Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2020, 05:51 PM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
My idea of strong independent woman is ability to kayak by herself.

I'm retired and my life is like lazy river tubing. I do not try and go upstream anymore, I enjoy the leisurely pace. I'm not hard to keep up with, but you'll have to pee in the river and quit telling me the water is cold, I can't do anything about that.
That's a pretty low bar, so you should be good!
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2020, 05:59 PM

102,219 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Up until the 80s, nearly half the programmers of mainframes were women; the fact that programming was part of the math departments in most colleges was not an impediment.

The drop of women in IT corresponds precisely with the rise of personal computing beginning in the 80s. Personal computers pushed programming down into high schools, where it took on much more of a gender tone, being an interest of gadgeteers. High school girls didn't find it inviting and weren't invited, so that by college they were already out of the loop.
Fascinating! Thank you for sharing this.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:03 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,807,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
That's a pretty low bar, so you should be good!
I believe in K.I.S.S.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I believe in K.I.S.S.

I'm glad I'm married, because my "needs" and "wants" list is much, much longer.

If my husband can't hump out a 5 mile run, I may have to trade him in for a newer model.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:09 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
No such thing as a 50/50 relationship. Balanced? yes
Agree.

I couldn't be married to someone who always wanted to divide up everything 50/50. It wouldn't be like a romantic relationship at all, it would be more like two roommates.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:21 PM

Quote:
I'm glad I'm married, because my "needs" and "wants" list is much, much longer.

If my husband can't hump out a 5 mile run, I may have to trade him in for a newer model.
I don't expect my wife to hump out a dive ... she's claustrophobic and afraid of sharks. I don't hold it against her.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
I don't expect my wife to hump out a dive ... she's claustrophobic and afraid of sharks. I don't hold it against her.
Word! I refuse to night dive with the manta rays for the same reason - I am petrified of sharks. I'm not even much fun snorkeling during the day for the same reason.

None the less, if someone can't kayak.... I'm out of there. I lost one husband to the fork and lack of exercise.... I'm not going through that twice.

Over weight, and outta shape? I'm gone.

Old 01-21-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Word! I refuse to night dive with the manta rays for the same reason - I am petrified of sharks. I'm not even much fun snorkeling during the day for the same reason.

None the less, if someone can't kayak.... I'm out of there. I lost one husband to the fork and lack of exercise.... I'm not going through that twice.

Over weight, and outta shape? I'm gone.
Loving words

Old 01-21-2020, 09:28 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,035,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
"So you think you want a ‘strong, independent woman

This blog is written for men, talking directly to men. Men who have an interest in women (whether heterosexual or bisexual).

Even more specifically, the men who say that they want a strong, independent woman. The men who find powerful, determined women sexy."

Mod cut.

https://victimfocus.wordpress.com/20...e4k_A5RW3U9vfY

Interesting article but I have to wonder if the writer isn’t men bashing to some extent. She goes on about how men Want/must /feel the need to dominate a independent woman.

And the author should know that real indenpendent and strong women rarely show off or loathe about themselves . It reflects in thier families and actions and only others call them so. And men naturally respect it.having a career and money are not yhe only criteria to suggest one is strong and independent. In fact the author us kinda ridiculing women who dont work.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:45 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Wow. If you took that screed and simply switched the female and male references, it would get hounded as misogynist.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I'm not sure the author understands what "strong" and "independent" mean.
My feeling exactly.

Mrs. RationalExpectations is frequently described as strong and independent. In the business world, she had 400 to 600 employees in her department worldwide, and was internationally recognized as an expert in her field, testifying before both the House & the Senate, and she has been an advisor to the Secretary of Treasury.

Most of the author's writing is a caricature written for effect, I suspect. I also suspect she has never met either a powerful woman or such a woman's life partner or husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology