Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 10:11 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,319,291 times

Advertisements

This is a bit off topic I'm middle aged and see and feel future mortality for middle aged people. I remember as a kid feeling like my lifespan was semi-permanent. Old age was so far into the future. Of course children/adolescents die of disease and accidents but that is unlikely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2019, 06:45 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I remember my boss telling me that he read somewhere that when you are fifty, half the people who were born the same day you were are already dead.
I wonder if those people who are already dead at 50 were U.S. citizens or if it included third world countries also? That would seem to be more probable.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:17 AM

20,756 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
I remember my boss telling me that he read somewhere that when you are fifty, half the people who were born the same day you were are already dead.

So you are ahead of the game.
Doesn't surprise me a bit. All my older friends have lost some of their friends already.

I noticed in the 30s alot of illnesses or chronic diseases start up on people. In the 40s, everyone seems to have some sort of medical issue, immune disese or chronic pain and is on medication. If you are over 50, people around you start dying off.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:21 AM

1,096 posts, read 418,142 times
Quote:
Wow, hadn't heard that. My brother died at 20. My husband has lost 3 siblings and pretty sure they were all under 50 at the time (one I'd have to ask him about). But their Mom is still going strong in her 80s. We've lost several friends. But never heard that before... wow.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:28 AM

1,831 posts, read 3,196,756 times
I liked the story about the 100 year old lady that attributed her long life to eating bacon every day. Also, there is a story about a man who is 110 and he smokes cigars every evening because they, "Make me feel good."

Old 12-30-2019, 10:24 AM

127 posts, read 61,359 times
Cheer up! I just hit 49 yesterday so the countdown to the big 50 begins! I feel great and look great, heck, i'm still here so that alone is worth celebrating.

Old 12-30-2019, 11:00 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
You know I never thought about it, but you are right there are reasons to why we are the first generation of 50 year olds to look as great as we do because we know about the dangers of smoking, also we avoided the sun for the most part, and we have healthier habits like walking/strength training, also, maybe most important, we have a younger mindset. We don't go easy into the sunset and think a number dictates how we should live or think. I remember seeing pictures of my grandparents and at 50 and 60, they look a lot older, dressed older, and probably thought much more differently than I do at the same age. I know that they went though more at a younger age though: war and the Depression and those things do age a person. They said the young men that went into World War II came back old men, someone said that, they physically looked old and tired beyond their years. In contrast, look at contemporaries and celebrities that are in their 50s today, they look amazing. I also feel like I am still in my 20s mindset wise, but sometimes I do have aches getting up after I am sitting on the floor, but nothing to complain about
I grew up in South Florida and my biggest concern is sun damage and getting cancer from it. I'm very careful now, but sunburns show their effects 20-30 years later. My arms look awful from sun damage (in my opinion) and I've tried unsuccessfully to have spots removed. All they did was singe my arm hair, which sucks because it hasn't grown back 7ish months later. Ugh. My only other concern is the affect depression and isolation is having on me. I don't want to live another 30 years if it means living alone. No thanks. Life is better shared with someone in my view, unlike what many of the loners say here.

Old 12-30-2019, 02:49 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I grew up in South Florida and my biggest concern is sun damage and getting cancer from it.
I have lived in Texas and Arizona, which are Sun Belt states, like Florida. I have been an devoted wearer of sunscreen.

Old 12-30-2019, 04:26 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,789,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I have lived in Texas and Arizona, which are Sun Belt states, like Florida. I have been an devoted wearer of sunscreen.
Me too, but 40 years ago sunscreen wasn't as advanced as today. I wear the strongest sunscreen I can, but it doesn't reverse previous damage. I've been diligent about it for at least the past 20 years, but worried about the damage before then. I see a dermatologist twice a year as well. Thats all I can do at this point.

Old 12-30-2019, 04:50 PM

1,045 posts, read 758,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cis_love View Post
50 just seems really old to me! I've always been told I look 10 years younger than my true age (plus I have a 10 yo child). I feel like I can't accept the fact I'm turning 50. Is 50 old??
I'm turning 50 next month too. I look younger than my age and feel it as well, so I doubt being half a century old will affect me much. I'll feel differently when I turn 60, certainly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology