Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 07:04 PM

1,088 posts, read 578,073 times

Advertisements

I've posted about this topic before, but I'm doing so again as it's affecting me more directly nowadays...

Can someone explain to me the mindset that "dirty" humor is the only way to get laughs anymore? Look, I'm not one of those people who get offended by a raunchy joke now and again, but it does make me uncomfortable when people seem incapable of being funny without it.

The reason I bring this up again is because I've been taking classes in improv theater, which if you don't know is a form of acting without a script or any advance preparation. I really enjoy this and intend to continue long-term. But it astounds me how virtually all my classmates seem super-comfortable making very R-rated references in front of everyone else, sometimes even during their very first class. What's more, the instructor encourages this, insisting it's a "guaranteed laugh."

I happen to believe it's possible to be funny without going that route. Furthermore, I've proven this, as some of my scenes in class have gotten big laughs and weren't even the slightest bit raunchy. I can certainly handle others doing this, but I don't feel comfortable with it and feel like this attitude from the others will impede my progress as a performer.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 07:13 PM

1,156 posts, read 940,137 times
The only person that will impede your progress is you. Don't worry about what others are doing.

Old 12-15-2019, 07:46 PM

2,575 posts, read 2,074,625 times
No, one of my favorite comedians is fairly "clean" by stand-up standards. It's about timing and delivery, no matter if it's PG, PG-13, or R rated.

Old 12-15-2019, 08:19 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
It's a guaranteed laugh because it appeals to the least common denominator. You don't have to think very hard to "get it."

It's one of the reasons Saturday Night Live isn't actually that funny nowadays. If you pay attention, you'll notice that the writers rely on the same group of topics for a lot of the punch lines: anal sex, being gay (as a pejorative), Satan, etc. It's like they just aren't thinking very hard.

I find the funniest comedians to be those who are smart and original, and I think they are funniest because you can't see the joke coming from a mile away. People like Stephen Wright and Demetri Martin. I also think Henry Cho is hilarious and doesn't use "blue humor."

I guess one of the greatest of all time, George Carlin, used a LOT of offensive words but he was so smart about it that it didn't seem so bad.

Old 12-16-2019, 01:12 AM

19,383 posts, read 15,220,746 times
No, you don't have to be R-rated to be funny. But you can also be R-rated and be funny. I'm always surprised at the disconnect on this topic.

Funny is funny. That's all there is to it.

I'm not offended by "language," per se, but I'm certainly not going to be "jazzed" just by hearing it; it's not going to assure a laugh from me.

I will say this, I can tell within minutes, even one minute, whether I'm going to like a performance or not. I call it out every time. It's not the language; it's the LOUD presence, the repeating of phrases, which amounts to just filler because you can't fill the whole hour with real material. I'm so sick of it, and even headliners do it, they make one point, one sentence, and then they keep repeating it and repeating it throughout the various topics of their act. , thus filling up the time they have to fill.

I'll bring up Jim Gaffigan, for one, only because we just rewatched several of his specials lately (also happens to work very clean). He goes through his whole routine, just talking, never repeats one sentence. No filler. QUALITY (over quantity).

Old 12-16-2019, 04:02 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
To me vulgarity has been pushed as funny to point of it not being funny.

In my mind, I just roll my eyes when I hear someone trying to use R-rated stuff to be funny. It’s been done. I’m not 12. Please try a more unique angle.

Oh, and please don’t think using 20 curse words to deliver your R-rated humor will make it funnier.

Feels like the Walmart version of comedy.

Right now the most annoying comic on earth might be Kevin Hart.

Women comics that take the angle of “being a woman that talks about vulgar stuff” is like nails on a chalk board...Sarah Silverman I’m looking at you.

Old 12-16-2019, 05:33 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post
I've posted about this topic before, but I'm doing so again as it's affecting me more directly nowadays...

Can someone explain to me the mindset that "dirty" humor is the only way to get laughs anymore? Look, I'm not one of those people who get offended by a raunchy joke now and again, but it does make me uncomfortable when people seem incapable of being funny without it.

The reason I bring this up again is because I've been taking classes in improv theater, which if you don't know is a form of acting without a script or any advance preparation. I really enjoy this and intend to continue long-term. But it astounds me how virtually all my classmates seem super-comfortable making very R-rated references in front of everyone else, sometimes even during their very first class. What's more, the instructor encourages this, insisting it's a "guaranteed laugh."

I happen to believe it's possible to be funny without going that route. Furthermore, I've proven this, as some of my scenes in class have gotten big laughs and weren't even the slightest bit raunchy. I can certainly handle others doing this, but I don't feel comfortable with it and feel like this attitude from the others will impede my progress as a performer.

Your thoughts?
I'm with you, even if no one else is. Though I'm not fine with others doing it. It is the quickest guarantee that I will walk out of a movie, a theater, or change channels.

I can't tolerate raunchy, nasty 'entertainment.'

Old 12-16-2019, 05:56 AM

7,899 posts, read 3,450,203 times
One of the funniest stand up acts I ever saw was by Bill Cosby and it was very family friendly. I've rarely laughed so hard in my life. I do not think jokes have to be raunchy to be funny at all. I also thought Dave Chappelle's latest special was funny as heck as well though, so I'm not against raunchy humor, I just don't think it's necessary.

Old 12-16-2019, 06:24 AM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I can enjoy both. Jerry Seinfeld has made a pretty good living being funny without being dirty. On the other hand, I’ve enjoyed Ron White for years, and he gets pretty filthy.

I have more of a problem with comedians who just aren’t funny....dirty or clean.

Old 12-16-2019, 06:50 AM

9,301 posts, read 8,342,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael917 View Post

Your thoughts?
From my perspective, nothing is a guaranteed laugh. Just being R-rated, or raunchy in and of itself is not a guaranteed laugh. I remember that one movie i saw, "This is the End" with Seth Rogen and other than the gluten joke at the beginning, and the Pineapple Express II bit, I kept a completely straight face throughout the whole thing. It just didn't connect. I walked away disappointed because I remember laughing a lot at Pineapple Express and another film Seth Rogen was in, but not "This is the End" It just relied too much on R rated humor.

I'm more into deadpan, nonchalant humor, particularly when people say normal things and then say something absurd in a nonchalant way (best I can explain it). Or better yet, honest humor. When people say things that you wouldn't expect them to say, but it is the truth type of comedy. The best thing is that this type of comedy can be R rated, but it doesn't have to be.

I also like 4th wall breaks, and the type of comedy that does not look at itself as if to say Hey!!! Look at me!!! I'm comedy. I'm funny!!! Laugh!!! Please Laugh!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology