Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 11:28 AM

24,245 posts, read 10,556,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
You folks are arguing with someone who has posted in Politics and Other Controversies his/her hatred for America and has posted about 'my country, Iran', only to say, 'I'm American' and 'I was born here'.

Have ANY of you EVER been confused about which country is yours?

Never mind! I completely forgot that he cannot cook!

Old 03-15-2020, 11:32 AM

1,159 posts, read 614,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
All of them, and all immigrants become Americanized at some point.

And even the ones who are not mostly come here for their own family to get wealthy. None of that is wrong but its all that's fundamental to the American being.

Sure people will talk about kindness and all that, but its all about getting their kids into the best schools even at the detriment of others, buying useless stuff and pretending its culture, and getting first in line regardless of the consequences.

Every single American is selfish, regardless of race/class/ethnicity. People just show it in different ways.
I'm pretty sure people where you live are selfish too... Buying a bunch of toilet paper and water... Don't just point your finger at American

Old 03-15-2020, 12:20 PM

102,126 posts, read 107,381,087 times
Quote:
You folks are arguing with someone who has posted in Politics and Other Controversies his/her hatred for America and has posted about 'my country, Iran', only to say, 'I'm American' and 'I was born here'.

OK, this explains it. I guess I was right on, when I asked him on Page 1 of the thread, to tell us where he was from, and what brought him to our corner of the planet. Wow.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:25 PM

23,084 posts, read 18,469,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It’s the human condition. It’s not limited to Americans. And it applies to different people in various degrees.

Your premise is seriously flawed. You’ve just got some more growing up to do.
A premise like this fits my definition of "lazy thinking". Not that the OP's statement even rises to meet the bar of "premise". It is convenient and usually agenda-driven. When it would be too much trouble to be specific or even to provide justification for what was blurted out, roll out some stereotypic nonsense so you don't have to spend any more effort thinking about it.

I often think about how my departed Dad would react to some current event. He was quite self-centered about a lot of things. He wouldn't, for example, support recycling or energy conservation if it would inconvenience him even slightly. He was fairly cutthroat financially. Yes, he was born and lived his life in America so that makes him one. BUT, and its a big BUT, if someone he knew was in desperate need he would do whatever it took to help them. Often sooner than anyone else. So tell me...was he a Selfish American or not?

Old 03-15-2020, 12:40 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,400,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
A premise like this fits my definition of "lazy thinking". Not that the OP's statement even rises to meet the bar of "premise". It is convenient and usually agenda-driven. When it would be too much trouble to be specific or even to provide justification for what was blurted out, roll out some stereotypic nonsense so you don't have to spend any more effort thinking about it.

I often think about how my departed Dad would react to some current event. He was quite self-centered about a lot of things. He wouldn't, for example, support recycling or energy conservation if it would inconvenience him even slightly. He was fairly cutthroat financially. Yes, he was born and lived his life in America so that makes him one. BUT, and its a big BUT, if someone he knew was in desperate need he would do whatever it took to help them. Often sooner than anyone else. So tell me...was he a Selfish American or not?
Yup, America leads in charity donations by individuals.

Why? Because as a society private equity and government work to destroy people who do not increase state revenue.

Your father just like everyone else gives to charity so that our social contract never changes, just as he helps close friends.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:45 PM

4,525 posts, read 3,395,097 times
Lol, you sound very depressed, OP.

If you hate America that much, leave. No one's forcing you to stay here - lol. But let me guess, you're all talk and will still end up living here.

Also, everyone is at least a little selfish at their core, yourself included. Nothing wrong with admitting that.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:47 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,663,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisa83 View Post
I'm pretty sure people where you live are selfish too... Buying a bunch of toilet paper and water... Don't just point your finger at American
I finally figured out what this thread is about!! OP ran out of toilet paper!

Old 03-15-2020, 01:05 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,543,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OK, this explains it. I guess I was right on, when I asked him on Page 1 of the thread, to tell us where he was from, and what brought him to our corner of the planet. Wow.
And loves Cuba, by the way.

Check out post 5 in this thread. Would anyone make a mistake by referring to a country as 'my country' if you weren't born and raised there?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...l-systems.html

Old 03-15-2020, 02:48 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,177,164 times
Quote:

I have no country, I just reside in a place where I have a few things I can use for a bit while I'm here.

Old 03-15-2020, 03:25 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,381,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
We can see it right now with everyone partying during the outbreak.

Sure Americans of all colors and sizes will be kind and pretend to care about a lot of stuff.

Maybe if something happens to them or their inner circle, they will start fighting for that cause.

But outside of that narrow scope Americans will never sacrifice any of their comforts for society or community.

Why?
There are a few selfish aholes regardless of the country or nationality. Americans don’t have the monopoly on being selfish. Right now we don’t have a lockdown. When we do you’ll see a lot of surprised entitled aholes whining as to how they are being mistreated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.