Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 09:04 AM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Can you name examples of othe nations, societies, that are opposite of what you describe?
Some Asian cultures (Korean, Japanese, Chinese, etc.) are much less individualistic than your general stereotypical American culture. There is more of a willingness to defer to authority and act for the greater society as opposed to "You can't tell me what to do, I do what I want." Of course that doesn't mean that all Asians are selfless and all Americans are not, but there are cultural differences.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:07 AM

12,831 posts, read 9,025,507 times
You sound panicked. People aren't doing what YOU think THEY should do; therefore THEY are selfish? We should be more concerned about the impact panicked people can have on society (and I'm not talking about just the current crisis, but the "crisis de jour").

Old 03-15-2020, 09:13 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,675,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Wow. This was completely unhelpful and unnecessary. What do you have against this person? (And if it was an attempt at humor, it fell way flat.)
It was obviously tongue-in-cheek, not humor. I find the premise of this thread ridiculous and for aileesic to say that he is one of the few people in the world who is not selfish is quite silly. If aileesic was not being silly and speaking honestly, then I find the post quite pretentious, hence an obvious tongue-in-cheek response.

My response wasn't really meant to be helpful or necessary to anyone. This is a silly thread, so I can't imagine posting serious responses.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:43 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,721,351 times
In general, Americans are very individualistic. That's an ingrained part of our culture. We also tend to be unrealistic optimists (yes, of course there are lots of exceptions!), thinking things like "that won't happen here," or "I'm sure it will all work out."

I find this stuff fascinating. You can compare the individualism/collectivism of different countries here: https://www.hofstede-insights.com/pr...are-countries/

I volunteer extensively for an organization that promotes cultural understanding, and I really love seeing personal examples of how this plays out in real life and how people manage to adapt to various situations... So I find the behaviors I'm seeing absolutely fascinating (in addition to absolutely terrifying in some ways).

Old 03-15-2020, 09:46 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,182,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
You are selfish. Spending is what allows small businesses to flourish and workers to keep their jobs. American workers are out of business because you are hoarding all your money for yourself. These workers have families they are trying to support. Greedy American, next time try to think of others.
Don't spend what I don't have. I think of others when staying away from them instead of harming them with an illness in some way. I am not selfish. Needing to control others is selfish.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:49 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,182,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
It was obviously tongue-in-cheek, not humor. I find the premise of this thread ridiculous and for aileesic to say that he is one of the few people in the world who is not selfish is quite silly. If aileesic was not being silly and speaking honestly, then I find the post quite pretentious, hence an obvious tongue-in-cheek response.

My response wasn't really meant to be helpful or necessary to anyone. This is a silly thread, so I can't imagine posting serious responses.
What part of my comments are not serious? I am on the autism spectrum, not like you guys who talk just for fun or to get a rise out of people.

The OP might not have been serious but sounds like it could very well be.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:49 AM

24,467 posts, read 10,793,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I'm not an expert on other countries, but immigrants who come to America don't want to become American, they just do it for the money/job opportunity.

And they huddle down, work to help their kids, and damn anyone else.

And that's not so different from the born and bread Americans. Sure they'll pretend to care about stuff, but if anything gets in the way of their consumer habits or inner circle, they become vicious.

Because that is all this country is about.

English undergrad

Are you ranting against yourself or are you trying to say something?

Old 03-15-2020, 11:10 AM

745 posts, read 479,597 times
You are focusing solely on the negative and bad characteristics of people. They certainly exist and our country has gone downhill in regards to moral and ethical behavior in my lifetime.

However, there are certainly many, many people who do great things in their communities. There are people who leave high paying careers to help others less fortunate.

Neighbors help neighbors all the time.

Your post simply isn't rational. Try to see the whole picture and maybe take a look at yourself and your attitude toward life, with all due respect.

Old 03-15-2020, 11:13 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,592,604 times
You folks are arguing with someone who has posted in Politics and Other Controversies his/her hatred for America and has posted about 'my country, Iran', only to say, 'I'm American' and 'I was born here'.

Have ANY of you EVER been confused about which country is yours?

Old 03-15-2020, 11:19 AM

1,159 posts, read 618,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
We can see it right now with everyone partying during the outbreak.

Sure Americans of all colors and sizes will be kind and pretend to care about a lot of stuff.

Maybe if something happens to them or their inner circle, they will start fighting for that cause.

But outside of that narrow scope Americans will never sacrifice any of their comforts for society or community.

Why?
you're too much. Did you not read the news stories about people in Australia hoarding and buying a bunch of stuff too? So you still thinking it's only Americans.... Ok wow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.