Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 04:17 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,432,012 times

Advertisements

My school was putting together a 10 year reunion, and it was cancelled because only 13 people out of 303 graduates replied. In other words, little more than the planning committee and their immediate social circle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2020, 05:13 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,723,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I made the comment that HS reunions are going the way of the dodo bird because I know many people who graduated high school between 2000-2009 whose classes did not have 10 or 15 year reunions.

I didn’t miss a major point, it just isn’t a point typically applicable to people under 40.

Yes, I have made up my mind that I’m not going if my class ever has a reunion, but I doubt my class ever will.
Agreed. Also with the times today, many are moving farther away from home due to work. The majority of my graduating class from my SE Virginia HS don’t live with two hours of the area currently. They have too many priorities and bills to be bothered with a reunion.

Old 02-19-2020, 05:18 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,571,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Agreed. Also with the times today, many are moving farther away from home due to work. The majority of my graduating class from my SE Virginia HS don’t live with two hours of the area.

People fly home to be with family & friends....why can't they fly home for a reunion? A N D...IMO the majority stays living in the same area even if they are not in the same town.

Old 02-19-2020, 06:05 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,989 times
Quote:
Agreed. Also with the times today, many are moving farther away from home due to work. The majority of my graduating class from my SE Virginia HS don’t live with two hours of the area currently. They have too many priorities and bills to be bothered with a reunion.
Small town and rural America is dying. With the Millennial generation, the Millennials that grew up in areas of less than 100,000 typically moved away to more populous areas.

I have too many priorities to be bothered with a reunion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
My school was putting together a 10 year reunion, and it was cancelled because only 13 people out of 303 graduates replied. In other words, little more than the planning committee and their immediate social circle.
I'm hearing those sorts of stories commonly from 2000-2009 high school graduates.

This was an article from someone in the Class of 2002 talking about why her high school class didn't have a reunion.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
People fly home to be with family & friends....why can't they fly home for a reunion? A N D...IMO the majority stays living in the same area even if they are not in the same town.
People CAN do anything. WILL they is the question. And by and large all evidence is pointing to NO for my age group. Hell I live 15 minutes from my second HS and most from that school stayed close because this is a good job area and they couldn’t even get enough interested people from a class of 600+ to have a reunion.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
People CAN do anything. WILL they is the question. And by and large all evidence is pointing to NO for my age group. Hell I live 15 minutes from my second HS and most from that school stayed close because this is a good job area and they couldn’t even get enough interested people from a class of 600+ to have a reunion.

Lack of interest tho is not the same as just not bothering to have one........shrugs. They still get planned even if they don't have a good turnout. About half showed up at my 10 yr reunion but I am ita that the older people get.........the less likely they may care & more likely to have left the area. I dunno how I'll feel when my 20 yr. comes around.....BUT I'm still going to stay in touch with friends from high school & college either way..................

Old 02-19-2020, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Lack of interest tho is not the same as just not bothering to have one........shrugs. They still get planned even if they don't have a good turnout. About half showed up at my 10 yr reunion but I am ita that the older people get.........the less likely they may care & more likely to have left the area. I dunno how I'll feel when my 20 yr. comes around.....BUT I'm still going to stay in touch with friends from high school & college either way..................
My schools didn’t bother to have one BECAUSE of the lack of interest. A dealbreaker when you have to plan a reunion and start actually putting down deposits and pay for crap.

Old 02-19-2020, 08:54 PM

Quote:
My schools didn’t bother to have one BECAUSE of the lack of interest. A dealbreaker when you have to plan a reunion and start actually putting down deposits and pay for crap.

They had to have started to plan it in order to know there wasn't enough interest tho.......

Old 02-19-2020, 09:51 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I've never been to a class reunion and have no plans to go. That would necessitate returning to the small town I grew up in and it gives me a feeling of dread. All of my remaining family is there.

Something happened during my junior year that I've never been able to talk about. But there was gossip about it at school, I overheard it. Which meant it spread like poison ivy.

In small towns, nobody ever forgets.
During one of my husband's class reunions when he was about fifty he went back to his small hometown. An older man came up to him on the street and said, "Hey, aren't you the kid who raced down main street one night and ran into the sale barn?" (Caused a lot of damage.)

He came home shaking his head. "They'll never let me live that down."

Old 02-20-2020, 04:39 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
There are really only 2 reasons to go to a high school reunion.

1. You were popular in high school and wish to re-live your glory days.
2. You were a pathetic loser in high school who became successful and/or better looking and you wish to shove it in everyone's face.
Yes, exactly. And I can't imagine anyone in category #2 actually wanting to come to a reunion, but if they do, more power to them. So high school reunions basically end up being a mutual admiration club for people in category #1. That is, for the aged popular kids to pat each other on the back, regardless of whether they now work as a CEO or an Uber driver.

I fit into neither category. I basically viewed high school as a prison sentence, for the crime of being young. So all I wanted to was serve my time, make a few friends with decent fellow inmates, avoid the shady ones, stay out of the correctional officers' watchful eye, and learn a thing or two along the way. The ridiculously tight security made the dark-humored analogy all too true.

Not to mention, all the popular kids at my high school kind of looked the same: Abercrombie & Fitch shirt, Eastpak backpack, and a Honda Accord. I can just look at those in the street, without spending time and money. (Well, except A&F; I'm glad that brand is a has-been.)

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 02-20-2020 at 05:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology