Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 08:47 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Although I find it very negative, and kind of concerning, and not positive, I think wishing ill on others is "normal" in that it's common.

Shadenfreude. A term for enjoying seeing bad things happen to people you don't even dislike.

Common. Just not healthy or positive.

And I think it would be "normal" to imagine bad things happening to someone who is directly harming you. I completely get that.

But to purposely seek out people who you want to enjoy watch suffer, although they haven't harmed you or anyone you love, is extremely negative, IMHO. It's one thing to say well, I'm glad they finally caught that guy and he's out of the public. It's another to conjure up witnessing him suffer cruel punishments.

Says something about the person who's doing the fantasizing. And those who do that somehow think they're the ones on the moral high ground compared to those who don't enjoy seeing others suffer.

Where are you getting this notion that it's common? I think some of you want it to be normal or common, or just human nature....perhaps because you'll feel better about your own personal wishes, but I don't at all think it's normal or common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 09:18 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
I think it is common only because I see so much of it on the internet. It's a thinking style that for some people seems to provide a sense of comfort or justice.

To me there's such an irony in that. Like aligning with what you hate and fear and not even being aware of it. We read about a brutal attack and murder and suddenly there will be pages of text from perfectly "decent" people talking about what they want to do or seen done to the perpetrator.

I think to myself that those were the same kinds of violent thoughts the perpetrator was having before he committed the violence. The thought precedes the act. At that moment the violator and the justice-seeker are aligned in purpose - harming another.

It doesn't mean that the poster will commit violence but I always wonder if it is healthy to dwell on violence toward others even in fantasy. Do people really want to think the same kinds of thoughts that perpetrators think? They don't have to.

Old 03-16-2020, 03:35 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
There is nothing you can "do" to people based on their feelings. There is no way to "punish" them so it's futile.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:07 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Sometimes I have felt that justice was done with an execution, or a life sentence passed. But I don't wish terrible pain on perpetrators of terrible crimes. In fact I don't wish pain of any kind on another human. If you do, you need to ask yourself why.

We have laws; justice is not vengeance. Vengeance is a tribal act, and we are supposed to be civilized.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:08 AM

346 posts, read 237,761 times
So say all of the horrid aforementioned tyrannical dictators suddenly dropped dead and the people that they ruled over rejoiced, would you consider them horrible people?

Old 03-18-2020, 04:45 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
no, it is NOT normal to want others to suffer

and it is not desirable. if we notice it happening, like other undeseriable traits or characteristics, we seek to train ourselves OUT of that behavior.

it is like raising children, we don't teach our children to want others to suffer.
we teach our children to ease the suffering of others through extending kindness, compassion, generosity, respect, courtesy, and dignity.

it has NOTHING to do with whether someone is "bad" or "evil"
that is simply an excuse to justify an undesirable, unsavory behavior

it is not normal or desirable to want ANYONE to suffer.
In other words, it's okay for professional criminals to continue to go on as they do with no consequences?

Old 03-18-2020, 04:59 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
By that I mean, say we found out the likes of Kim Jong Un, Rodrigo Duterte, Bashar Al-Assad, Xi Jinping, Vladimir Putin etc. had the worst case of bone cancer one could have and were destined to die but not before months of agonizing excruciating pain and suffering or say were on a plane that crashed and they along with all of their evil friends died in a blaze of glory. If you were happy and celebrated their suffering and deaths would that make you a bad person despite all of them fully deserving spending eternity in hell?
Nope, I am going to let God take care of it and do the judging. I'm not wishing bad things on bad people.

Old 03-18-2020, 06:27 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
In all honesty I'd rest quite well if I was given word on two humans that did great harm in my life were in anguish. Not in a happy go lucky way....more of a .. maybe now they can know suffering .
I'm not sadistic by nature ...so to say I'd be elated does little good in that mindset.

It's reminence of when a family sits in court...hears the verdict that the killer is guilty. They have a sense of okay...justice is being served...but it doesn't bring closure to the heartache.

Old 03-18-2020, 08:01 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,222,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
In all honesty I'd rest quite well if I was given word on two humans that did great harm in my life were in anguish. Not in a happy go lucky way....more of a .. maybe now they can know suffering .
I'm not sadistic by nature ...so to say I'd be elated does little good in that mindset.

It's reminence of when a family sits in court...hears the verdict that the killer is guilty. They have a sense of okay...justice is being served...but it doesn't bring closure to the heartache.
I think it's a sense of relief. If they are suffering in some way they probably are powerless to hurt more people. Think of the great Weinstein hunched over in his walker, falling down in his cell. Not a lot of sympathy going his way but there is relief he can't keep hurting people.

When I have heard bad things about my former bullies I felt relief that they were hobbled in some way, or if they die, I think whew, one less evil doer on the earth.

I was able to watch one of my greatest former bullies, who never changed much, go through some major stuff. Played the victim until the very end. No one even made an obituary for them.

Old 03-18-2020, 09:10 AM

76 posts, read 50,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
By that I mean, say we found out the likes of Kim Jong Un, Rodrigo Duterte, Bashar Al-Assad, Xi Jinping, Vladimir Putin etc. had the worst case of bone cancer one could have and were destined to die but not before months of agonizing excruciating pain and suffering or say were on a plane that crashed and they along with all of their evil friends died in a blaze of glory. If you were happy and celebrated their suffering and deaths would that make you a bad person despite all of them fully deserving spending eternity in hell?

This is your "Western World" view of who is evil. If you asked residents of other countries, I am sure you would get a very different list of evil people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology