous--you may have made multiple) thread about psychopathy. How many City-Data competition points is that worth?

Old 11-29-2019, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
" I mostly come to this website because I want to essentially conquer people. I want to outsmart them. I want to learn to become smarter than them. I want to appear more empathetic than them too. I want to compete to be the most logical, empathetic appearing person on this website...and that's been my main motivation for posting here since the beginning. I've been looking for progressively more clever people to compete with too. I want to appear wise as well. I want to have all the wisest answers to questions."

If you were wiser, you would understand that more reward comes from trying to help people think even more profoundly than you. Then can you get to have greater insight into your own weaknesses and where you need to grow.
#1. Why can I not both try to help people while trying to compete with them? Why can't they be one in the same. In my case they usually are...as you can see from the majority of my posts.

#2. There's nothing I've mentioned that's perverse narcissism. I'd say it's healthy narcissism, if anything. I just described to you my motivations for being a better person...that's all. I want to compete to become a better person. That's a good thing.

Quote:
BTW, don't troll. We mods take a dim view of such perverse narcissism.
How am I trolling?

I think the reactions to this thread are merely a bizarre opposition to anything unusual. If people would actually read the post...I doubt they'd see anything particularly alarming. What you'd see is someone with perhaps some unusual motivations...or maybe not...but who handles them in a healthy manner.

Yeah...I'd love to lie to people about being an alien. I have not done that though...due to empathy. That's a positive character trait. There's no reason for anyone to worry about that.

I've pretended to be sad at funerals too...because of my empathy for other people. Again, that's pretty clearly a positive character trait.

I am a pretty decent person...despite not really reacting on an emotional level when my dogs died, or my father developed spinal cancer...and that's awesome. Over Thanksgiving yesterday, I spent several hours keeping my seven year old cousin entertained because he was lonely because there weren't other children around...and I probably would not react if he died. Every two weeks I go to movies with my uncle with frontal lobe dementia...because I care about him and his wife...in my way...and I suspect if he died tomorrow my emotional reaction would be, "Well...that's a few dollars more saved per week."

I help people despite not really caring whether they live or die on an emotional level...and we live in this wonderful society in which most people think that makes a decent person...and they're correct.

If I'd go to some afterlife and would never see any of my relatives or acquaintances ever again...I'd be totally fine with that. You're all basically interchangeable to me...but, I care about you anyway...in my abstract, unemotional way...and that's awesome...just so long as I don't have kids, which I have no intention of doing.

Last edited by Clintone; 11-29-2019 at 05:46 AM..

Old 11-29-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by typical_guinea_pig View Post

I think I am putting my energy into something productive. People come here for advice and researched information. I provide good advice and researched data. I have a number of great threads over on the philosophy forum that describe views that I think might be one of the few sorts of behaviors that might really extend the likelihood of the survival of our species over the long term...if I can find a way to get enough people to read them.

I've also spent many hours in the politics forum researching global warming and various other topics...again, in an attempt to assist the species. I like to give people good advice too. I think I'm skilled at that. I think I'm more skilled at seeing the world clearly than most people, so I like to use that.

Quote:

Who said I ever make shaming, trolling posts? I am quite proud of most of my posts. I've spent many hours researching or thinking about many of them. I rarely make a post without putting a lot of thought into it.

What's with all these assumptions that my drive to compete does not actually make me want to be a better person? I specifically stated that I wanted to appear wise. Does someone who trolls and rants and spouts forth un-researched ventings sound wise to you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology