Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 08:46 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,358 times

Advertisements

Why is it that some people become so disliking toward someone who does not come out of the house often? Why can't people just accept it that some people would rather spend more time indoors, especially someone dealing with psych problems and physical disabilities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2019, 09:09 AM

9,880 posts, read 4,646,105 times
I know adult alcoholics that get mad when you don't want to go out to drink with them. They usually are seeking validation for their behavior. Also know foodies that get mad when you don't want to go out to fancy expensive restaurants.

Old 12-31-2019, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
I know adult alcoholics that get mad when you don't want to go out to drink with them. They usually are seeking validation for their behavior. Also know foodies that get mad when you don't want to go out to fancy expensive restaurants.
Oh, I see now.. seriously was not thinking about it that way. I asked this because it unsettles me when people talk badly about those who are mostly homebodies. Lots of people have medical issues that keeps us mostly close to home. I know for myself, I would much rather stay in with my condition and take care of myself than forcing myself out just to please someone else, then ending up in the ER.

Old 12-31-2019, 10:07 AM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
They can't imagine you might prefer it because they themselves are so needy of external attention and stimulation. So they get uncomfortable with what they don't understand and have to criticize it.

Old 12-31-2019, 10:22 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Who is telling you these things?

And please don't say "society" or "TV" or "The Internet"

Old 12-31-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Who is telling you these things?

And please don't say "society" or "TV" or "The Internet"
No, not tv or Internet. It's just a few people that are quite critical of those who don't have what most others have or do whatever most others do.

Old 12-31-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
They can't imagine you might prefer it because they themselves are so needy of external attention and stimulation. So they get uncomfortable with what they don't understand and have to criticize it.
This also makes sense, especially external stimulation. I am one of the few around here without much desire for it although I do occasionally get out and have no problem with those who go out all the time. I find my peace in arts and crafts, other indoor hobbies such as cooking and diy. I have just always wondered why so many seem to dislike private people.

Old 12-31-2019, 10:57 AM

9,880 posts, read 4,646,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
This also makes sense, especially external stimulation. I am one of the few around here without much desire for it although I do occasionally get out and have no problem with those who go out all the time. I find my peace in arts and crafts, other indoor hobbies such as cooking and diy. I have just always wondered why so many seem to dislike private people.

I've come to view humans as pack animals. Everyone wants to keep up with the herd. In human's case it's about keeping up with the Jones's and status;not for survival. Those who criticize like that are followers.

Some people even adults want playmates much akin to a child coming out to play. It's about them not you. Others don't want their family or friends to influence their image. And again it's about validating their behavior/choices.

Old 12-31-2019, 11:24 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
No, not tv or Internet. It's just a few people that are quite critical of those who don't have what most others have or do whatever most others do.
Who are these people? Your parents? Your teachers? Your neighbors? Your therapist? Your parole officer?

Old 12-31-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Who are these people? Your parents? Your teachers? Your neighbors? Your therapist? Your parole officer?
Neighbors. I don't have a teacher or parole officer. Have never been in that sort of trouble. I just don't see how it matters that much though who is doing the talking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology