Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 11:43 AM

2,910 posts, read 1,606,804 times

Advertisements

No we're not.

Old 05-11-2020, 12:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,037,189 times
Americans are no more selfish as a group than citizens of other countries. Americans are not some special breed of idealists, or cynics, hedonists or stoics. We are people who happen to share nationality and a certain culture. Some if us are awful human beings and some if us are modern saints. Most of us fall in between those two poles.

My point is, in general (which is how the OP is thinking) Americans are no better or worse than any other group or nationality. We are simply not special in any significant way, although we are lucky to be living in a rich country. We aren’t especially bad or especially good.

OP need more life experience, I think.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:07 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,536,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
I'll assume you are asking why aren't American more compliant with lockdown policies?

One could say they are selfish ignoring them but one could also say those who 'demand' people follow those policies are just as selfish willing to use the government to enforce a policy for their 'safety'.
But using government laws and regs for public safety IS the job of the government. We the people gave it that job. So those who want the govt to do its duty are not being selfish or self-centered. They are wanting the laws and regs & duties adhered to.

I live in a hurricane zone. Only the govt can handle the disaster & destruction and movement of people in the midst of it. And it has the authority to do it, or there are those who would refuse (even with the laws, there are those that refuse to follow the law). Because it's for the benefit of ALL the citizens and everyone's property, not just one person's life and property, that needs to be considered. As well as the safety of the first responders, who are put in jeopardy by foolish people who don't follow the govt's orders and enter an evacuation zone, or drive down a flooded street, or boat down a flooded street causing someone else's property to flood from the ripple effect.

There are people at risk from the virus. I get that most people don't care about seniors, but infants have died, as have teens and people of all ages. There are many people who put others at risk. They just don't care. You see them in stores right now, not wearing masks. So it's up to the govt to at least TRY to protect the citizens from the perps who unnecessarily put them at risk because they want to do whatever they want to do, whenever they want to do it, because they have the mistaken idea that that's what America is about.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:32 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,536,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samishiba View Post
Maybe because U.S is the richest country in the world? I always only a bad impression of Americans. The stereotype is Americans are arrogant, dumbass, etc.. when I know American Youtuber Tim Explica i'm surprise how adorable he is.
Have you seen Randy Rainbow's videos? You MUST!

Old 05-11-2020, 01:34 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,247,282 times
Why do you feel non Americans are entitled to my stuff?

Old 05-11-2020, 01:43 PM

4,242 posts, read 942,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
There are people at risk from the virus. I get that most people don't care about seniors, but infants have died, as have teens and people of all ages. There are many people who put others at risk. They just don't care. You see them in stores right now, not wearing masks. So it's up to the govt to at least TRY to protect the citizens from the perps who unnecessarily put them at risk because they want to do whatever they want to do, whenever they want to do it, because they have the mistaken idea that that's what America is about.
I think a LOT of us care about seniors, and anyone who doesn't, should care. Think of all the parents, grandparents, great grandparents who fall into this category. A lot of seniors live with younger family members too.

Everyone is at some level of risk, and everyone matters.

Old 05-11-2020, 02:06 PM

11,143 posts, read 7,905,273 times
Americans are smart. They’re realizing that we can’t sustain these restrictions and that eventually the chips are just going to have to fall where they may. I think most tried to comply, but the restrictions have become draconian at the expense of people’s jobs and livelihood and the ability of provide for themselves and their families. Very few are dying as opposed to those
Millions who lives are being disrupted and in a lot of cases ruined.

Old 05-11-2020, 02:33 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,396,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyandPearl View Post
No we're not.
Yeah, even number 6.

Americans are so apathetic about what others do, that they get annoyed or tired when they have to contemplate something seriously that is not within the range of their immediate living standards.

Old 05-11-2020, 03:01 PM

44,309 posts, read 19,980,564 times
Enough is enough. Making sweeping generalizations about any group of people, large or small, is never right nor correct. This thread is now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology