Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 08:11 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikkipep View Post
I'm 28 and I suffered from severe anxiety and depressive episodes throughout my teens and early 20s. I did 2 years of therapy and I have been stable for about 4 years now.

However, due to this coronavirus crisis, the suicidal thoughts have come back in full force. I think it's just because I'm perfectly aware of the true economic impact all this will have.

My generation can't really get a break. I started my career in the ruins of the 2008 crisis with a much lower wage than one of my equals would have had 10/20 years before. Now the 2020s will be another lost decade - massive unemployment, bankruptcies, etc. I had so many projects for my career and in a second it all goes bust. No more big opportunities, no more hiring, no more business opportunities.

So my mind will drift to these thoughts. It just comes to a point where it's better to thrown in the towel. I don't think I want to be around to witness social unrest and the collapse of civilization.
OP, you're catastrophizing. You've already written off the 2020's, and we're only 3 months in. Probably your therapist pointed out this or a similar tendency in your thinking, that contributes to your depressive, suicidal thoughts. We CAN control our thoughts. Did s/he teach you any techniques, for breaking out of these mental habits? Think back, and implement whatever coping skills the therapist taught you.

That said, I must say, trying to follow and understand what's going on is starting to feel a bit depressive, I must admit. When I feel that, I turn my attention to other things. I get a good book on a topic I enjoy, or switch to a different sub-forum here, that's crisis-free, lol, or put my energy into one of the projects on my to-do list. Do you have any friends you can contact, to talk about more upbeat topics, OP, as a distraction from your troubling thoughts?

Make a conscious decision not to give in to these thoughts, and take control. You have choices of where to put your attention and energy. Make healthy choices. Reach out to people, if you have trusted friends or family members. Call a hotline, if you have no alternative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
It has reached a point where it's not worth the effort any longer. I'd rather be dead than having to go through the biggest economic depression in history.
This is YOUR MIND telling you it will be a big catastrophic depression. Your mind is doing this to itself. You don't know how this will turn out long-term. About a week ago, the stock market plunged, but a couple of days later, it roared back on the news that national health authorities and state governors were taking action. You don't know how soon things will bounce back to normal, after this flu runs its course. You're making up a story in your head, that most likely won't be true; it won't play out the way you think. You're having distorted thinking.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy can help resolve negative mental habits of this kind. I don't know what kind of therapist you had, but you might consider some CBT at this point.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 03-16-2020 at 08:42 PM..

Old 03-16-2020, 08:25 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,058,782 times
Quote:
I'm 28 and I suffered from severe anxiety and depressive episodes throughout my teens and early 20s. I did 2 years of therapy and I have been stable for about 4 years now.

However, due to this coronavirus crisis, the suicidal thoughts have come back in full force. I think it's just because I'm perfectly aware of the true economic impact all this will have.

My generation can't really get a break. I started my career in the ruins of the 2008 crisis with a much lower wage than one of my equals would have had 10/20 years before. Now the 2020s will be another lost decade - massive unemployment, bankruptcies, etc. I had so many projects for my career and in a second it all goes bust. No more big opportunities, no more hiring, no more business opportunities.

So my mind will drift to these thoughts. It just comes to a point where it's better to thrown in the towel. I don't think I want to be around to witness social unrest and the collapse of civilization.

I personally am not suicidal, but I share the same concerns. Today I am starting to think I am going to starve to death because of this crisis. I cannot shake that thought. I am trying to stay strong, but it is very hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is YOUR MIND telling you it will be a big catastrophic depression. Your mind is doing this to itself. You don't know how this will turn out long-term. About a week ago, the stock market plunged, but a couple of days back, it roared back on the news that national health authorities and state governors were taking action. You don't know how soon things will bounce back to normal, after this flu runs its course. You're making up a story in your head, that most likely won't be true; it won't play out the way you think. You're having distorted thinking.

Cognitive Behavioral Therapy can help resolve negative mental habits of this kind. I don't know what kind of therapist you had, but you might consider some CBT at this point.

Those roaring back days are actually a really bad sign. Huge up days only occur with high volatility. The VIX hit all time highs today, again, very bad. Small up and down days with an upward trend is a healthy market. This market is sick.

Old 03-16-2020, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
I
Those roaring back days are actually a really bad sign. Huge up days only occur with high volatility. The VIX hit all time highs today, again, very bad. Small up and down days with an upward trend is a healthy market. This market is sick.
It's reacting to an intense situation. But at least it's having some up days, to balance out the plunge. There may be some kind of recession or depression, but I doubt that it will trash an entire decade, as the OP is telling himself it will.

The OP needs to seek help for his current mental state. He's not able to handle it on his own. That's what professional help is for. Everyone gets overwhelmed at some point in life, OP. There's nothing wrong with going to the doctor, when you're not feeling well, ya know?

Old 03-16-2020, 09:31 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,058,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's reacting to an intense situation. But at least it's having some up days, to balance out the plunge. There may be some kind of recession or depression, but I doubt that it will trash an entire decade, as the OP is telling himself it will.

The OP needs to seek help for his current mental state. He's not able to handle it on his own. That's what professional help is for. Everyone gets overwhelmed at some point in life, OP. There's nothing wrong with going to the doctor, when you're not feeling well, ya know?

A psychologist could help, but I would highly recommend he stay away from a psychiatrist as all they know how to do is prescribe dangerous drugs that will make it worse.

Old 03-16-2020, 10:05 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
I think it is actually a good idea to talk to a therapist or counselor. The internet is not always a "safe place" to talk about things like this. If you can't afford it, find a place that offers free or sliding scale fees.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:07 AM

7,928 posts, read 9,152,376 times
OP you are working from home which means you are still employed so you are doing far better than a lot of us who have lost their jobs from the virus. Now is not the time to look too far to the future. Focus on getting by each day and look at something positive that happened each day even if it only is you had a roof over your head, you were fed, you got a day's pay etc.

Old 03-17-2020, 07:20 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,205,098 times
Quote:
I also dislike working from home. I feel useless and restless most of the time.

Reading, watching war documentaries, making vacation plans (yeah, such a great idea right now).

Working from home is a challenge. We have been talking about it here. My boss at least recognizes that we will not be able to work 8 hours a day/40 hours a week from home. The nature of our business just won't support that. But - we know that we will have jobs after all this. That is a comfort.

Re-read a favorite book, or download some new ones. Binge watch your favorite movies again. And yes, go ahead and make some vacation plans. Or gather photos and souvenirs from past trips and relive the vacations you have taken in the past. You can "vacation" online some. (see http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/l...Pou?ocid=ientp )

Do the things you enjoy, even if you have to force it a little. It will help the time pass...

Last edited by lunetunelover; 03-17-2020 at 07:41 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 03-17-2020, 08:47 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times
Quote:
This is a common sentiment among Millennials, especially the first half of Millennials born in the 1980s. The early to mid 1980s birth Millennials were graduating into the 2008 recession. The early stages of their careers were derailed and many of them spent a good portion of the 2010s in catch up mode. With 2020 layoffs and stock market losses, they will be back to where they were in 2008.

No group of people in U.S. history have had it worse than the roughly 1982-1988 birth years.

I wouldn't recommend suicide as a solution, but the negative sentiment is logical and justifiable.

Old 03-17-2020, 09:28 AM

1,159 posts, read 620,098 times
Quote:
It has reached a point where it's not worth the effort any longer. I'd rather be dead than having to go through the biggest economic depression in history.
Oh stop. c'mon stop with the self pitty. This too shall pass. Everyone has dark thoughts from time to time.
Look, Take a deep breath ... As long as people follow directions this virus will pass. Don't use it as an excuse- there will be another virus in another 10 years. There have been others and we got through it.
Call the number if you want someone to rant to. Call your therapist, a friend, whomever.
This won't be the biggest depression. Things will bounce back. Look at how all the young people don't care about social distancing and all that. As soon as the fog clears, people will be back out and business will come back.
I understand the feeling of thinking everything bad happens to you and you can't catch a break.
Yes a lot of jobs are in a hiring freeze now because of the virus but that will pass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology