Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2020, 08:19 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,242,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
True...and not so true. Nicotine addicts (with no other addictions) aren't often homeless, strung out with the shakes, completely estranged from families, thieving or prostituting themselves to get a fix, unable to hold down a job, or have lost custody of their kids, etc. People can also be addicted to caffeine and drink it for energy or for relaxation..again, not exactly the same thing. Not every drug is the same in its effects or its severity.
Thissssssssssssssssss.

Quitting smoking is no where near quitting heroin (or caffeine lol) no clue why anyone would even put them in the same category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 08:25 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Thissssssssssssssssss.

Quitting smoking is no where near quitting heroin (or caffeine lol) no clue why anyone would even put them in the same category.
https://www.heart.org/en/news/2018/1...o-quit-smoking

“From a scientific standpoint, nicotine is just as hard, or harder, to quit than heroin … but people don't recognize that," said Dr. Neil Benowitz, a nicotine researcher at the University of California, San Francisco.”

Old 02-07-2020, 09:53 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,014,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

“From a scientific standpoint, nicotine is just as hard, or harder, to quit than heroin … but people don't recognize that," said Dr. Neil Benowitz, a nicotine researcher at the University of California, San Francisco.”

I can totally get that it's as difficult to quit as heroin. However, heroin, being illegal, causes devastation that legal cigarettes do not.

Old 02-07-2020, 09:53 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,399,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
Thissssssssssssssssss.

I have never heard anyone who did both say that.

Old 02-07-2020, 10:35 AM

50,702 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I can totally get that it's as difficult to quit as heroin. However, heroin, being illegal, causes devastation that legal cigarettes do not.
Yes I understand that.

Old 02-07-2020, 04:10 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,380,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Have you talked to a doctor? There are very effective anti-anxiety meds out there. You don't have to take them forever, but it can get you over the hump.

I am 50+ pack year smoker and take several meds forever to treat incurable severe mental disorder called bi-polar. I have to trade off if you will the benefits of mental stabiity over lung cancer for example. They is no way I want to go through mania or depression again. It is dangerous. destructive and incredibly painful (not that cancer wouldn't be).

So it will seem that lung cancer to some would be worse than bi-polar but it really is a rock and a hard place kind of situation. And to date I have no idea how I can have both stability and physical health.
Neither do my doctors or shrink.

Rock and a hard place sums it up.

Old 02-07-2020, 04:13 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,380,234 times
32% of people who try tobacco get addicted. 8% of people who try heroine get addicted.
Source: book "The Science of Addiction".

Old 02-07-2020, 07:19 PM

776 posts, read 393,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post

Ease of quitting varies from person to person. Different people get addicted to different things and to different degrees.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:22 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
When I smoked, I was never in denial. I hated myself for smoking. I felt weak--and yes, addicted. Which led me to finally quitting.

I decided that I was stronger than that little tube of tobacco.

Feels so darn good to be free of it.

It took a smoking cessation program to partner with to kick the habit.

Old 02-07-2020, 07:27 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
You can show car drivers the most gruesome photo's of near-fatal car accidents, those even left as quadriplegics, or brain dead as a result of it, and it's not going to get people to give up that potentially dangerous addiction to owning/driving a car. "Maybe I'll be lucky and it won't ever happen to me."

The same works with cancer scare tactics.

What really scares me, as a smoker, is what become of all those who posted here with advice, research studies, and all smokers quit their addiction. They have to feed their ego addictions some way or another, and?
This is true, in part.

Replacing one habit with another is often the case...but...I'm now "addicted" to exercise and healthy eating.

I'm hooked on both and believe I like myself a whole lot more.

I look and smell better--and my smoker's cough and stink are long gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology