Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2020, 07:24 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,263,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
There's a different generation of men out there; we are quite capable of cooking or cleaning (or hiring someone to do it for us). We marry later, if at all (and it sure isn't about someone to clean, lol); and most of us grew up with moms who worked and/or female friends and colleagues who are successful in the workplace. This is simply reducing relationships to outdated stereotypes; and while it may apply to men over 60, it doesn't apply to most of us. That said, women of that age group are often lonely and looking for companionship as well.
Thankfully, companionship can be many things besides marriage! After getting divorced there's no way I'd comingle my finances with anyone...and that's without the complications of kids to worry about. I can get everything I need from a man without marriage and without battling the often unspoken expectations of marriage.

Interesting to me is how even slightly older men want someone to cook and clean for them when they're married but are content to live like pigs and eat fast food once divorced...marriage (and divorce) changes people!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2020, 08:04 PM

7,996 posts, read 10,369,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
They may report that they are but I'm not buying it, at least based on women I know.
How do you know? How to you know they are completely honest with you? Ironically, the major study reported that women reported they were happy when their spouses or other people were in the room, but drastically changed their story when they were alone. Single, childless women also live longest.

Old 01-28-2020, 08:37 PM

8,551 posts, read 3,777,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post

Interesting to me is how even slightly older men want someone to cook and clean for them when they're married but are content to live like pigs and eat fast food once divorced...marriage (and divorce) changes people!
To speak of men as if we are all 'living like pigs' and 'eating fast food', lol (while we are single) is as ludicrous and wrongfully stereotypical as suggesting all women enjoy cleaning and it's in their genes.

Bottom line - most people (men and women) would rather hire a cleaning service than do it themselves. Absolutely, most of us don't want to clean (who enjoys it); but we all have. It's part of being an adult (along with other things we don't like doing), not part of being a specific gender. To suggest otherwise as a whole (in either direction) is simply perpetuating antiquated stereotypes (and not seeing the world as it is today among younger generations i.e. forties and younger).

Old 01-29-2020, 05:55 AM

5,573 posts, read 3,331,980 times
Quote:
To speak of men as if we are all 'living like pigs' and 'eating fast food', lol (while we are single) is as ludicrous and wrongfully stereotypical as suggesting all women enjoy cleaning and it's in their genes.

Bottom line - most people (men and women) would rather hire a cleaning service than do it themselves. Absolutely, most of us don't want to clean (who enjoys it); but we all have. It's part of being an adult (along with other things we don't like doing), not part of being a specific gender. To suggest otherwise as a whole (in either direction) is simply perpetuating antiquated stereotypes (and not seeing the world as it is today among younger generations i.e. forties and younger).
It's so much fun to do, though.

Old 01-29-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:

Every, single study done has shown that women to the lion's share of the housework after they get married - even women who work full-time and just as many hours outside the home as their husbands. In fact, one study says men actually add MORE work for women. So there is kind of evidence to support what she's saying. Maybe not that bad, but generally the responsibility falls on the wife.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/husba...xWM-kBIWd4cvbL

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2019/jul/...sework-equally

Old 01-29-2020, 09:19 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,263,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Every, single study done has shown that women to the lion's share of the housework after they get married - even women who work full-time and just as many hours outside the home as their husbands. In fact, one study says men actually add MORE work for women. So there is kind of evidence to support what she's saying. Maybe not that bad, but generally the responsibility falls on the wife.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/husba...xWM-kBIWd4cvbL

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/news/2019/jul/...sework-equally
Very true...men who may have done a fair amount for themselves when single don't necessarily keep doing all that once married. There can be expectations that women/wives are just "supposed" to do that stuff or will want to do that stuff for the both of them.

Women can certainly refuse, but it ends up being the person who cares most about keeping things clean or wanting a hot meal that ends up putting in the time and effort. If a guy doesn't care that all his dirty clothes pile up on the floor and thinks pizza is the best possible meal, he won't pick up stuff or cook anything.

I guess the key then is for women to just care less than men do about domestic duties and what other might think of them regarding a messy house, etc., etc.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:27 AM

4,301 posts, read 2,171,404 times
Wandered in here to maybe contribute....

Too much white wash being splashed around.

Old 01-29-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I guess the key then is for women to just care less than men do about domestic duties and what other might think of them regarding a messy house, etc., etc.
Or for men to just grow up, live like an adult, and do their share.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:46 AM

947 posts, read 1,183,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Or for men to just grow up, live like an adult, and do their share.
I don’t see how housework is not a man thing? I change oil, change tires, take out trash, cut the yard, fix the toilet and sinks, and pay every bill.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:48 AM

14,688 posts, read 9,655,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Man View Post
I don’t see how housework is not a man thing? I change oil, change tires, take out trash, cut the yard, fix the toilet and sinks, and pay every bill.
Bob ... apparently you are all grow'd up. Good job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology