Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 10:21 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
A lot of people find social groups through work. If you would choose to work, you would meet more people.

Of course it is tough to meet new people if you do not work and have no hobbies that make you interact with others outside of the internet.
I used to have that earlier in my career. Not now. Zero socializing through work. Everyone is married and nobody does happy hours or anything. It kinda sucks. I don't meet people when I'm out and about, so I don't know. Its just hard here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 10:25 AM

8,484 posts, read 6,891,592 times
Get a dog. Seriously.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:29 AM

96 posts, read 87,236 times
I don't know it is something I am still dealing with. I think at this age it is harder cause most people have a significant other. I mean its not like I can't find someone, but I think the hard part is finding someone that is desirable per se. I have a decent job, college educated, work out regularly, been told that I am handsome/cute, but it seems the girls that are interested me do not have a lot of things going for them. Usually they are really overweight, have dead end jobs, not college educated, have kids etc.... Feel at some part might just settle lol.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Get a dog. Seriously.
My cat literally saved my life. I'm holding out on a dog because of upcoming travel and not wanting to stress my cat out. She's a great pet. I wouldn't be alive today without her.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Get a dog. Seriously.
yeah I am thinking about it. Only concern I have is dealing with landlords since it cost more to have a pet and all that, plus I plan to be busy filling my time with different hobbies.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeistyCar7 View Post
I don't know it is something I am still dealing with. I think at this age it is harder cause most people have a significant other. I mean its not like I can't find someone, but I think the hard part is finding someone that is desirable per se. I have a decent job, college educated, work out regularly, been told that I am handsome/cute, but it seems the girls that are interested me do not have a lot of things going for them. Usually they are really overweight, have dead end jobs, not college educated, have kids etc.... Feel at some part might just settle lol.
Ditto. I'm much older than you, but divorce a decade ago put me in the same spot. Career does nothing to help my dating except I can now travel. I'm given the same compliments, but it just makes no difference. I'm at a loss. Desperate women want me, but women who are my equal do not. Or maybe they do, but I miss the signals.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
Ditto. I'm much older than you, but divorce a decade ago put me in the same spot. Career does nothing to help my dating except I can now travel. I'm given the same compliments, but it just makes no difference. I'm at a loss. Desperate women want me, but women who are my equal do not. Or maybe they do, but I miss the signals.
How much older? i always thought dating gets easier as you get older because you will have a decent job, more mature, masculine etc... They say men age like wine. When I was working some crappy jobs my dating life was non-existent. I am hoping now that I have a decent job my dating life will improve.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
How much older? i always thought dating gets easier as you get older because you will have a decent job, more mature, masculine etc... They say men age like wine. When I was working some crappy jobs my dating life was non-existent. I am hoping now that I have a decent job my dating life will improve.
I'm 50, but you also have to understand that I live in the worst city imaginable for dating and the dating world has dramatically changed for the worst (my opinion as a Gen X'er). Dating apps make dating harder, not easier. Online dating was decent before the apps came along. Now its a shyyyt show. I don't have any answers. I know if I lived back in my home town I'd have multiple ways to meet women (dating services, church, friends, etc). Just not the case here, so I'm going overseas.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I'm 50, but you also have to understand that I live in the worst city imaginable for dating and the dating world has dramatically changed for the worst (my opinion as a Gen X'er). Dating apps make dating harder, not easier. Online dating was decent before the apps came along. Now its a shyyyt show. I don't have any answers. I know if I lived back in my home town I'd have multiple ways to meet women (dating services, church, friends, etc). Just not the case here, so I'm going overseas.
out of curiosity where do you live? Yeah I find dating apps make it harder because you are competing with so many people and the girls that show you interest are not my equal per se. A lot of girls use it as a ego boost too. They have no intention of seriously dating just there for attention.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:56 AM

Quote:
out of curiosity where do you live? Yeah I find dating apps make it harder because you are competing with so many people and the girls that show you interest are not my equal per se. A lot of girls use it as a ego boost too. They have no intention of seriously dating just there for attention.
Precisely. Oklahoma City, the armpit of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology