Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2020, 08:18 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,699,796 times

Advertisements

During all of the traumatizing, troubling, stressful days of my life I have always watched an episode of the Three Stooges or read a book about them. It never fails to get me laughing. Try it...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2020, 09:04 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
The podcast is called Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History. He only does a few podcasts a year and the are often 3-4 hours long (so I listen to them in pieces). The WW1 series he did was called Blueprint for Armageddon. It’s in 6 parts and starts in October 2013.
Excellent, thank you. I hope you've seen 1917, a truly outstanding film. I'd also recommend They Shall Not Grow Old, a 1 hr. 40 min. documentary by filmmaker Peter Jackson (of the Lord of the Rings) who has restored archival footage from WWI and colorized all of it.

Old 02-21-2020, 09:07 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
During all of the traumatizing, troubling, stressful days of my life I have always watched an episode of the Three Stooges or read a book about them. It never fails to get me laughing. Try it...
No thanks, I have too many functional brain cells.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:25 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post

Dance with the Devil, the Devil doesn't change. You change.

Just walk off, if you've had your limits of horror.
Blondebaerde just reminded me of one of my favorite truisms:

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Some of my favorite films are about people who set out with good intentions only to be caught in the web of evil deeds. It's true that trauma can change us in ways we don't like and we all come to a limit of what's good for us. Even psychopaths self-destruct with too rich a diet.

Since you're interested in history, perhaps even the kind which changes us for the worse, why not read a little about what happened to culture after the war was over? Englishman Evelyn Waugh has a great deal to say about the transformation of English culture as a result of WWI. And he does it with a sharp eye and witty, withering tongue. He is writing of personal tragedy but his observations are hilarious in that dry English manner. He might provide a welcome break.

Old 02-21-2020, 12:52 PM

3,711 posts, read 2,699,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
No thanks, I have too many functional brain cells.
Oh, a wise guy, eh?

Old 02-21-2020, 02:53 PM

10,093 posts, read 6,436,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Excellent, thank you. I hope you've seen 1917, a truly outstanding film. I'd also recommend They Shall Not Grow Old, a 1 hr. 40 min. documentary by filmmaker Peter Jackson (of the Lord of the Rings) who has restored archival footage from WWI and colorized all of it.
I could watch all of that except when the horses were getting shot and shelled.

Old 02-21-2020, 03:46 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Reading only the thread title, this popped in my mind: https://www.bartleby.com/364/252.html

Anyone familiar? The audio recording is haunting.

Old 02-21-2020, 04:22 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,076,437 times
OP, I went through something similar years and years ago when I read Randy Shilts's book And the Band Played On (about the early years of the AIDS epidemic). I tend to read just before going to sleep, but this book literally gave me nightmares, so I had to put it aside and watch something silly on TV or read a "light" book for a while -- i.e., Shilts's words simply could not be the last things I read/heard before sleeping.

I've also taught a course on the Holocaust and that was difficult and traumatic for both the students and me, but we knew it would be. We would often watch films or video clips (e.g., survivor stories) in class, and I would leave the lights off for several minutes afterward so we could all decompress (or wipe away tears) before talking about what we'd just seen.

I can read about war but not just before sleeping ... some things are just too painful to think about at that time.

Old 02-21-2020, 07:32 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Reading only the thread title, this popped in my mind: https://www.bartleby.com/364/252.html

Anyone familiar? The audio recording is haunting.
No, I wasn't. But I can "hear" the boots just reading it. He caught the essence.

Poor old Rudyard, a man now shunned for being of his time.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:48 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalewskimm View Post
Are you a guy? I've only ever known men to laugh at their antics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology