Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2020, 05:46 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkingLiberty1919D View Post
I
While I am stressed about the health implications of this virus, it's mainly older relatives that I worry about. My own mom who ticks off several boxes in the "high risk" group: age, diabetes, heart issues, seems nonchalant about things and keeps going out and even went to church this past weekend. I am so glad they closed the churches so she can't go anymore. She's been out every day this week and is going to the market tomorrow.
r.
In some ways I am relieved that my mom passed already several years ago. I would be worried sick about her right now.

I am worried most about my children's future if our society collapses. And I know that the "super rich" will still be rich, and all the rest of us will be very poor or homeless.

I feel the sorriest for the elderly because they will suffer the most. In Italy, they are letting people over 80 die because they don't have enough ventilators or hospital beds for everyone.

I do NOT feel sorry for younger people who whine about not having toilet paper when they could simply use cloth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2020, 05:50 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
I take breaks from the news and C-D and watch funny videos (Charlie Berens and How To Dad are my favorites) supplemented by kitten and puppy videos. Silly, but finding things to laugh about helps.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:22 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,293,790 times
I'm mostly mildly inconvenienced at this point.

I like to go to bars and restaurants. I think there is one brewery and one restaurant/bar still open in town. Most are offering takeout or delivery.

There's nowhere to go and nothing to do in public. It's been rainy for weeks here, but it was in the 70s with sunshine this evening. I went for a walk and threw some disc golf. That helped.

Old 03-19-2020, 08:42 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,954,250 times
I'm more concerned about the threat to our civil liberties than deaths from the virus. More people die from car accidents every day than do from this virus. Yet do they close down the roads because of it?

Last edited by mysticaltyger; 03-19-2020 at 09:28 PM..

Old 03-19-2020, 09:02 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,248,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I'm more concerned about the threat to our civil liberties than deaths from the virus. More people die from car accidents every day than do from this virus. Yet do they close down the roads because of it?
+1.

Amen.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:04 PM

4,640 posts, read 11,936,007 times
Quote:
Yup.

Old 03-19-2020, 09:15 PM

1,579 posts, read 949,600 times
Quote:
As I mentioned, I’m not afraid of dying from the virus (although I am concerned about older relatives). My stress is that I may end up losing my job and if the economy goes south it may be hard to get another one. I have a few months of emergency money, but it won’t last forever and I have a family to support. Maybe I was too focused on that to see where any of my civil liberties are being taken away. But if that’s the case for you (we all have different stressors with this pandemic), what are you doing to deal with that stress?

Last edited by WalkingLiberty1919D; 03-19-2020 at 09:30 PM..

Old 03-19-2020, 10:38 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Not to be flippant, but as an ambivert that tilts to introvert, I've really been training for this my whole life. At no other time in our history would this be so easy for me to ride out. I have a kindle loaded up with reading material, a laptop I can work on anywhere in my house, a well-stocked fridge and a work-from home job. Delivery and streaming services have really made this possible for me. I don't have many elderly relatives left, but the ones I do have are in facilities that are taking solid precautions. I AM worried about friends with compromised immune systems, but they all have good heads on their shoulders and I am happy to help them by dropping off stuff and running errands for them.

My groups are meeting online and I've been keeping in close contact with friends and family via social media and texts and calls.

I plan to spend my nonworking hours training my dogs (had our first session today, where I taught them the "left" and "right" commands), writing my short fiction, reading, cleaning, exercising and watching good shows and movies. I've also been cooking up a storm. Today it was a brisket. Tomorrow I'm doing a quiche and lentil soup. I have a tendency toward depression and anxiety, so I really need to maintain a balance between relaxation and productivity.

What it has alerted me to is the fact that our country has to make some major social changes. We need things like universal healthcare and better safety nets for situations like this. We are facing a disastrous recession right now. I'll be fine in all likelihood, but I"m seeing the financial hardships of this situation really flatten some people I know. I have already resolved to pass any checks sent by the government along to family and friends who are struggling. I'm also giving pretty decent tips to whoever delivers stuff to my house - I consider it "danger pay." It was chilling to me in a way, when the woman who brought me my instacart delivery just kept saying "Thank you" over and over again - I gave her a 20% tip, which was no big thing to me, but was clearly a big deal to her.

So basically, none of my anxiety is for myself. I'm having a blast in my new normal, but I am very worried about a large chunk of the population.

Old 03-19-2020, 11:15 PM

22,845 posts, read 6,437,040 times
We are the risky group elderly..I'm 73 with HBP, taking meds...my husband is 72, has COPD, is on oxygen and can barely walk, even with a walker. He had polio as a kid so his lungs are damaged. I am worried for myself being a caregiver but more for him. Our kids are in their 40's, our grandchildren are in their late teens. They don't live nearby. Hopefully they can recover if they get it but I'm not sure about us.

Old 03-20-2020, 07:43 AM

1,579 posts, read 949,600 times
I heard on the radio news this morning that stress over the pandemic now exceeds stress over money (which is normally the #1 stressors in the United States). I don't know how they know that or who they asked, but I would say it's on people's minds.

A few people have pointed out they aren't stressed and I am happy for them. The point of this thread is to share ideas to combat the stress if you have it. If you aren't stressed, please share what helps you not to be stressed at all.

But keep in mind, as has been pointed out, people are stressed out about this for different reasons. Some are stressed about their own health, some are stressed for the health of others, some are stressed for the impact it has on their kids, some are stressed because they are cooped up, some are stressed about losing their jobs, some are stressed about losing freedoms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology