Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 04:59 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,576,196 times

Advertisements

Tattoos in the last 20 years used to signify to others that the person with tattoos is 'edgy', especially those with many tattoos.

But now tattoos are so common (and multiple tattoos) that it is no longer particularly 'edgy' or signifying someone who thinks outside of the mainstream.

A good number do not realize that tattoos no longer signify edginess because they are pretty commonplace.

I wonder about people like Adam Levine (lead singer/musician of band Maroon 5) and Justin Bieber who cover every inch of their torso and every inch of their arms (on legs and neck too) - I wonder what they are thinking - both, and people like them, have destroyed and desecrated their bodies leaving no skin without tattoos. And actor Ben Affleck who has massive tattoos covering his entire back, every inch.

Old 02-15-2020, 05:00 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,431,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
The purpose of my post was just as stated: to understand what motivates people to get them. l.
Have you achieved any clarity yet on the subject?

Old 02-15-2020, 05:08 PM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
For me I wanted to get a nice one while on vacation in Amsterdam from a legend. I got the Tattoo from the legendary Bill Loika and paid a lot for it. Unfortunately it looks like a blind drunk with the shakes done it. It has been 11 years and I have regretted it everyday because it is so horribly done.

Old 02-16-2020, 12:57 AM

1,607 posts, read 1,942,903 times
Not into tats personally. When I enlisted in the Army, my mother warned me that if I got inked and she found out about it, it was coming off. Didn't matter where the tattoo was located or what I got inked, she get the rustiest, dullest razor blade and remove it herself. Needless to say, I wisely heeded her advice.

From a law enforcement standpoint, tats were very helpful in identifying identities and/or gang affiliations, no matter whether the individual was dead or alive. Many times the tats told the whole story.

Old 02-16-2020, 04:37 AM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
Tats are hardly a topic for this forum. Now, asking why some folks are so offended by tats would be a good topic.

Old 02-16-2020, 06:59 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imbobbbb View Post
Have you achieved any clarity yet on the subject?
By now we hope the OP has caught on that the reasons for getting tattoos vary with individuals and that his imagined "demographic" of who gets them simply doesn't exist.

Old 02-16-2020, 07:01 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,696,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
Tats are hardly a topic for this forum. Now, asking why some folks are so offended by tats would be a good topic.
Well, I see them as disfiguring the body. Normally, we do everything we can to keep our skin nice and clear, so to mark it up with something that nature did not intend to be there is just wrong, IMO.

Again at work yesterday, a young lady walked by, not gorgeous, but not bad either, but she not only had tattoos down the front of her legs, but all over the backside of them too. She was in shorts, but I wonder how she looks when she is in a short dress or skirt for some formal or dressy affair.

I guess to each their own, but I still do not like to see them, particularly on a lady. I also feel the same way about nose rings, tongue rings, and eyebrow rings ! I like women just the way God made them.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:12 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
I don’t want tattoos either. But I am not too worried about them on other people.

It is interesting how men have such strong ideas about how women should look.

Old 02-16-2020, 10:28 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Back in the '50s, tattoos were one reliable sign of the sociopathic personality, according to the classic "The Mask of Sanity." Now they are considered cool and no big deal. I, for one, detest them (I know; okay, boomer). I personally find them aesthetically ugly (many look like the person took a Magic Marker and drew all over him- or herself) as well as a dumb idea (they're permanent when you may well change your mind about it later), a waste of money (often acquired by those who don't seem to have any disposable income) and somewhat risky (infections are not unheard of). Why are they now so popular, not to say ubiquitous, among a certain demographic?
Which demographic would that be? Everyone gets tattoos. Young and old, all ethnicities, etc. Plus, tattoos (and scarification) are a part of certain cultures.

Do you mean folks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dY8LG1qRPfQ

Old 02-16-2020, 10:44 AM

3,657 posts, read 2,937,139 times
One of the most messed up creations by man ever created. Yet people still pay money to be drawn on. Ugh, its going to stop one day if my eyes are lucky enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology