Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 04:06 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times

Advertisements

Lindsay, Kevin, and Michael Vick......Britney Spears does not belong in this group, she has a serious mental illness.

Conservatorships as extensive as the one she is under are not put in place easily or without good reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 04:19 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,022,441 times
I'd be careful throwing around "dirtball" and "poor/low class" judgments, Jimmy.

Old 12-16-2019, 04:27 PM

1,166 posts, read 876,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KemBro71 View Post
I'd be careful throwing around "dirtball" and "poor/low class" judgments, Jimmy.
"Dirtball Drama" was just the phrase I came up with to easily describe my idea.

And I agree with BirdieBelle that low class applies to both rich and poor.

Old 12-16-2019, 05:06 PM

6,587 posts, read 4,972,969 times
I do agree with the OP in general, but have to also agree with the second poster. I have a colleague who is very well off, who just goes round and round with scenarios and phone calls and emails and Facebook nonsense. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, is a crisis. And if it's not, she'll turn it into one. She gets the littlest wiff of something and it all starts. "I heard Aunt Sally is sick, ooo-mmmm-gggg if she dies what is going to happen to her car?! I mean, I've always loved that car. She knows that. I mean, it deserves to be with me, so I can honor her by driving it. And CRIPES I found out her executor HATES ME. Always has. I'm going to have to contest the will!!!! Oh whatever will I do?!"

Keep in mind, Aunt Sally has 5 children, who would be in line to inherit anything, and just has a simple cold. Plus, she doesn't like Aunt Sally much anyway and hasn't talked to her in 7 years.

I finally told her that talking to me meant she was in a drama free zone, so if she's going to bring up drama to me, I'm walking away. I have no comment, no opinion. I don't even care a little bit.

(names have been changed and details modified to protect the not-so innocent)

Old 12-16-2019, 05:30 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,129,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moongirl00 View Post
I think its just a certain personality style, which can occur among poor/low class people as well as among wealthy people. Wealthy people are usually just able to hide it better, as someone up thread said; they can afford lawyers, they have more resources at their disposal to help them get away with stuff.

Just to give anecdotal evidence, I live in a lower middle class neighborhood currently, with a trailer park up the street, but its extremely peaceful and quiet here. No drama, no parties, no cops showing up due to "domestic disturbances" or anything. There are older people living on social security, some working class families with young kids, some single people, some childless couples, and everybody is just pretty reclusive and quiet. I think I just live in a rural quiet area that doesn't appeal to the "drama majors," so the drama majors don't come here.

Its a "drama major" personality style, and that can occur among people of any level of wealth.
I agree with almost everything on this thread, but have to disagree with the idea that rural quiet areas don’t appeal to drama majors. Many people seek out country living to raise hell, or they have dysfunctional teens who cause trouble, so they move them to the country. Assorted druggies are common in the rural area I live in and years ago when living in a small rural town in Texas, it had dysfunctional teens throughout the neighborhood. Plenty of drama and craziness went on there. One night, one of the local boys, high on who knows what, ran alongside our car, then tried to jump in front of it and almost got himself killed. Not the first crazy thing that went on there by any means.

You are lucky to have found a place that is reclusive and quiet. A local methhead recently ran into a lady and her kid down the street. It was a fairly serious crash, but still..nothing like the holiday season in a quiet rural area.

Last edited by Taz22; 12-16-2019 at 06:25 PM..

Old 12-17-2019, 09:54 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
No particular comment other than that bad choices can make a rich man poor.

I do have an ironic anecdote that came to mind when I saw the word "dirtball." DH and I and a pair of married friends enjoyed motorcycling together and in the summer would ride around through many towns on the weekends for recreation.

We are all clean, professionally employed, educated family people who dress appropriately and keep our bikes in good repair. I don't know how she does it but she can ride all afternoon and still look like she's just combed her hair. One of those lucky people.

So on this sunny Sunday we came to this little town and were thirsty. Nothing was open but a little tavern and we went in for cokes. None of us drink while riding.

When we opened the door to this dark, beery place all we saw were four or five guys hunched over beers at the bar looking like they'd sat there since Saturday night.

All we heard was one muttered phrase, "Oh look. Here come the dirtballs."

After that we called our rides "Dirtball Runs." Have had many good laughs over that through the years.

"Dirtball" is in the eye of the beholder. LOL

Old 12-17-2019, 09:59 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
I think its just a certain personality style, which can occur among poor/low class people as well as among wealthy people. Wealthy people are usually just able to hide it better, as someone up thread said; they can afford lawyers, they have more resources at their disposal to help them get away with stuff.

Just to give anecdotal evidence, I live in a lower middle class neighborhood currently, with a trailer park up the street, but its extremely peaceful and quiet here. No drama, no parties, no cops showing up due to "domestic disturbances" or anything. There are older people living on social security, some working class families with young kids, some single people, some childless couples, and everybody is just pretty reclusive and quiet. I think I just live in a rural quiet area that doesn't appeal to the "drama majors," so the drama majors don't come here.

Its a "drama major" personality style, and that can occur among people of any level of wealth.
You ARE lucky. Sometimes it takes just one new neighbor to move in and cause havoc.

It is sad when a neighborhood goes bad because lowlifes move in. I think my town is getting like that, no trailers needed. These loud, trashy people have money. My hope was to go more rural but could run into the same problems.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:42 AM

4,382 posts, read 2,280,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
You ARE lucky. Sometimes it takes just one new neighbor to move in and cause havoc.

It is sad when a neighborhood goes bad because lowlifes move in. I think my town is getting like that, no trailers needed. These loud, trashy people have money. My hope was to go more rural but could run into the same problems.

I heard the people who lived in my house before I did were that way. Loud parties and drugs. My neighbor is a very reclusive older man and when I moved in he was ecstatic, because he could tell I was going to be quiet and reclusive as well.

We are all hoping it stays this way.

Old 12-17-2019, 11:36 AM

Quote:
I heard the people who lived in my house before I did were that way. Loud parties and drugs. My neighbor is a very reclusive older man and when I moved in he was ecstatic, because he could tell I was going to be quiet and reclusive as well.

We are all hoping it stays this way.
What is happening in my area is the older people are moving to retirement homes or pass away, and most of the new replacements have been noisy and disrespectful. Just a way of life that is normal for them.

Old 12-17-2019, 12:09 PM

Quote:
The last place I lived in was bad. Loud music, parties all night, dogs, mototcycles going by in the middle of the night, gun shots. It was a high crime gang area.

My current town has pretty low crime and its peaceful. I dont know if the demographics make the difference. My other neighbor is a single young woman like me and she is quieter than a mouse. Never hear a thing from her house. The families down the street have kids and they are extremely quiet too.

If I had to move again I think I'd look at crime rate and things like graffiti, low rider cars, signs of gang activity, and avoid that place.
My area has little crime and no gangs or anything like that. It is simply the lifestyle of the new people moving in to be loud and obnoxious. I guess they are blue collar but that didn't used to matter so much, now it is more of a culture. They do have a lot of "toys" like Harleys and diesel trucks, so that is a sign to look out for. I'm a quiet introvert so it is incompatible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology