Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 04:28 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,196,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
That's interesting, because I was thinking it was just something about the way she looked. Not the typical style in the late 70's. Now I'm even more curious.
that kind of pensive look in photos was indeed popular in the teen mags in the 70's. Perhaps it was the starkness of the image, and the pensive sad look that triggered feelings that scared you. Doesn't necessarily mean you had a traumatic incident in your life. You could have had a babysitter or a relative who bent top close over you in our cot and it felt overwhelming and slightly suffocating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2020, 06:31 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I am guessing the lighting exaggerated features and made the person's face scary to a kid who had perhaps never seen such a photo?

I was skeeved out by the pic of the Indian Chief on an Indian Chief tablet when I was very, very young. So stuff like that does happen.

But more to the point, why is this an issue for you now? You have certainly moved past being scared by a photo?

And not all the reactions we had when young are particularly noteworthy or significant.
That's a good question. I hadn't even thought about it in years. Something must have triggered the memory. Right now I wish I could see the photo again. I even wonder if there was a problem with the girl, like maybe she was in some kind of personal trouble and I could sense that. The whole thing just doesn't make any sense to me.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:56 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
That's a good question. I hadn't even thought about it in years. Something must have triggered the memory. Right now I wish I could see the photo again. I even wonder if there was a problem with the girl, like maybe she was in some kind of personal trouble and I could sense that. The whole thing just doesn't make any sense to me.
Well, I’d forgotten about being petrified of the Indian chief on the Indian Chief tablet until you brought up your memory, so who knows? I thought he looked really fierce at the time.

Old 03-07-2020, 08:04 PM

4,205 posts, read 4,456,008 times
I'm guessing it was association of some sort. Her facial features in my memory bank immediately conjure up image of a mime and while I do not fear them I do detest mimes. Perhaps it is something akin to that?

Ruth has a good point on the large eyes and short hair creating a certain effect on perception. Visuals of someone made up a lot in a photo shoot, depending on the goal, may make them appear doll like which may trigger what is known as the "uncanny Valley" sense of something that is not real?

Perhaps she looked as this wax image of her?

Old 03-07-2020, 09:14 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,204 times
Shelley Duvall had huge eyes, a very unusual face, not pretty in the traditional sense, but her face was memorable.

Old 03-07-2020, 09:17 PM

8,495 posts, read 4,161,204 times
Maybe your reaction came from ancient memory.

Old 03-07-2020, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
I'm guessing it was association of some sort. Her facial features in my memory bank immediately conjure up image of a mime and while I do not fear them I do detest mimes. Perhaps it is something akin to that?

Ruth has a good point on the large eyes and short hair creating a certain effect on perception. Visuals of someone made up a lot in a photo shoot, depending on the goal, may make them appear doll like which may trigger what is known as the "uncanny Valley" sense of something that is not real?

Perhaps she looked as this wax image of her?

That's very interesting. But no, she was real.

But thanks for posting that wax dummy. Now I'm definitely going to have new nightmares.

Old 03-07-2020, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolgato View Post
Maybe your reaction came from ancient memory.
Possible

Old 03-07-2020, 09:31 PM

The face might have looked vulnerable and in danger, compared to most teenagers of the era.
I know that I had seen the Chick Tract, Somebody Loves Me. It had a similar face in the cartoon.

Old 03-08-2020, 10:00 AM

7,126 posts, read 12,665,237 times
Maybe you have an allergy to the over-use of mascara?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology