Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2019, 01:50 AM

61,672 posts, read 87,060,489 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Good question. My roommate takes hours to get ready. Washed his vehicle several times a week. Keeps the yard clean. But his personal living area. What a mess.

I wonder what thought process feeds that.

Only cares about what people see? His mind is whacky.
Keeping up appearances...?
But seriously - I don't know. One of my friends, a psychiatrist, is living in a beautiful historic house - a stunning hacienda with hand carved antique furniture. The living room and the guests restroom are immaculate, but the master bedroom? There is a huge antique bed with a ceiling high pile of clothes and dozens, if not hundred pairs of shoes kept in bags and big boxes. The master bathroom is a mess, with cosmetics and other paraphernalia spread on every usable surface. The kitchen is a mess of piles of to go boxes, paper plates, drink cups, sink full of dishes, dirty pots and pans - she cooks occasionally and she is a very good cook.
There is a credenza with few sets of china - vintage and modern. Cupboards with real glasses and cups.
The house has 9 spacious bedrooms, full furnished, so there are plenty of antique armoire wardrobe storages and chests, but she has the enormous pile of clothes on her bed. There is a couch in her bedroom, and she sleeps on it because there is no space on the bed. However, she seems to know exactly where everything is.
When she comes to work, everything she wears is very expensive and in perfect condition, all spotless and ironed, her shoes polished, not one hair out of order.
You wouldn't never guess the mess in her house... (She surely could afford a maid or two.)
So, what is it? Lack of time? Not getting bothered with trivial things? Or she does not place a high priority on having everything clean, organized, and in its place, at home.
Her office is very tidy.
She is single, in long term relationship with SO living separately, they just "visit" each other and that's her preference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 06:39 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,399,160 times
Hoarding and squalor tendencies. Some afflicted with these tendencies struggle quite a lot. Others do not, or are not even aware of it.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:28 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
It's a sign of depression.
It can be but some people are just slobs.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:27 AM

17,613 posts, read 17,649,156 times
Another possible reason is true depression and self loathing. Step out the house for school or work and you put on a mask. Once home the mask comes off and you allow the depression and self loathing to take over again.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:46 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,574,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
You've pretty much answered it yourself. The image is just that, a deliberate affectation --- perhaps a way of getting women or getting respect ---

How is having dirty carpets....dirty dishes all over the kitchen......& clutter all over....going to help anyone get women?

IMO it's not intentional.....it's a sign of depression or procrastination.....& it would affect all areas of your life & not just at your home.......

Old 12-09-2019, 10:15 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,424,223 times
I don't think there's a whole lot to it. I don't think it's anything more complicated than someone that puts on a uniform to go to work.

IE, someone in a white collar office environment is expected to dress and groom a certain way. They keep their car nice since the car is an expensive piece of equipment and maintaining its value as best you can is wise. The yard similarly requires work, or else it dies, and costs money to bring back and brings the value of the home down.

Piles of Laundry? Can be quickly remedied. A dirty bathroom? Same.

Old 12-09-2019, 03:35 PM

946 posts, read 775,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
The house painter with an unfinished room at home, the mechanic whose car always seems to put hos own repairs on the back burner, etc?
Me, I have some piles strewn here and there (mostly laundry) and I confess that a small part of that is some measure of rebellion over the need to be neat and orderly at work, because making messes there would have a negative impact on my co-workers. I can be a bit of a slob and home and it only affects me.
Ditto,

I've very professional and organized at work. Outside of work I'm a different person. I even have a different name. Figure that one out.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:03 PM

19,615 posts, read 12,215,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
Ditto,

I've very professional and organized at work. Outside of work I'm a different person. I even have a different name. Figure that one out.
You're a spy.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:18 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,859,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin65 View Post
Ditto,

You are some sort of entertainer?

Old 12-09-2019, 04:19 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,360,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Psychology is the study of human behavior. Analyzing human behavior in a Psychology forum (such as this Psychology forum) could not be more appropriate, and analysis and study of human behavior is the basis on which the discipline and knowledge base of psychology exists.
Sure...certainly - and I rarely if ever see any research/studies cited in ANY of the Psychology forum threads. Mostly everybody is just pondering and assuming and accusing and supposing and wondering....little to no analysis, and certainly no "discipline".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology