Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 07:36 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It depends upon your body. I’m embarrassed for women who are too fat for a two piece bathing suit, but are too clueless to realize it. Bikinis look fine on young thin bodies, but if you have rolls of flab, please don’t make me look at it.
I'm not. In this image-conscious culture we live in I respect any woman whose body doesn't conform to mainstream ideals (read: any overweight woman) who is still confident enough to rock a 2-piece has my respect.

Anyway, it's a silly question. Who cares why people wear what they wear at a beach/pool/water park? OP do you expect them in formal wear at these places?

Old 02-25-2020, 07:59 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,086,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
Thank god I have my own pool and dont have to worry about nonsense like this. Besides, who needs bathing suits anyway?
Yes, naturists solved this problem a long time ago.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:15 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoSox 15 View Post
Why should you feel embarrassed? That's just weird. If a woman is comfortable to wear what she wants (God Forbid!), what's the issue?

I really couldn't care any less what people wear to the beach. I tend to focus on my family or friends and having a good time. Kind of weird to live your life concerned with what others do and missing out on experiences with your own friends/family. But that's just me.

One time a friend and myself were at the local pool with our kids. Neither of us had model-like bodies. My friend was more self-conscious than I was. She was asking me why I didn't seem to be so self conscious. I told her to look around. So she did. Then I asked her "how many bodies here are all that hot? We noted that maybe there was 3 or 4. Then I asked her "who are all the guys going to look at?" We acknowledged to each other that the guys were probably going to be looking at the hot girls, so we could slip under the radar. LOL

We often go swimming in one of the spring-fed lakes out in the country. It's fun, it's relaxing, and the perfect thing after a day of hard work. Wear what feels good, and you feel comfortable in. That's really all that matters.

I wear a tankini top with underwire support, and boy shorts. I feel supremely secure in my top. Though it plunges down to THERE, and I feel more comfortable wearing a tank or tshirt over it.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:51 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
I've worn both and always preferred a one piece. I'm a competitive swimmer and participate in water sports. Bikinis just aren't comfortable to me. The bottoms ride, the tops don't stay put and I appreciate a bit of material between me and, say, my surfboad.

I also have a long torso. They make one pieces for long torsos.

When I have to go to the bathroom, I simply push the material to the side and go.

Ultimately, though, women should wear whatever they want, unless the suit is ill-fitting. I've seen women constantly pulling, re-adjusting, sticking their hands in their suits and that just looks miserable.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:57 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
As a guy, I wonder why women wear bikinis.

1. Women feel violated if guys see them in their underwear--until it's at the beach, and they're wearing waterproof underwear.
2. Do women wear bikinis to feel sexy and show off in front of guys?
3. Wouldn't women think that bikinis are overly sexualized?
4. At my university's gym pool, even many female lap swimmers would wear bikinis, along with swim caps and goggles. It looked funny and out of place. Women, how can you do any serious swimming in a bikini?
5. A decade ago when I was a boy, I took swim lessons with a couple other kids. One of the girls was 8 or 9 years old and had 4 or 5 bikinis she rotated between. One of her swimsuits was a thong bikini with an attached miniskirt. She would dive head first into the pool, and her miniskirt would blow up, revealing her bare buttocks. Isn't that awfully risque for such a young girl?
6. Why do women's swimsuits show off the leg more than guys' swimsuits? Even one pieces leave the leg completely exposed. Guys' have their thighs covered (unless it's Europe and they're wearing speedos).
7. Also at my university, girls would sunbathe on the lawn in front of the dorms in their bikinis...once again, isn't that a bit too much?

IMO....most guys look at us in bikinis instead of trying to think about why we wear them........

Bikinis are fashionable..........BUT ofc everybody is different about what they like to wear or why. So....if somebody doesn't want to.....they don't. If some guy doesn't want to look...he doesn't.

I love wearing bikinis tho.....& tbh I couldn't imagine wearing any other kind of swimwear....tho I do think we have to tone it down & be respectful of where we are or think about who is around us....like at a pool party............(just like any fashion tho).........

Old 02-25-2020, 08:58 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,020 times
Because they want to. Because they are more comfortable or easier or they feel better in them or whatever reason they want.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:13 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Sorry this offends your delicate sensibilities, but many larger women also have larger chests, and one-piece suits are typically not designed for women with different chest sizes like two-piece suits are. If you wear a two piece, it is much easier to find tops with the proper support designed for a specific bra size. There are some brands that do offer tankini tops for women with somewhat larger chests, but the options are still smaller.

Also, with a one piece, you have to be the same size on top as you are on the bottom. Many women (particularly in the US where we tend to be pear shaped) are not the same size on top and bottom, so the fit is just wrong. For most women, a two-piece option is the most practical one.
And with the bathing suit options out there, it's not like a fat woman in a one piece magically looks smaller (or less "offensive" to senstive eyes.) So why shouldn't she wear what she wants? The hairy dude with the beer gut is enjoying a nice day in the sun, so should everyone else.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 02-25-2020 at 09:21 AM..

Old 02-25-2020, 09:31 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,256,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It depends upon your body. I’m embarrassed for women who are too fat for a two piece bathing suit, but are too clueless to realize it. Bikinis look fine on young thin bodies, but if you have rolls of flab, please don’t make me look at it.
I was on a cruise last month and there was a woman in a thong bikini with HUGE, cellulite-dimpled butt cheeks hanging out. Why would anyone do that? I am much smaller than that woman was, and I would never wear a thong bikini.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:31 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
I don't like my girl parts being that close to being exposed so for years I've done boys swim trunks with a well fitting bikini top.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:38 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I was on a cruise last week and there was a woman in a thong bikini with huge cellulite-dimpled butt cheeks hanging out. Why would anyone do that? I am much smaller than that woman was, and I would never wear a thong bikini.

Ita.....lots wear them that shouldn't............but if that's what they want to do........shrugs......

There are lots of women that don't care about how they look..........& it's sad IMO....because the better you look....the better you feel & the healthier you are...............to show off any fashion or style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology