Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2020, 09:41 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times

Advertisements

No job, bad health, no home, no friends or family, and only the clothes on my back and less than $5.00 in my wallet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2020, 10:12 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
For me a lot of it is about control. I could handle having a low income and spartan housing if I am in control of my destiny. Most difficult parts of my life was about others being able to control me.

During the recession I flunked out of school and then couldn't even get an interview at fast food. I moved in with family. I was never hungry and was given money to eat out, I did all household chores and yard work. But they made me get rid of a dog and cat I loved dearly. Not a thing I could do about it.

Old 02-16-2020, 12:45 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
Rock bottom has nothing to do with money.
People in poverty but with a strong spiritual life are insulated from hitting rock bottom.
I'd say you're on track to hit rock bottom....and you'll be the last to know.
As someone who is such as you described. I agree in my case. I'n in poverty and I have what I consider a strong spiritual life.

Old 02-16-2020, 12:55 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
I think it depends on what you mean by "rock bottom."

My own depression has hit rock bottom recently, but overall my life, while has its problems, isn't that bad. Homelessness and lack of any social connections would likely be physical rock bottom.

Old 02-16-2020, 01:31 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,358 times
Looks like as long as I exist, there is no rock bottom for me. I have been on the streets, in hospital wards, verbally attacked, beaten, stolen from, ignored, avoided, deceived, hated, and more. In all of that, I have never given up as much to say that I hit rock bottom.

Old 02-17-2020, 03:47 PM

20,392 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I had to hit rock bottom in my relationship with my Ex. Even after we broke up, I wasn't there yet. I was trying to be cool and negotiate our parting of ways somehow, I was waiting to find out what would be OK for him, waiting for him to find work, waiting for an easy exit plan that would work out for everyone. Meanwhile he wasn't working, we were living on credit cards...I was living in a separate room in the basement, and he was still demanding that I sit in the garage and listen to him rant and ramble and monologue while chain smoking for hours. So I started avoiding home, because whenever I was there, I felt "chained" in that garage. (I did not want to spend time inside the household with him following me around ranting where the kids could hear, so the garage was the alternative.) He and I both got into online dating. I would go out and meet people, I started spending time with new friends, new partners, but only ever outside the house. My kids didn't meet them; my Ex didn't meet them. He, on the other hand, was getting with these seriously sketchy women, addicts, prostitutes, you name it...and he'd bring them to the house. Finally he found this woman in another state who was in her own kind of rock bottom place, in an abusive relationship. He persuaded her that our home would be a safe place to flee to, with her kids. She loaded a trailer, and brought out a bunch of junk, and her 5 year old and her 17 year old, who was a violent psycho to rival my Ex... And 4 unfixed dogs and a pregnant cat.

I was the only income, already struggling to support myself, my Ex, our two sons and one cat, and now this? And her family immediately started trashing the place. It was a train wreck. I think it was maybe two weeks into this madness that I told them all, "You've got one month, you both need jobs and to figure out what you're doing, because I am leaving. I'm done." My younger son definitely had to come with me, the older one could choose because he was 15 and that's old enough to have a voice in such matters. Also, he was very good at avoiding his Dad. He wanted to stay behind because he wanted to finish at his high school where his fiance was and his friends. He later did wind up bouncing around from a family friend's house down in that area, to living with me during summers and after graduation, and both sons wound up living with me.

I'd dealt with a lot of crazy already by that point, but that put it all just...over the edge. It no longer mattered, being all civil and trying to negotiate something good and workable. I just had to go.

Old 02-17-2020, 04:47 PM

9 posts, read 7,382 times
For me
Rock bottom is when I felt real big and chubby
I knew that wasn’t the real me
I got sick from being overweight one day while binging on food
I just laid there not able to get up or exercise
That was the worst feeling ever
Tears rolled down my eyes
I wanted to eat more but my body couldn’t keep up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology