Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 07:51 AM

9,833 posts, read 4,623,002 times

Advertisements

Are no regrets a bad thing?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ving-not-lived

Do 'no regrets' mean one has lived less life than others? Are people with no regrets the people that are slow to move, change or adapt to situations? Would no regrets mean they always waited for life and preferred conditions rather than pursuing what they wanted or trying something. Could it mean one is too cautious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 08:26 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
It could mean the opposite - someone who does what they please without thinking or caring about the consequences.

For me "no regrets" means being realistic and accepting. Some things were a mistake. I accept that, take responsibility for what happened and know I can't change the results.

I won't forget the lesson learned but after doing what I can to repair the damage I move on without letting feelings of failure affect my future choices.

"No regrets" means not letting the negative feelings of my past intrude on who I am today.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:28 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
People with no regrets are those whose life turned out well in their estimation (in comparison to parents or others they compare themselves to).
People whose life turned out badly look for reasons it did so. Hindsight being 20/20.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:28 AM

6,372 posts, read 4,985,124 times
There are a lot of reasons people might not have any major regrets. It could be any of those things, or because they accept unpleasant experiences as lessons instead of dwelling on them, or because they think decisions through and solicit a lot of advice so those decisions almost always turn out well, or because they've been sheltered by a parental support system from having to deal with the consequences of their actions.

But I think when people actually make "no regrets" their motto, it's usually because they just have short-term memories or don't properly appreciate the consequences of their actions.

Old 01-15-2020, 02:54 PM

52,194 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
It could mean the opposite - someone who does what they please without thinking or caring about the consequences.

For me "no regrets" means being realistic and accepting. Some things were a mistake. I accept that, take responsibility for what happened and know I can't change the results.

I won't forget the lesson learned but after doing what I can to repair the damage I move on without letting feelings of failure affect my future choices.

"No regrets" means not letting the negative feelings of my past intrude on who I am today.
Yeah, I pretty much agree with this post.

Old 01-15-2020, 05:21 PM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Well the other thing that I find tricky about regrets, is that if I'd done something differently, even something that led to a path of suffering or disaster, if I had the power to change that choice in the past and live an alternate life, I have no way to know if it had been better or worse!

Like wouldn't it be the way, you go back in time miraculously to correct your life's greatest regret, and then you walk outside and immediately get hit by a truck and become a paraplegic or something. Nobody can know if things would have truly gone better or not.

Of course I've gone back through my life, like an editor with a manuscript and a red pen and highlighter set, in my head, and I've given thought to what were good decisions and bad decisions... But I think the real reason to do that, is to try and squeeze every drop of wisdom out of life experiences that one can. Not to wallow in regret and remorse, but to gain learning, which can then help influence future choices in the individual, and also (wonder of wonders) be passed on to others, so that they can possibly benefit from the learning without having to suffer any hardship to earn the lesson the hard way. Of course...people's capacity to really absorb wisdom secondhand is somewhat limited, as probably every parent who has ever raised a teenager knows.

But we try.

Old 01-15-2020, 06:23 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Someone who says they have no regrets could also be someone who faced and resolved bad situations skillfully at the time they needed to be dealt with. Doesn't mean they never felt regret or never faced regretful situations, just that they were better at processing the outcomes. A person who never came to peace with things from the past might always feel some regret.

Old 01-15-2020, 08:36 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
Are no regrets a bad thing?

Do 'no regrets' mean one has lived less life than others? Are people with no regrets the people that are slow to move, change or adapt to situations? Would no regrets mean they always waited for life and preferred conditions rather than pursuing what they wanted or trying something. Could it mean one is too cautious?
I have no regrets. I have never seriously harmed anyone or anything....that I know of. I have a good heart. I achieved more than 95% of most people (some due to luck and being born in the USA, etc.) and have a kids that succeeded and have their own families. My parents (90) still love me and, in fact, have a lot of respect for me. My wife also has respect and love for me.

So what regrets should I have?

I have to listen to the same advice I've given my kids and others....one cannot do everything in this world so make your choices.

There may be a selfish type of "no regrets" among some who just don't want to face up to massive shortcomings or other situations which it is too late to handle...and maybe other "no regrets" just to put a positive spin on their lives.

But I think having no regrets is a good thing...in general. The opposite, it seems to me, if often guilt.

Life is complicated. I'm lucky. I just read about a young soldier who was over in Afghanistan for just a few months and not in heavy fighting. But when he came back he was asked about his experiences "I think I killed some kids" was one of his concerns (must have shot up a vehicle or something).....

So, if that was me, would I have regrets? I probably would. Maybe I would regret signing up? It's hard to say what others who have different life experiences should feel. Some people CAN come to peace with things like that - some cannot.

Old 01-15-2020, 09:14 PM

11,061 posts, read 7,135,481 times
No regrets means someone has moved on. Unless we're talking about murder or crimes, moving on with no regrets is the way to go. The past is dead and gone, so why keep acting like it's around?

Many people live their entire lives with regrets, worries, and apprehensions. They've never moved around freely without that load on their backs, and have no clue how mobile and liberating it would be with that gone.

Some of course pocket and benefit from the guilt train, and continually try to keep people in that track.

Old 01-17-2020, 04:45 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,391,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

This is a good answer, thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology