Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2020, 10:34 AM

793 posts, read 331,753 times

Advertisements

I'm feeling very isolated, which has been common for me since living where I do. BUT now it is 10x worse. I get to work from home, which is great except my boss is a pain and thinks I'm not as productive (I'm actually more productive). So its mixed for me. I love the flexibility and coming and going as I please (though not going many places), but I don't like being so isolated and not seeing anyone for weeks on end. Its been harder than I expected, and we still have 4 more weeks of this. My parents are deceased so I don't have to worry about them getting this, but I do know someone who died last week. Its pretty sad whats happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2020, 10:41 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,887 times
I find being at home very peaceful and only sometimes bored.

I only get stressed out when I'm at the grocery store and I'm afraid that I'll get sick afterwards. I'm starting to get stressed out about Spouse's company. We're part of the supply chain but in home decorating and since retail stores are closed, our customers no need to ship anything, but we're still open and still have to pay employees as we have some business, but less.

Old 03-30-2020, 11:50 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
I haven't yet read through this thread, but I will, but wanted to go ahead & post. The best things we can ALL do (especially) now are:

make our homes/apts an "oasis" as relaxing as possible from the outside world: I have a diffuser w/ quite a few essential oils now & lately, I've been diffusing a pleasant-smelling immunity blend of lemon, rosemary, eucalyptus, & frankincense

listen to music

mediate or start doing it: This is beneficial for health & a great relaxation method

take strolls outside in spaced-out areas while breathing in deeply (which we can still do these days)

go for drives & at least see the scenery while staying in your car - I was thinking of driving an hour to the beachy areas just to see different scenery, but I won't get out of the car & potentially expose myself to germs. We've got all the time in the world now to go driving where we've always wanted to explore & the traffic will be good these days!

treat yourself to some takeout food sometimes if you still want to...I've stopped after a few times because you never know what employees in these places will test positive next

take up solitary/indoor hobbies: Art, meditation, research about health, cooking new meals, home decor, learn a language, learn how to play an instrument, get in better shape, learn about travel so when we can travel again you know where to go, do artwork, learn to knit/crochet, join other discussion boards you haven't done yet, etc.

are you religious at all & believe in God? I know this helps too. I was raised to go to church & I believe in God & I pray. He's the only power who can get us through all this & give world healing.

do you love dogs? Seriously think about getting a dog to help you through these times...but of course, don't get rid of him when things are back to normal again. They truly enhance life too. I know, I had a dog I loved & spoiled.

learn how to enjoy the simple things in life. I don't think most people can really do that, but this coronavirus time of staying indoors as much as possible will really show people if they can do it or not, that's for sure! There are TONS to do at home. I can stay at home & never really be bored & can't recall a time in the past when I have been. Give me some good food & TV/movie DVDs I'll be as happy as a clam! Plus, I can be on the computer all day looking at interesting informative things. I have an Xbox 360 I haven't' played on in ages. I have plenty of books & magazines.

I sometimes wonder why more people can't or don't enjoy simple things. Is it because they're such party animals &/or always had people around them &/or are always going somewhere & never at their homes that anything else is too boring??

Old 03-30-2020, 02:34 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I sometimes wonder why more people can't or don't enjoy simple things. Is it because they're such party animals &/or always had people around them &/or are always going somewhere & never at their homes that anything else is too boring??
I think part of it is they're hyper-extroverted. Not trying to be disparaging to people with that personality because there are strengths and weaknesses of different personalities, but I think this is a weakness (having the constant need to be "entertained").

As far as my general strategies that the OP is asking about:

1. As the very first poster mentioned, stay away from over-saturation of this issue from the media, particularly television media. Local news dumbs it down (how many times in an hour do people have to be reminded to wash their hands), and national media chases the scariest worst situation of the moment. I can't emphasize enough that no matter their claims, these folks do not really work in the best interest of our mental well-being, and are often acting contrary to it. They are there to grab the masses' attention so they can sell advertising and make money. Consume media and information that is light hearted.

2. Realize that this is a blip in history that we can learn from and share with future generations. The same applied to the Cold War, Y2K, and other situations.

3. Keep in perspective that most of us are only having a tangential experience with this. We may be inconvenienced or bored but we're not having to deal with this nor other traumatic situations (like being in war, etc.).

4. Just appreciate that this slows down the world, which needs to happen sometimes, even though the side effects in this case are much worse than what anyone would want.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:00 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
https://hbr.org/2020/03/that-discomf...eling-is-grief

I wanted to share this excellent article. No paywall.

It helps to name our uncomfortable feelings. We know that things will never be as before. We know the hazards of life as before. We grieve our losses.
Thanks silibran. It helps to put a name to these feelings and know that we're not alone in our grief or discomfort.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:24 PM

44,355 posts, read 20,059,784 times
Twelve days ago, when this thread was started, I was not stressed. In the past several days, though, I've felt stressed from time to time. Yesterday I felt worse; I'd been O.D.'ing on news and was feeling overwhelmed. I'd talked to my next-door neighbor, who works in the front line at two hospitals, dealing with COVID-19 patients every day now. She helps with triage and she CT-scans lungs. She's been wearing the same mask for over a week now, and they're supposed to be one-use masks. She's 28 years old and is handling the situation very well, all things considered. But I worry about her and her husband. I worry about my boyfriend, who is still working full-time because he is in an essential business. I worry about my 95-year-old aunt, who is in good health but is confined to her apartment in a senior living center. I miss my sister - whom I normally see at least twice a week - terribly. She's like my other half and I need a sister fix desperately. Finally, cleaning up after trolls on City-Data brings me down.

When I think of all these things AND keep watching the news, the press updates, and talk about it with friends, I get close to breaking down in sobs. So to combat that, today I distanced myself from the news and only spoke about COVID once, with my aunt, since she brought it up during our phone conversation. Checking updates from the Indiana governor's office a few times today provided me with the latest must-know information. Otherwise, I didn't watch the news at all today, and it helped my mental state a lot. Yay! I feel much better.

I've been walking outdoors at least once every day (not near anyone else) and have been thanking God for the early-spring flowers I see along the way as well as for the free symphony provide by songbirds. Those things lift my spirits. I have much to be thankful for, and am concentrating on that. Sometimes I'm finding it hard not to let fear take over, but so far I'm doing alright.

Oh, and I must say that I'm actually enjoying not having any responsibilities for a while. No meetings (except for a couple online), no obligations, no schedules. I'm comfortable being at home alone and I never feel bored.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:54 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
^^^ I'll never be bored as long as I have something to read.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:26 PM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I've changed my mind after talking to some family members and after watching this video.

I'm still very concerned about this legitimate crisis being used as a precedent in the future to curtail civil liberties. But I do believe the virus is a legitimate threat. See video:
{snipped as it wasn't needed for my comment}
I watched the video, mysticaltyger. I don't know whether he's right but if he is, it's pretty scare to think of it happening that way. I'd like to know what you think. Do you think this guy is correct and it's going to get as bad as he says? You're always a very logical thinking person which is why I ask. I'd sincerely like to know your thoughts.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:27 PM

3,671 posts, read 3,556,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
Up until today when I found out my coworkers are dying around me, I wasn't too bad. I am forced to come to work because I support a high-level government installation and a couple other critical infrastructures, and I cannot stay home. Until today I was fairly calm.

It really starts to hit home when you start knowing the people that are dying. it also bothers you when you are out on the roads and they are empty but you are still out there. The people I work for tell us so we will get you face masks, hand sanitizer, and rubber gloves when this stuff all started. We have yet to see any of it because it is all on backorder. Thankfully I have been able to find surgical gloves and hand sanitizer from a private source.

I have chronic asthma and bronchitis and I'm pushing 60 years old, so I am a prime target to die if I get this crap. So I am taking the precautions I can and being as careful as possible. Hopefully those of you reading this will survive this with me. But there is a good chance that not all of us will.
I am so sorry you are going through this Bearsdad. If your Lowes or Home Depots are still open up there, do they have any of the 3M performance respirator masks? I know they are not meant to stop a virus, but they could help you with the thought of having nothing at all over your mouth and nose. (they are for construction use)
Anyway, l hope you pull through this. I also agree I've thought that some of the people whose posts I enjoy reading here may soon disappear. It can be overwhelming.

Last edited by TerraDown; 03-30-2020 at 10:09 PM..

Old 03-31-2020, 05:39 AM

24,541 posts, read 10,859,092 times
How about some positive thoughts? Two sofa tigers got me out of bed at 5:30 this morning because they thought they were in eminent danger of starvation. Of course one turned her whiskers up and stalked off when I served Her Preciousness. So I waddled back to bed with a pot of coffee and two cups and continued my servitude. This time it was a success. Something furry quit his night time job at the saw mill, did the bunny nose wrinkle and accepted my offering of hazel nut coffee at an ungodly hour. Nothing like coffee in bed with two no with three furries. Today will bring a lot of misery at work but I will have had a ray of sunshine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology