Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2019, 12:35 AM

4,043 posts, read 3,771,686 times

Advertisements

It seems like of the messy people I know or have heard about, they all seem to have the clean public image in common. And I'm not talking about a few piles here and there, I'm talking about clutter and crap strewn all across the floor for an indefinite amount of time. Dirty carpets. Piles of dishes all over the kitchen, etc. But these people would drive fancy sports cars, wear designer clothing, etc. It seems like other things they have in common are a charming personality but unstable when it comes to more serious situations that require regular adult responsibility. I have heard that living that messy means they have a hard time focusing. I have a hard time focusing sometimes too but the funny thing is, I would start cleaning if I can't focus. Guess people are different. Just trying to understand the psychology behind this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2019, 03:45 AM

720 posts, read 428,197 times
Do you understand the psychology of a few piles here and there?
It's probably the same but in different degrees.
Maybe a combination of laziness, procrastination and depression?

You said that you have heard that living that messy means they have a hard time focusing.
Focusing on what?

Old 12-08-2019, 05:18 AM

61,660 posts, read 87,041,175 times
I would not ponder on or analyze the living styles of others. If their living choices aren't affecting their "public" life, then is it not my business...

Old 12-08-2019, 05:49 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,446,284 times
Howard hughes Jr.
Yeah there was a gent that was one thing to the public and bizarrely unkempt in private.

He was insanely rich and got that first part pretty much mastered.

Actually met some well to do on paper anyways. Often underplayed their wealth and didn't take much pride in their public image . Yet there life style at home was well preserved. One gent had a beautiful restored antebellum home with lamas he was sheering for wool.

Guess image means alot to some...I rarely get that warm fuzzy from that choice. Seems disengenuois.

Old 12-08-2019, 05:58 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,362 times
I must admit, as someone who has always been obsessed with living in a clean environment, I have always wanted to understand why someone would choose to live in filth. I’m not talking about “neatnessâ€, but literally living in a dirty house. I used to have several friends who fit that description over the years. I once had a friend who had been hospitalized for a few weeks. While she was hospitalized I was caring for her dog, which required daily visits to her home. I meticulously cleaned the entire place, which took several days. When she came home she thanked me profusely and appeared shocked at how different her house appeared. Within two weeks it was back to its prior condition. She confided that she “could not relax†in that environment and could not wait to get it back to what she was used to. Lesson learned but, I still don’t “get itâ€. What makes someone feel more at home†in a dirty, messy environment. I wish I could understand it.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:11 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I would not ponder on or analyze the living styles of others. If their living choices aren't affecting their "public" life, then is it not my business...
Fine. But that means they are phony then.

Old 12-08-2019, 06:25 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
It seems like of the messy people I know or have heard about, they all seem to have the clean public image in common. And I'm not talking about a few piles here and there, I'm talking about clutter and crap strewn all across the floor for an indefinite amount of time. Dirty carpets. Piles of dishes all over the kitchen, etc. But these people would drive fancy sports cars, wear designer clothing, etc. It seems like other things they have in common are a charming personality but unstable when it comes to more serious situations that require regular adult responsibility. I have heard that living that messy means they have a hard time focusing. I have a hard time focusing sometimes too but the funny thing is, I would start cleaning if I can't focus. Guess people are different. Just trying to understand the psychology behind this.
Aaaaaaahhhhh...Grasshopper, young student of psychology...you still think people are logical and rational in ways you should easily understand?

Old 12-08-2019, 08:02 AM

9,852 posts, read 4,630,527 times
The title says it-a 'sharp public image'. Politicians and celebrities call that good PR.

Sounds like a contrived image to say the least especially for him because it must be work trying to keep those clothes clean, pressed, ironed etc. Deflection for who they really are? Always want to be highly thought of? Hiding a drug or alcohol problem? And/or yes a hardtime focusing, short attention span or the fear of getting dirty cleaning up their own mess-eewwweeee.

Definitely a distraction for the public and/or themselves.

Old 12-08-2019, 08:46 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
The house painter with an unfinished room at home, the mechanic whose car always seems to put hos own repairs on the back burner, etc?
Me, I have some piles strewn here and there (mostly laundry) and I confess that a small part of that is some measure of rebellion over the need to be neat and orderly at work, because making messes there would have a negative impact on my co-workers. I can be a bit of a slob and home and it only affects me.

Old 12-08-2019, 09:31 AM

12,061 posts, read 10,266,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
Good question. My roommate takes hours to get ready. Washed his vehicle several times a week. Keeps the yard clean. But his personal living area. What a mess.

I wonder what thought process feeds that.

Only cares about what people see? His mind is whacky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology