Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 08:50 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
It is baloney. But, I also think it's a bit deeper than that. The reason I say that is that it's almost universal, and sort of timeless, history of them by different names. Before the modern age they were "evil spirits" and there are plenty of cultures with ritual purification practices that look much like a detox diet of some sort.

There is probably some placebo effect going on with people who believe nonsense. It doesn't detoxify them but it makes them feel more healthy, therefore it must work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2020, 11:16 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Definitely I think most people lack solid critical thinking skills. I think the biggest example is what I call “first level thinking,” which means only on the surface of any issue. Like “we should have free healthcare for everyone because it’s good to be healthy.” Basic thinking, lacks any understanding of complex issues. How would we train enough doctors? We don’t have enough now. What happens to wait times? How would the economy be affected by the massive taxation required? How many jobs would immediately be lost in health insurance? There’s zero depth to their thinking.

Or “this place is so green! I love green, green is pretty.” That ain’t it, chief. Green means bugs and rain, think beyond the surface, the greener it is, the more it must rain. You can decide you’re ok with that but at least think it through. A to B to C to D. Beyond first level thinking.

Look at how people spend their money. How could you justify spending $30 eating out for dinner if you make $10/hour? That makes no sense, unless maybe it’s your birthday, but the math and critical thinking skills are just lacking. Or maybe more accurately discipline and future thinking. Any way you cut it, most people aren’t operating at a very high level.

I am blown away that the average IQ is 100, like... the idea of trying your best and scoring 100, that’s just flat out dumb to me. It explains a lot about the world around me though that people seriously struggle to do much better than that. Their minds are about as sharp as a butter knife.

Old 03-11-2020, 04:48 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,156,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Definitely I think most people lack solid critical thinking skills. I think the biggest example is what I call “first level thinking,” which means only on the surface of any issue. Like “we should have free healthcare for everyone because it’s good to be healthy.” Basic thinking, lacks any understanding of complex issues. How would we train enough doctors? We don’t have enough now. What happens to wait times? How would the economy be affected by the massive taxation required? How many jobs would immediately be lost in health insurance? There’s zero depth to their thinking.

Or “this place is so green! I love green, green is pretty.” That ain’t it, chief. Green means bugs and rain, think beyond the surface, the greener it is, the more it must rain. You can decide you’re ok with that but at least think it through. A to B to C to D. Beyond first level thinking.

Look at how people spend their money. How could you justify spending $30 eating out for dinner if you make $10/hour? That makes no sense, unless maybe it’s your birthday, but the math and critical thinking skills are just lacking. Or maybe more accurately discipline and future thinking. Any way you cut it, most people aren’t operating at a very high level.

I am blown away that the average IQ is 100, like... the idea of trying your best and scoring 100, that’s just flat out dumb to me. It explains a lot about the world around me though that people seriously struggle to do much better than that. Their minds are about as sharp as a butter knife.
How odd that you only chose to use examples that would provide some benefits even if they are unrealistic but fail to address the lack of critical thinking skills about "too big to fail" or companies that pollute, examples that actually affected people.

Old 03-11-2020, 06:58 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,075 times
Quote:

How does this even begin to make sense? Other than just to reinforce your personal 'ick' factor about bugs and rain?

Old 03-11-2020, 07:41 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
Yes, especially during this Coronavirus frenzy. All you have to do is walk down the aisle of your grocery store that sells toilet paper.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:44 AM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
Quote:
You know that 100 is an arbitrary scale, correct? If you're of average intelligence, that's not a bad thing. It means you're more "intelligent" than half the population on the planet. That's good enough to accomplish 99% of what you need in life.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:04 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,020,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
You know that 100 is an arbitrary scale, correct? If you're of average intelligence, that's not a bad thing. It means you're more "intelligent" than half the population on the planet. That's good enough to accomplish 99% of what you need in life.
Average =/= median

Old 03-11-2020, 09:58 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
I probably shouldn't be, but I'm often surprised how so many older people eagerly embrace fake information about medicine from sketchy websites, their hairdresser, their friends, etc. I want to tell them about confirmation bias but I don't, because I know they'll never change their minds.

I know a woman who believes her son's primary cancer was caused by the chemotherapy administered to treat that primary cancer. Perhaps she also believes time flows backwards and effect comes before cause.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:25 PM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Absolutely.

Just look at the TP panic. Not a roll to be had in any stores and yet the canned goods are stocked to the ceiling.

A reporter went into the stores and asked people why they are buying so much TP.
Most answered "Because everyone else is".

Old 03-17-2020, 02:10 PM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
There is probably some placebo effect going on with people who believe nonsense. It doesn't detoxify them but it makes them feel more healthy, therefore it must work.
Or they've cut out cheetohs and Diet Coke and feel better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology