Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2020, 09:06 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Or just start talking to someone else.

Are they just rude or is it that your not just interesting enough to listen to?

I’ve had some people do this from time to time and I just walk away some come find me and tell me how rude I am to just walk off. I tell them that it was rude of them in the first place to snub me in the first place.

Anyone else experience this, how do you handle it?
Well, A, B, and C.

A: They may not be walking away but breaking off, to stop the engagement that they believe they will eventually have to respond to and potentially do something unpleasant.

In a similar way, it is an item in my "programming" to not engage a loved one with my martial skills but to break off, withdraw, if necessary, take it on shields but one order is clear......DO NOT ENGAGE.

Of course, most people will not understand that kind of discipline. Once in bed, my lover wanted it rough, told me, "Get mad at me!"......and that triggered the program of the above paragraph. I pulled away and they didn't understand, they thought I was rejecting them.

B: One of my brothers is a notorious interrupter when being talked to. Training says the best thing to do is to shut down until he stops interrupting (but we are human, so that is hard to do). If, however, he were to continue to interrupt once I start talking again, then the next course of action is to break off the engagement and withdraw.

C: Which comes down to this that the decision to withdraw is that of our own, it is an item we have control of. I have had situations in life where I have been called to a meeting and when asked what it was about, have been told, "Well, we will talk about that when you get here." In one situation, my response was "to submerge" with the attitude of, "When you start talking to me, I will start talking to you." Until then, I am busy, submerge, following orders and protocols as stored in on board computers. I eventually resigned from that organization without much of a further word but there was an item of satisfaction when I decided to submerge, I was back in control.

It may be that for the talk, they don't like the situation and they are responding in the only way they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2020, 09:17 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
There are lots of opinions in this thread, OP, but can it be that someone bursts on the scene with new information? Like, you're in a conversation but someone the person loves but has not seen for awhile enters the room?

OR, the hostess asks for all the guests to come get a plate and find a place at the table, so you're interrupted?

On the other hand, if people routinely walk away from you at a party to engage others, it's because they're trying to escape your company.
And OP doesn't need to take all the blame here either. There can be many reasons for the situation OP describes.

People have remarkably short attention spans these days. Especially in group situations. They don't listen well.

Some are rude enough to wander off without even a comment. I see people's eyes start to glaze over and I think that they may be wondering if they've got any messages on their phone. (Technology habituation plays a big part in these poor communication skills.) Maybe in their techno trance they don't even realize they've drifted off.

I think a good conversationalist would be able to provide a formal ending to a conversation. Otherwise they appear passive-aggressive. We don't seem to care much about those things anymore.

Even a hostess bursting in and interrupting conversation can be done with more politeness and grace than this scenario.

It may have more to do with the mile-a-minute society we live in today than anything you're doing, But a thought to consider OP: How are the social conversation skills? Can you keep it light and interesting?

Old 01-03-2020, 09:51 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
OP has stated this only happens at work, with work-related conversations. I have seen this happen when people are busy, like in my fast-paced office. People need info from you, and once they get it, or they realize you don't have it, they break off the convo and get back to work.

If we chit chatted all day at my office, we'd be taking work home every night and weekend.

Old 01-03-2020, 09:56 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
Quote:
I’m not a person who goes to work hoping to make new friends or anything like that if I talk at work, it’s work related 99.9% of the time.
Quote:
This tends to happen a lot at work on my part in social situations it doesn’t.
Now that is confusing. . .

Old 01-03-2020, 10:41 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
Are you particularly unpopular at work?

Old 01-03-2020, 11:03 AM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I've been guilty of doing this to my BIL. The man literally never stops talking. NEVER. If he's awake, he's talking. He's been told he has this issue, and not just by me.
I've gotten to the point where I think of him as white noise. It's easier to think he's white noise, than to be constantly held captive to his ramblings, ridiculous (and repetitive) questions and requests, and observations that are as equally ridiculous. It has become my self-defense mechanism.
i have a cowokers like this, this guy can never just shut the hell up. Yap Yap Yap . I've literally had to just begin to walk away, slowly kind of and then make up an excuse about using the restroom or whatever.

Old 01-03-2020, 11:33 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,784,199 times
Quote:
Or just start talking to someone else.

Are they just rude or is it that your not just interesting enough to listen to?

I’ve had some people do this from time to time and I just walk away some come find me and tell me how rude I am to just walk off. I tell them that it was rude of them in the first place to snub me in the first place.

Anyone else experience this, how do you handle it?
I Just don't bother talking to them beyond "Hi" and "Bye"

Old 01-03-2020, 02:36 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,419 times
I skimmed the replies but OP still needs to give way more context. You walk away from a conversation. What were you talking about? Work? Politics? Social issues? The news? WHY did you walk away, OP? What's an example of a conversation that you walked away from?

Old 01-03-2020, 07:16 PM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
I walk away or sometimes ignore and start a conversation with someone else with a woman I know who is a nonstop talker. She will tell you the same story sometimes during the same evening.

And then there is the story of the day her father died when she was 16, what she wore that day, what she said to the lady on the phone at the hospital, and then you watch her tear up...she is 79. No, it's not dementia. It's the need for constant attention. Like Daddy gave her until he died when she was 16.

I also pointedly ignore her with her weird date thing. By that I mean if you say your birthday is April 4, she will relate that to something that happened in HER life. "My birthday is April 4." "Oh. What a coincidence. April 4 is the day I had my third miscarriage. If she'd lived, she would have been 52 now."

One time I noted that the day was the tenth anniversary of my brother's death. "Really? It's my cousin Karen's birthday today, too! She lives up in in Connecticut now. Her husband died last year of a stroke..."

Sometimes it's you. Sometimes, it's them.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:34 PM

5,480 posts, read 3,919,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Mr Obama lectured on this subject but few listened
Few listened to a lecture about the idea that their listening needed to improve? Apropos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology