Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 05:23 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
The best you can do to make up for your mistakes is not to repeat them.
Not true, have you never heard of making direct amends to those harmed.?
Amends can turn barriers into bridges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loz64 View Post
Thank you. She passed away today and my heart is broken. I am very sad but somewhat numb as well.
They usually don't last as long as we do.
I have a Maine coon visiting my rear deck every nite, I'm up in Northern Maine, its bitter bitter cold here.
So I think I'll feed it , maybe it wants to be friends.
I'm sure theres a kitten out there with your name on it.

Old 02-20-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes keep trying for your goals. I didn’t meet the perfect man for me until I was almost 55. As long as you’re still alive it’s not over!
I met the perfect gal, she was too busy looking for the perfect man.

Old 02-20-2020, 05:35 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
I met the perfect gal, she was too busy looking for the perfect man.
That’s why I said “perfect for ME”

Old 02-20-2020, 05:49 PM

4,927 posts, read 2,907,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loz64 View Post
Thank you. She passed away today and my heart is broken. I am very sad but somewhat numb as well.
I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. I've had one (1) cat my entire adult life, three in all. It hurts when they get old and pass away, but another one will adopt you when the time is right. People who love animals are the best. <<<<<hugs>>>>>

Old 02-20-2020, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Just curious...what circumstances have led to Anxiety/Depression in your life and what steps have you taken (or are taking) to resolve it?
Its interesting that most people point to things exterior to themselves.
Depression is a state of being, not a healthy one either.
I've heard it described as anger turned inward.
Circumstances might trigger depression but it was already there.

I read an article that said facebook caused depression, such nonsense.
Depressed people on facebook may compare their insides to other peoples outsides,
thats the lie they swallow.
Those same people mistake social media for a real social life.

From my perspective, I have learned I was spiritually vulnerable, especially if I isolate.

Karl Jung wrote about this in various ways
" man is something more than intellect, emotion, and two dollars’ worth of chemicals, "

"You might be led to a spiritual experience by an act of grace or through a personal and honest contact with friends, or through a higher education of the mind beyond the confines of mere rationalism.
I am strongly convinced that the evil principle prevailing in this world leads the unrecognized spiritual need into perdition if it is not counteracted either by real religious insight or by the protective wall of human community. An ordinary man, not protected by an action from above and isolated in society, cannot resist the power of evil."

Old 02-20-2020, 06:27 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,959,283 times
Apologies are just words. Talk is cheap. No one can undo a harm they have done. They can only act differently to the one they harmed and others going forward. That is the only amends that means anything. I understand the 12 step program, but I have never seen anyone make amends to anyone for anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Not true, have you never heard of making direct amends to those harmed.?
Amends can turn barriers into bridges.

Old 02-20-2020, 07:10 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
I'm so sorry to hear about your cat. I've had one (1) cat my entire adult life, three in all. It hurts when they get old and pass away, but another one will adopt you when the time is right. People who love animals are the best. <<<<<hugs>>>>>
Yes we are

Old 02-21-2020, 02:54 AM

21,543 posts, read 8,724,324 times
I believe that my lifelong tendency to anxiety, insecurity and depression stems from something that I don't even remember. I was nine months old when my father was in a severe accident at work that nearly killed him. He was hospitalized for months. During that time my mother was a nervous wreck. She was a housewife with two young children, and she didn't know whether her husband was going to live or die.

Mom would go visit Dad at the hospital every day, twice a day, leaving me in the care of others. I must have been terrified, but I was too young to understand why my mother was nervous and distracted all the time and kept disappearing for hours. She told me that whenever she would leave the house, I would start crying and crawl after her. On one of those occasions, I hit my bare knee on something sharp and became so hysterical, I went into convulsions. Another time, Mom said she came home to find me sitting by myself in dirty diapers holding a bottle of sour milk. My grandmother (Dad's mom), who was supposed to be watching me, was pacing up and down the driveway crying, "Poor Daley, poor Daley" (My father's name was Dale).

I suspect that this abandonment and neglect, though it was temporary, left lifelong scars. Later in life I told the story to a psychiatrist, who said that early childhood trauma can indeed have this effect even if we're too young to remember it.

Old 02-24-2020, 10:55 AM

971 posts, read 688,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman99 View Post
Just curious...what circumstances have led to Anxiety/Depression in your life and what steps have you taken (or are taking) to resolve it?
My wife left for another man in 2011. I lost my family and home, basically everything. I went thru the heavy drinking stage that evry man that's been screwed over goes through. Went to a counselor out of desperation, until I realized that is just a money making racket and really doesn't help.

Tried Zoloft, Ativan, Wellbutrin, Xanax and Seroquel. Nothing worked and Seroquel had horrible side effects. Tried Lunesta and others for sleep. Nothing worked.

A new georgeous young lover and a moderate amount of booze worked. She made me feel like a man again and helped me become my old confident self again. The booze helped me sleep.

It's been 10 years now and I have for the most part gotten over it and have decided it is now time to get on with my life. I have had 10 years of meaningless flings (with one or two exceptions) but it is time to start living again. The thought of dating is depressing though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology