Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2020, 10:23 AM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I agree, and the vast majority of men who commit rape are never brought to justice; they get off scott free. So nobody should be upset that women want come forward and simply talk about their experiences with rape. Most of the men who raped these women were never arrested, never went to jail.
What does rape have to do with the thread title i.e. men wanting a 'strong, independent' woman in a relationship?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2020, 02:38 PM

31,041 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
I agree, and the vast majority of men who commit rape are never brought to justice; they get off scott free. So nobody should be upset that women want come forward and simply talk about their experiences with rape. Most of the men who raped these women were never arrested, never went to jail.
Yep, prime example is the whole Casting Couch environment that was hidden it plain site, by the supposed enlightened, Liberal, non-Misoginistic men that control the movie industry, existed for 100 years, probably more. Of course they weren't all against women as we saw in Kevin Spacey and Ed Buck.

Old 01-19-2020, 05:25 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
One needs to be very good in math/science to go into engineering as the competition is stiff.
There were only 2 females in my graduating class (1989) of 400 students....Engineering.
I was a software engineer for 25 years...systems programmer. That's chip bringup, device driver code, operating systems. And that area of software is about 95% male. There wasn't any of this gender crap going on. If you knew your stuff and proved yourself you became "one of the guys" and that held for both males and females.
100% agreed. These "strong, independent women" go into these low-paying, female dominated fields like gender studies just to complain about imagined sexism in engineering. And then they wonder why there are so few women in engineering. If you want to be strong and independent, stop acting like a victim.

Solution: get out of gender studies (aka imagined victimhood studies), work hard and get good at math/science, become one of the guys. Stop demanding affirmative action. All the men around you had to work hard and prove their worth, being female doesn't give you a pass.

Old 01-19-2020, 07:22 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
This. The women on the frontier were also strong and independent.

Which shows that feminism today isn't about equal rights for men and women anymore. It's about women dominating and subjugating men.
No, it doesn't show that. It simply shows that women today come from a long tradition of strong, independent women. Frontier women wouldn't lodge a grievance with the HR Dept. if some guy came around harassing them and threatening them, while their husband was away hunting, or herding cattle. They'd grab a pitchfork and would brandish it at him in a way that made it clear they meant business.

You could hall that "dominating and subjugating". Or you could call it self-defense and demanding respect. Kinda like taking a grievance to HR, but today they don't use a pitchfork.

Old 01-19-2020, 07:32 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
100% agreed. These "strong, independent women" go into these low-paying, female dominated fields like gender studies just to complain about imagined sexism in engineering. And then they wonder why there are so few women in engineering. If you want to be strong and independent, stop acting like a victim.

Solution: get out of gender studies (aka imagined victimhood studies), work hard and get good at math/science, become one of the guys. Stop demanding affirmative action. All the men around you had to work hard and prove their worth, being female doesn't give you a pass.
What on earth are you talking about? More women than men are going to medical school and law school, formerly male-dominated fields. No one is acting like a victim.

Old 01-20-2020, 08:56 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,962,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
What on earth are you talking about? More women than men are going to medical school and law school, formerly male-dominated fields. No one is acting like a victim.
Yeah, only since last year or so. As for doctors and lawyers actually in the field right now, still more men than women.

As for engineering school, it's still male dominated, not because of sexism, but because yes, feminists are acting like victims, going into low-paying fields like gender studies, and then wondering why, oh why, are there so few women in engineering.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:07 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,347,498 times
Quote:
...... But thanks to feminism, we now have many overblown claims of sexual abuse as seen in the MeToo movement and the false claim that 1 in 5 women are raped. And this leads to demonizing men as having "Toxic Masculinity." But fact is, rape isn't toxic masculinity, or masculinity at all. It's evil and cowardly. True masculinity is about heroism, leadership, and protection.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post

If you actually had more experience with women (as you say that you don't,) you would know that many, many women have had sexual assault experiences that they never reported to the authorities and don't talk about with just anyone. That #metoo is actually allowing these women to feel comfortable speaking their truth is good. It's sadly not overblown at all.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
What does rape have to do with the thread title i.e. men wanting a 'strong, independent' woman in a relationship?
I thought the same thing, but then saw that I had missed the context of PriscillaVanilla's comment. And really, as a stand alone statement, sexual assault or concerns about it certainly hinders women professionally and socially.

Old 01-20-2020, 09:42 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Yeah, only since last year or so. As for doctors and lawyers actually in the field right now, still more men than women.

As for engineering school, it's still male dominated, not because of sexism, but because yes, feminists are acting like victims, going into low-paying fields like gender studies, and then wondering why, oh why, are there so few women in engineering.
Women were 45% of medical students even in the year 2000, so we aren’t talking about a huge discrepancy. VERY FEW PEOPLE major in gender studies.

You might also ask why there are only about 15% of graduate-level nursing students who are men (these are the nurses who work as nurse practitioners, typically). Similarly, females are much more highly represented in physician assistant school than men. RNs work hard as well, often working 12-hour, physical jobs if they are in a hospital setting. It pays well, offers a good advancement path, and has decent mobility. If you become a nurse practitioner, you can make six figures. If you are a nurse anesthetist, you can make over $150K. PAs also make good money. This is a hugely growing field and it requires a good basis in math and science. So stop with this argument that women simply aren’t interested in STEM. They are, but they are using it for other purposes.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:01 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
I don't really think this article is all that awful, and can't really understand why so many posters on here are getting a bug up their butt about it. I say this as a woman who has many close male friends. And the blogger is not exactly wrong even if I don't agree with everything.

I mean, the truth is, if a woman is a victim of a violent crime, the odds are that the perpetrator is a male. If she gets murdered, the odds are high it is the male who is closest to her. To dismiss this idea that men often want to dominate the women in their life, or even random women, is bizarre to me. Take a look at the course of history. I mean, I know that not all guys are like that, but millennia of culturally ingrained male privilege promotes a certain mindset.

And the whole idea of men wanting a woman to save them isn't really outlandish - I think that's the underlying cause of a lot of relationships for both genders.

I'm a single homeowner who pulls in six figures after struggling along for years. My time is my own. My assets are my own. I have many strong friendships with both men and women, with whom I get together several times a week. I have a wide range of interests. I own a top of the line vibrator.

What on earth would a romantic relationship bring into my life? It COULD bring added financial stability, but it could also do the opposite. Hell, I'm just wondering why anyone who qualified as "strong" or "independent" - no matter their gender - would want to be in a relationship beyond wanting to have kids.

Old 01-20-2020, 12:34 PM

28,667 posts, read 18,784,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Women were 45% of medical students even in the year 2000, so we aren’t talking about a huge discrepancy. VERY FEW PEOPLE major in gender studies.

You might also ask why there are only about 15% of graduate-level nursing students who are men (these are the nurses who work as nurse practitioners, typically). Similarly, females are much more highly represented in physician assistant school than men. RNs work hard as well, often working 12-hour, physical jobs if they are in a hospital setting. It pays well, offers a good advancement path, and has decent mobility. If you become a nurse practitioner, you can make six figures. If you are a nurse anesthetist, you can make over $150K. PAs also make good money. This is a hugely growing field and it requires a good basis in math and science. So stop with this argument that women simply aren’t interested in STEM. They are, but they are using it for other purposes.

And there is the nub of the differences. You pointed out a very traditional woman's field in which women are striving to attain greater heights.

It's never been a matter of women being unable to learn science and mathematics--women have always been equally intelligent to men, so there was never a reason why they shouldn't.

However, it is significant what fields these intelligent women choose to enter, and even what specialties of broader fields they choose to enter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology