Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2020, 09:45 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,772,755 times

Advertisements

Does anybody have experience with overcoming struggling to listen to themselves? I often get mad at myself because I almost always listen to other people over myself and I'm seriously tired of it. I think this is a reason I can't seem to be around people. I have a hard time working with people because I feel like they overpower me and we always go with their suggestions. I have a hard time dating people and keeping friends because I feel like they can't hear me or don't listen to me. It's stressful and noisy so I find it most peaceful to be alone with my own thoughts. It's only when I'm around people that I start to stress out because other voices start coming in and before I know it, I'm doing things I never intended to and end up regretting it. Unless I want to be a hermit, I can't stay isolated forever. What are some tips you can think of to make your inner voice louder? I've tried literally shouting my thoughts in my head and repeating it when I know I need to do something. But many other times I forget to do this and my instincts slip on by...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2020, 11:28 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Trust your instincts. Form your own opinions.
It's possible to train your intuition.
Here is a simple guide:
https://www.wellandgood.com/good-adv...r-inner-voice/

Old 02-04-2020, 09:00 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
I would suggest you make a list of the things that are important to you. Writing them down will help make these things more 'real' for you. You're 'manifesting'.

THEN when you are alone, read these things out loud. Again...you are manifesting. By manifesting, you make these things real, and they will become your reality. I know it sounds like mystic mumbo jumbo...but it does help.

Old 02-04-2020, 04:37 PM

23,286 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriella Geramia View Post
Does anybody have experience with overcoming struggling to listen to themselves? I often get mad at myself because I almost always listen to other people over myself and I'm seriously tired of it. I think this is a reason I can't seem to be around people. I have a hard time working with people because I feel like they overpower me and we always go with their suggestions. I have a hard time dating people and keeping friends because I feel like they can't hear me or don't listen to me. It's stressful and noisy so I find it most peaceful to be alone with my own thoughts. It's only when I'm around people that I start to stress out because other voices start coming in and before I know it, I'm doing things I never intended to and end up regretting it. Unless I want to be a hermit, I can't stay isolated forever. What are some tips you can think of to make your inner voice louder? I've tried literally shouting my thoughts in my head and repeating it when I know I need to do something. But many other times I forget to do this and my instincts slip on by...
An old saying: "no sailor ever learned anything from calm seas."

You can learn all the techniques you want, but unless you test them you'll never know whether they'll work. I completely understand the desire to keep to yourself, in your comfy protected harbor, but that's one reason you don't trust or have confidence in your inner voice...regardless how loudly you shout it to yourself. You know the test was too easy. I also think we set ourselves up to fail because we assume those other voices will always be right...news flash...they may not be. Just because we might be forced to hear them doesn't mean we must be convinced of anything. I think we feel vulnerable because we see those other voices as threats. They don't need to be. There might be some small kernel of good in what we hear. Nothing wrong with letting it in, considering it, then teasing apart what might be useful from what isn't, and discarding it. If your barriers are completely rigid and unbending they also can end up being brittle, easily shattered. Nothing wrong with flexing a little.

Old 02-10-2020, 11:54 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,419 times
I tend to listen to other people over myself too. It's like an itch you have to scratch. The trick is to catch yourself and stop yourself in your tracks. The itchy feeling will pass in the next few seconds. Then do what YOU want to do. You basically have to focus your mind and use some willpower to stop yourself from scratching that itch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology