Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 02:23 PM

20,348 posts, read 14,611,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Its not an addiction, people stop smoking after yrs, addicts cannot stop their addiction, thats why they're called addicts, they are beyond human aid.

As a recovered addict alcoholic who still smokes I can say from experience smoking has nothing on real addiction, it might look like addiction to you but thats because you don't understand addiction.
The component of addiction is not present in smoking. It doesn't even come close .
Sorry, I do not agree with this. I have known people who have quit drinking, and harder things like heroin. Left it behind forever. Sometimes they used assistance like rehab or therapy or even the substitutes like methadone or whatever that helped them. But they quit and never went back.

Just like smokers, they were not beyond human aid, but they had to be personally ready to do it. No one can quit any addiction if they are not ready to seriously deal with it.

I'm a long time smoker too, and if I were not addicted I would stop right now. But I know what it feels like to attempt a quit, and I can not deal with that right now. I'm not strong enough for it at the moment. I sincerely hope to be one day in the not-distant future, and when I'm prepared to have a go, I'm going to look into methods to ease the panic attacks that always happen, the mental withdrawal symptoms, that tend to break my resolve.

I have known others (and I've no idea how old you are or how many years you've smoked or if you've ever tried to quit) who were young and hadn't been smokers for all that long. And they believed they could quit any time they wanted. Sometimes they were right, and they did. Often they were wrong, and they kept on doing it and/or went back to it after a while. Even people who will say that they decided they did not want to be smokers anymore. I've seen people of any age choose to buy smokes with their last bit of money rather than food, and I've seen people pick butts out of outdoor receptacles and ash trays and cans, that they could get just a few hits off of, because they didn't have the money to get a pack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 10:56 AM

50,657 posts, read 36,346,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollunen View Post
It's possible to quit smoking no matter how long you are smoking. I have been smoking for more than 10 years and I managed to quit. To be honest, I switched to vaping first but then I stopped smoking for good. That's why I consider vaping is a great way to get rid of this addiction. For example, Yocan Regen is a good vaporizer.
The problem with that is if you need life insurance as we (my fiancé and I) do, any nicotine in your blood puts you in the “smokers” category regardless whether you smoke, vape or chew nicotine gum. Premiums for smokers are 3-4 times higher.

Old 03-01-2020, 07:15 PM

14,735 posts, read 14,978,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeMed View Post

..... Is there a pattern with many nicotine addicted cigarette smokers (not all, but a number of them), to desperately try to defend their habit in a militant way that borders on belligerent? It's not like they can't read the side of the pack.

I don't think so. The only time I've ever seen die-hard smokers get belligerent about defending their smoking habit is when they get sick and tired of hearing non-smokers and/or reformed smokers nagging and nagging and nagging non-stop at them about their habit and the costs and health effects on them. Smokers already know ALL the negative consequences of smoking, they don't need some holier-than-thou non-smoker control freaks who are stuck in their own patterns of criticism and control to be preaching and nagging on and on at them about something they already know.

The best thing smokers can do to avoid having to tolerate that kind of un-asked for lecturing and nagging is to not participate in a discussion about smoking in the first place. Just change the subject or walk away, don't try to defend or argue. Don't associate with such controlling people at all if they can't pull themselves out of their own patterns of criticism and lecturing. There is no reason for why a smoker should have to defend oneself against other people who refuse to recognize they are trapped in their own negative patterns.

Old 03-01-2020, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I don't think so. The only time I've ever seen die-hard smokers get belligerent about defending their smoking habit is when they get sick and tired of hearing non-smokers and/or reformed smokers nagging and nagging and nagging non-stop at them about their habit and the costs and health effects on them. Smokers already know ALL the negative consequences of smoking, they don't need some holier-than-thou non-smoker control freaks who are stuck in their own patterns of criticism and control to be preaching and nagging on and on at them about something they already know.

The best thing smokers can do to avoid having to tolerate that kind of un-asked for lecturing and nagging is to not participate in a discussion about smoking in the first place. Just change the subject or walk away, don't try to defend or argue. Don't associate with such controlling people at all if they can't pull themselves out of their own patterns of criticism and lecturing. There is no reason for why a smoker should have to defend oneself against other people who refuse to recognize they are trapped in their own negative patterns.

Exactly. It’s no different than berating an overweight person every time you see her reach for something to eat. People don’t do that though, will smoke or seem to be fair game for rudeness. When I was smoking, complete strangers would say to me “you smell like an ashtray”. It’s one of the last groups you can harrass, It doesn’t help the person and serves no real purpose except expressing self righteousness.

My favorite example of the hypocrisy of otherwise PC people to attack smokers is a South Park episode, Where a guide at the Museum of Tolerance is giving a speech about how we have to tolerate each other’s differences, but then leads the crowd in a vicious attack on Randy when he lights up a cigarette. I think it’s pretty accurate!

Old 03-03-2020, 10:34 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,084,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Sorry, I do not agree with this. I have known people who have quit drinking, and harder things like heroin. Left it behind forever. Sometimes they used assistance like rehab or therapy or even the substitutes like methadone or whatever that helped them. But they quit and never went back.

Just like smokers, they were not beyond human aid, but they had to be personally ready to do it. No one can quit any addiction if they are not ready to seriously deal with it.

I'm a long time smoker too, and if I were not addicted I would stop right now. But I know what it feels like to attempt a quit, and I can not deal with that right now. I'm not strong enough for it at the moment. I sincerely hope to be one day in the not-distant future, and when I'm prepared to have a go, I'm going to look into methods to ease the panic attacks that always happen, the mental withdrawal symptoms, that tend to break my resolve.

I have known others (and I've no idea how old you are or how many years you've smoked or if you've ever tried to quit) who were young and hadn't been smokers for all that long. And they believed they could quit any time they wanted. Sometimes they were right, and they did. Often they were wrong, and they kept on doing it and/or went back to it after a while. Even people who will say that they decided they did not want to be smokers anymore. I've seen people of any age choose to buy smokes with their last bit of money rather than food, and I've seen people pick butts out of outdoor receptacles and ash trays and cans, that they could get just a few hits off of, because they didn't have the money to get a pack.
I work with someone who does this. She attempts to quit smoking every other week almost and fails constantly. She’s been trying for years . She seldom gets through one week before she relapses and is a jittery terror after three days. I’ve seen her dig butts out of ashtrays to get a few puffs before she can get to the store and buy a couple of packs.
I do believe it is an addiction as well.

Old 03-03-2020, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post

I agree with this and I don’t smoke and never have. I don’t nag anyone publicly or insult them . It’s a two way street in that the smoker may be best not associating with a person who does that to them, in as well a non smoker doesn’t have to associate with them either. I have friends and acquaintances in both camps but I avoid smoke as much as possible. I can’t stand it . I grew up with smokers and as soon as I was old enough I got out of the house every chance I could.

Old 03-03-2020, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Exactly. It’s no different than berating an overweight person every time you see her reach for something to eat. People don’t do that though, will smoke or seem to be fair game for rudeness. When I was smoking, complete strangers would say to me “you smell like an ashtray”. It’s one of the last groups you can harrass, It doesn’t help the person and serves no real purpose except expressing self righteousness.

My favorite example of the hypocrisy of otherwise PC people to attack smokers is a South Park episode, Where a guide at the Museum of Tolerance is giving a speech about how we have to tolerate each other’s differences, but then leads the crowd in a vicious attack on Randy when he lights up a cigarette. I think it’s pretty accurate!
I would never dream of saying anything like that to a stranger or even someone I knew. I don’t go out of my way frankly to hang out with smokers unless we are somewhere where they can’t smoke. Ironically though just the other day I was visiting a friend who’s a smoker and she told me to deal with it , that she wasn’t going to be smoking that long. Lol. Here’s the funny part. It’s her parents house but she’s not supposed to smoke in the house, so she goes outside and lights up and doesn’t close the slider door. I get up and close it and she got ticked and opened it up again. I said what’s up, the whole living room is filling up with smoke as the wind was blowing it in. She says it’s not that big of a deal, I’m outside aren’t I and it’s just for a few minutes. She then came into the house with the cigarette waving it all around the room and told me to deal with it. Then she went outside again and put it out. LMAO.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:29 AM

20,348 posts, read 14,611,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
I would never dream of saying anything like that to a stranger or even someone I knew. I don’t go out of my way frankly to hang out with smokers unless we are somewhere where they can’t smoke. Ironically though just the other day I was visiting a friend who’s a smoker and she told me to deal with it , that she wasn’t going to be smoking that long. Lol. Here’s the funny part. It’s her parents house but she’s not supposed to smoke in the house, so she goes outside and lights up and doesn’t close the slider door. I get up and close it and she got ticked and opened it up again. I said what’s up, the whole living room is filling up with smoke as the wind was blowing it in. She says it’s not that big of a deal, I’m outside aren’t I and it’s just for a few minutes. She then came into the house with the cigarette waving it all around the room and told me to deal with it. Then she went outside again and put it out. LMAO.
God, that's horrible.

I think that among smokers just like ALL groups of humans, some are considerate and some are jerks.

I'm very self conscious about it, I do not want to be a bother to anyone. I won't smoke indoors even if I were permitted to, and if visiting non-smokers, I will often get a bottle of water or something like that, something that is sealed, and I'll bring it with me, and when I leave take it away and throw it out somewhere else. I put my ashes and butts into it, trying not to leave a trace behind. And I've made an effort to note if windows are open nearby, and actually go away from the building if necessary.

No one should have to "deal with it."

About the worst of it in my case, is that I do smoke in my car. I don't do so if I have a non-smoking passenger, I can wait, but my car is still stinky. I warn people who ask to ride with me, so if it will bother them they can opt to ride with someone else, like when my team at work goes out to lunch or something like that.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:30 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,347,963 times
Reasoning with an addict is Challenging

Old 03-04-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
God, that's horrible.

I think that among smokers just like ALL groups of humans, some are considerate and some are jerks.

I'm very self conscious about it, I do not want to be a bother to anyone. I won't smoke indoors even if I were permitted to, and if visiting non-smokers, I will often get a bottle of water or something like that, something that is sealed, and I'll bring it with me, and when I leave take it away and throw it out somewhere else. I put my ashes and butts into it, trying not to leave a trace behind. And I've made an effort to note if windows are open nearby, and actually go away from the building if necessary.

No one should have to "deal with it."

About the worst of it in my case, is that I do smoke in my car. I don't do so if I have a non-smoking passenger, I can wait, but my car is still stinky. I warn people who ask to ride with me, so if it will bother them they can opt to ride with someone else, like when my team at work goes out to lunch or something like that.
When I smoked (quit in October) I carry small bottles of a very light but inexpensive fragrance, one of my scrub pocket and one in my car. After I smoked I’d give myself a quick spritz to cover it up. I think it helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology