Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 09:01 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with guided sleep meditation YouTube videos? Here's an example: https://youtu.be/K-HVCjLwvTI

I started watching YouTube videos on my smartphone, to help get to sleep faster, over a year ago. (before, it usually took about a half-hour or longer for me to get to sleep, most nights) I started out watching Bob Ross episodes. That worked well, except that the music at the end of each episode would wake me up again.

Then, I tried out the meditation app Headspace. But, the free content was very limited. So, last summer, I started watching free videos similar to the one linked to, above. It's sort of like someone helping you count sheep.

But, (and here is why I'm starting this thread) I have been feeling kind of "down" since last August/September. I seem to lack motivation, and feelings of happiness often seem to be diminished. It's difficult to put my finger on, which is why I can't really explain it better than that. I can't think of any other personal changes that might have caused this, except that I started watching these meditation videos. So, I'm going to stop watching them, and see if my general mood improves. But I would like to know if others have experience with these videos, or if there are other possible causes/solutions.

To be clear, I'm not concerned about clinical depression, and probably won't see a doctor, at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2020, 09:41 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I don't know about the videos in particular, but there have been studies that reveal negative side effects of meditation in general, and a lack of motivation is one of them.

You can Google lots of articles about it.

Old 01-01-2020, 10:13 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,374,578 times
I could see a relaxing process leading to feelings of stagnation. I have not really had this happen to me, but I am very motivated right now. I have severe ADD though and learning to turn off my brain has been a lifelong process.

Old 06-19-2020, 09:08 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
So many are uptight and stressed and getting into meditation can do wonders. And I'm talking about a simple Silent Meditation routine daily...nothing to think about just be Silent and don't fall asleep. Do this maybe 15-20 minutes daily and your life could change.

Old 06-20-2020, 02:46 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Does anyone have experience with guided sleep meditation YouTube videos? Here's an example: https://youtu.be/K-HVCjLwvTI

I started watching YouTube videos on my smartphone, to help get to sleep faster, over a year ago. (before, it usually took about a half-hour or longer for me to get to sleep, most nights) I started out watching Bob Ross episodes. That worked well, except that the music at the end of each episode would wake me up again.

Then, I tried out the meditation app Headspace. But, the free content was very limited. So, last summer, I started watching free videos similar to the one linked to, above. It's sort of like someone helping you count sheep.

But, (and here is why I'm starting this thread) I have been feeling kind of "down" since last August/September. I seem to lack motivation, and feelings of happiness often seem to be diminished. It's difficult to put my finger on, which is why I can't really explain it better than that. I can't think of any other personal changes that might have caused this, except that I started watching these meditation videos. So, I'm going to stop watching them, and see if my general mood improves. But I would like to know if others have experience with these videos, or if there are other possible causes/solutions.

To be clear, I'm not concerned about clinical depression, and probably won't see a doctor, at this point.
Sounds like theres something you don't want to deal with.
No-one changes until it hurts enough to move forward from where they are.

I thought the video was great. But I think those tapes cannot relax a person who isn't at peace within.
There is nothing external that can change a persons state of being.
Its a bit like a band aid on cancer.

Old 06-20-2020, 06:57 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I don't know about the videos in particular, but there have been studies that reveal negative side effects of meditation in general, and a lack of motivation is one of them.

Really! I didn't know this. Good, because I could never get the hang of it.

Also, there *could* be a subversive message in there, going to your subconscious!

Old 06-20-2020, 08:39 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Since this got bumped, I'll give a bit of an update.

I think my "down" feelings were unrelated to the videos. Not long after I created this thread, I stopped listening to them, unless I really was having a hard time getting to sleep. I found that my mood did improve, and I gained some motivation. But, with everything that's been going on since March, I've fallen back into the habit of listening to the videos. I now seem to prefer "sleep visualizations" more than actual meditation themes, though. Anyway, I have not fallen back into a depressed mood.

Old 06-21-2020, 05:34 PM

720 posts, read 428,809 times
personally I struggle with motivation anyway. Meditation actually helped me in a time where my thoughts where rushing and I couldn't slow down. It helped me understand what it means to judge your own thoughts and stop it.

It helps me calm down and reset. But it's not the answer to everything. Each situation needs different solutions.
If your problem is the lack of motivation, try doing stuff the moment you think them.

For example, I am very often postponing cleaning my house.
And sometimes I think "Ill do it tomorrow when I am in the mood". Then I think "you know what, I'll do it cause if I don't I will feel bad about it and have it in the back of my head".
Sometimes it helps to push yourself. Of course if I'm really feeling down I don't do it :P

Old 06-21-2020, 06:11 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post

Hmm, I've never heard about this. Will look up some info on it.

Old 06-21-2020, 06:16 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
My GP taught me how to get to sleep. After you get comfortable in bed, close your eyes and turn your eyeballs up really hard until it hurts a little. Then just slowly let your eyeballs come down, keeping your eyelids closed the entire time. It makes me yawn and go to sleep really fast and wake up refreshed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology