Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2020, 11:25 AM

10,352 posts, read 7,977,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
No group of people in U.S. history have had it worse than the roughly 1982-1988 birth years.
I think the generation who turned eighteen to thirty during 1861 might disagree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 12:37 PM

2,281 posts, read 1,581,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikkipep View Post
My true career started at 23. Business analyst in a bank.

With profits taking a massive hit, companies simply won't have the money to invest anymore. Central banks and governments won't be able to save the day with huge amounts of cheap money this time. They too have ran out of resources.
I understand and also work in the banking industry. I went through the 2000 dot-com bust and 2008-09 housing crisis. The positives are this recession should not be as bad as 08-09. We could very well have a good recovery in 6-9 months. Remember, when one door is closing, another one is opening for us. Just be ready to look for and seize the opportunity.

Understand that the media will tell you unemployment will spike and anything else negative. They seem to not care who they hurt emotionally just for ratings. Please speak with your therapist or a helpful friend. It is tough but there are good things in the future.

Old 03-17-2020, 03:43 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
You are indulging in black and white, catastrophic thinking. I imagine your therapist tried to get you to NOT do this very thing.

Call your old therapist or a hotline or make an appointment with a new therapist. You must figure out how not to be so miserable.

It is not as if there are not serious problems in our world. But one year from now, things will be back to normal. And when you are thinking clearer, you can decide on to make changes in your world.

Old 03-17-2020, 03:55 PM

291 posts, read 377,455 times
This situation is extremely difficult for those of us struggling with anxiety/mental illness already. I'm glad you are not acting on your thoughts. Wait it out.I get it. Just stay with us & reach out.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:23 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
I think the generation who turned eighteen to thirty during 1861 might disagree with you.
Very true, and so would those of that same age group during the Great Depression, WWI and WWII. And there are undoubtedly WAY worse periods if you go back even further in history (Black Plague, anyone?).

OP, you need to look at the bigger picture, why in Heaven's name would someone want to off themselves based on what MIGHT happen? Yes, we are in for a rough few months, but at age 28, you're not in the group that has a high risk of becoming seriously ill or dying from this. I'm personally happy that the Coronavirus is not picking on young people, as the 1918 "Spanish Flu" did. Compared to that (with twenty million dead worldwide), this pandemic is relatively mild. They've already started vaccine trials, and I am very hopeful that the Big Brains among us will be able to minimize the affects. If I'm wrong, and you're eating cat food (or cats) a year from now, with the world economy in the can and no hope in sight, THEN is the time to have the thoughts you're having, but certainly not now. I'm sure that a lot of folks would argue against them even then, and rightly so. "Where there's life, there's hope".

Look, this virus attacks and kills overwhelmingly, people over age 65. If, worst case, ten percent of us in that age group don't make it out of this alive, at least the state pensions, SS, and Medicare will be greatly bolstered by our loss. In fact, I can't think of another age group that would, if affected by a disease with high mortality, would do LESS damage to the economy from our passing. Think of the great deal you'll be able to get on my house and car should I be struck down by this - I've got a lot more to potentially lose from this than you do, and I'm cracking jokes about it. So buck up, see a professional, and stop worrying so much. I greatly admire the Brits, who during the Great Blitz, endeavored to "Keep calm and carry on". Spend the free time you've been given to learn some history, it will go a long way to show you just how resilient people have been in our past. And see that professional - you need to realize that your brain is not working correctly right now, but you can be helped if you seek it.

Old 03-17-2020, 05:53 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,455,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Q. Bobalink View Post
Very true, and so would those of that same age group during the Great Depression, WWI and WWII. And there are undoubtedly WAY worse periods if you go back even further in history (Black Plague, anyone?)..
I limited it to U.S. history. I, as an individual born during the 1980s, had the opportunity to discuss with my grandparents their experiences during the Great Depression and World War II. The trauma that I experienced during the late 2000s recession and now in 2020 with Coronavirus Hysteria is every bit on par with my grandmother's experience during the Great Depression, if not worse.

The feelings that the OP describes are common for Millennials. The Millennial experience has been traumatic.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:34 PM

3,128 posts, read 2,253,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikkipep View Post
I'm 28 and I suffered from severe anxiety and depressive episodes throughout my teens and early 20s. I did 2 years of therapy and I have been stable for about 4 years now.

However, due to this coronavirus crisis, the suicidal thoughts have come back in full force. I think it's just because I'm perfectly aware of the true economic impact all this will have.

My generation can't really get a break. I started my career in the ruins of the 2008 crisis with a much lower wage than one of my equals would have had 10/20 years before. Now the 2020s will be another lost decade - massive unemployment, bankruptcies, etc. I had so many projects for my career and in a second it all goes bust. No more big opportunities, no more hiring, no more business opportunities.

So my mind will drift to these thoughts. It just comes to a point where it's better to thrown in the towel. I don't think I want to be around to witness social unrest and the collapse of civilization.
First of all, every generation complains that they can’t catch a break. If you have a few hours, I could tell you true story after true story of how many times I had to start over after being knocked down by LIFE.

Instead of thinking about throwing in the towel, how about you divert that energy towards finding solutions instead? I’m not trying to be hard on you OP, believe me I understand how unbelievably hard it can be at times just to plant your feet on the floor in the morning. Be that as it may, you will make your own opportunities if and when you realize that YOU and YOU ALONE control your destiny.

You want to catch a break? Get out there, roll your sleeves up, and make your own break. Companies are begging for people who aren’t just waiting on someone to do it for them, they want to see what kind of resolve potential employees have to find solutions.

By the help and grace of God I refused to quit, and I refused to be a victim. At the end of my working years I judge myself to be very successful, and that’s saying something because no one gave me any hope of being anything but a failure. You would be amazed at how far the right perspective will take you my friend.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:21 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,186,786 times
OP, turn off the TV. The network news has to come up with something sensational every 24 hours. That means upping the coronavirus reporting. Is this serious, yes. And you should take precautions, but we will come out of this. Back in the 1940s there was a polio epidemic. My grandmother told me stories about how movie theaters, pools, anything where a large number of people would go was shut down. One of the greatest economic expansions occurred following that period.

In the meantime, enjoy what you can. Personally, in the last couple of days I've been able to stop and listen to the birds and enjoy the warm weather (I'm in FL). I had been all busy and tied up with a negotiation in an eminent domain case and had forgotten how fortunate I was to be living here and enjoying the sunshine. Find something that makes you happy and stop to appreciate it.

I am not trying to make light of your feelings, but sometimes outside influences have more power over us than they should.

Old 03-18-2020, 01:33 AM

3,154 posts, read 2,064,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I limited it to U.S. history. I, as an individual born during the 1980s, had the opportunity to discuss with my grandparents their experiences during the Great Depression and World War II. The trauma that I experienced during the late 2000s recession and now in 2020 with Coronavirus Hysteria is every bit on par with my grandmother's experience during the Great Depression, if not worse.

The feelings that the OP describes are common for Millennials. The Millennial experience has been traumatic.
Being a "Boomer", I've got to admit to being naïve of the perception by "The Millennials" that their experience in the 2010 period was on par with the Great Depression, and this is coming from someone who came of age during the 1981 - 1983 recession - and I thought that time was rough with respect to finding a decent job, I owe a whole lot to my parents back then for backing my decision to go to college starting at age 23, I had always been a Blue Collar guy before that. My buddy's kid is now about 30 years old, and I remember him turning down a Union job with the railroad when younger - his Dad thought it was because he didn't want to do the strict drug tests. He moved back home for a while, but don't remember him feeling particularly "penalized".

And, not wanting to challenge your own experience or that of your Grandpa, but my Dad's stories from during the Great Depression were pretty grim, I listened to tales of his not having eaten for a couple of days at a time, and resorting to "wallpaper paste" (flour and water porridge) to have something in his belly. He didn't have two sticks to rub together as a teenager, and had some psychological damage (resulting in hoarding behavior as an adult from having nothing growing up), and made whatever money he could by cutting ice blocks, seining minnows, running trap lines, sawmill work, farming, and any kind of construction he could get his hands on, finally joining the Navy at the outbreak of WWII - he worked really hard throughout his life to make sure his kids didn't meet the same fate, and I am guilty of not appreciating it until I got older myself. If you experienced anything approaching that in the 2010's, then you have both my condolences and my apologies, for the rest of us let you down.

Old 03-18-2020, 07:44 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times
OP I've been where you are and can relate to how you may feel it's pointless to go on like this. But maybe consider the following:

1) You need to focus on things you can control.
2) Remember that there are literally MILLIONS in your same exact situation socioeconomically and you are not alone in this line of thinking
3) Take this time to reflect on small things you can adjust to:

A) Block out unproductive noise
B) Improve your odds of success
C) Nourish your well being - This starts physically. Not mentally.

4) Mental health as I mentioned above starts with physical well being. During these trying times you need to ensure every aspect of your diet that you can control that you do so within reason. Many people believe that they are following the recommended guidelines but then I habitually and without fail discover seemingly innocuous things like diet soda, white refined bread and Doritos. The problem is there are some such as myself that are more sensitive to additives, preservatives and unnatural synthetic unnecessary ingredients. That one bag of Doritos (or whatever the small vice is in your case) can be the difference between feeling great and feeling like crap.

Before you have decided that everything is going to end, consider the fact that there are 1,001 roads and you have only likely explored 10 at most by your age. And I am not much older than you saying this. There are still things you can try. I cannot guarantee they will work, but you can't definitively come to a false conclusion without having explored every facet and option available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology