Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would it be unethical for a healthy, moderately athletic 63 year old to utilize special operating ho
Yes, disgusting and unethical 2 3.51%
It depends on why shopping early but generally wrong 5 8.77%
Perfectly alright to use early hours 44 77.19%
Other Views (please post why) 6 10.53%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 08:07 PM

5,710 posts, read 4,284,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
I think it'd be one thing if supplies were currently limited, but given that supply chains are fine and there are only a few particular items selling out, I don't see a moral problem with you using the extended hours as allowed to do general shopping. You're not really preventing anyone else from getting what they need by doing so.

Supply lines are fine but shelve supply isn't. I don't know where you live, but where I am there is frequent lack of availability (not true shortages, because there is plenty to go around...the hoarders just have most of it) of eggs, flour, canned foods, oatmeal, bread, fresh and deli meats....(except bacon..go figure)

so with that in mind, I'm going to revise my earlier answer. If I can't get something I need because of all the hoarding hoarders, I will use the senior hours. I don't anticipate needing to do that yet, but I will under those circumstances. But I still don't find fault with anyone else who chooses to do so at any time if they qualify
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 08:41 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
so with that in mind, I'm going to revise my earlier answer. If I can't get something I need because of all the hoarding hoarders, I will use the senior hours. I don't anticipate needing to do that yet, but I will under those circumstances. But I still don't find fault with anyone else who chooses to do so at any time if they qualify
Other alternative is to wait at the tail end of the "senior" hours and either be first in the "regular" hours or see if whoever is watching the door just waves you in.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Other alternative is to wait at the tail end of the "senior" hours and either be first in the "regular" hours or see if whoever is watching the door just waves you in.

Well it will pretty much have to be at the end of senior hours because the brain trust making these hours has decided that seniors really want to come early in the morning. I'm not even awake early in the morning, so I'll have to be pretty desperate to come during those hours at all

Old 03-24-2020, 09:15 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Well it will pretty much have to be at the end of senior hours because the brain trust making these hours has decided that seniors really want to come early in the morning. I'm not even awake early in the morning, so I'll have to be pretty desperate to come during those hours at all
IMHO, it is not because all seniors are awake earlier but because the store is cleaner and less germ filled in the morning (immediately after the overnight deep cleaning). That is the same reason why I always schedule surgeries or invasive procedure for the early morning (first appointment of the day). Not only is the surgeon or doctor fresher with the first surgery of the day but IMHO the operating room is safer.

Old 03-24-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Actually my waking hours suddenly flipped in August 2018 from being a "night owl" to being an "early bird"; and it was pretty much instantaneous. I turned 61 in April 2018.

Old 03-24-2020, 11:24 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Actually my waking hours suddenly flipped in August 2018 from being a "night owl" to being an "early bird"; and it was pretty much instantaneous. I turned 61 in April 2018.
You can have my spot. I'm not going to get up early to shop. You're listening to a 24 year old?

Old 03-25-2020, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You can have my spot. I'm not going to get up early to shop. You're listening to a 24 year old?
We as a family discuss everything. Trust me we discuss. I don't take orders real well.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:35 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,070,314 times
I don't see the problem. It says "over 60". If said "over 65" then yes, it would be wrong.

Don't make the assumption that 63 is less risky than 65 or 70. I just heard on TV yesterday that data from Italy shows mortality to be highest in the OVER 50 age group. I read online in a couple of places that high risk group is "over 60" OR having underlying conditions (note it's not "AND", it's "OR"). Amy K's husband (53) is in the hospital and on oxygen. Also, you may not be aware of all of your health issues despite being physically fit. And physical fitness isn't necessarily evidence of health. You could be running marathons and be on the verge of a stroke and not know it. I know multiple examples of people in their 60's who were physically fit and dropped like a lead stone due to heart attacks, some made it and some didn't. I also know of many examples of "physically fit" people in their 60's who suddenly learned they have cancer.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
IMHO, it is not because all seniors are awake earlier but because the store is cleaner and less germ filled in the morning (immediately after the overnight deep cleaning).
I hadn't heard that, but one of my locals stores said publicly that "most of our seniors come early in the morning". Obviously they weren't counting me, who has never been anywhere early in the morning unless I was getting paid.

Quote:

That is the same reason why I always schedule surgeries or invasive procedure for the early morning (first appointment of the day). Not only is the surgeon or doctor fresher with the first surgery of the day but IMHO the operating room is safer.

Well at least you have a system that makes you feel better. I want my doctor to have a couple practice surgeries under his belt before he cuts on me. I'll gladly surrender the #1 spot to you.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:58 AM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
I hadn't heard that, but one of my locals stores said publicly that "most of our seniors come early in the morning". Obviously they weren't counting me, who has never been anywhere early in the morning unless I was getting paid.

Well at least you have a system that makes you feel better. I want my doctor to have a couple practice surgeries under his belt before he cuts on me. I'll gladly surrender the #1 spot to you.
There's only one 4 and 5 o'clock in my day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology