Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 07:47 PM

1,018 posts, read 510,901 times

Advertisements

I was recently chatting with a girl on a dating website, and I gave her my number and everything. Today, I got a phone call from a person claiming to be a private investigator and that she was traumatized and underage and that she broke her parent's iPad and if I didn't pay $1300 for the iPad I was going to have charges pressed on me.

Is this a scam?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2020, 08:08 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Of course it is. What part of that story sounds even remotely logical to you?

Old 04-04-2020, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Of course it is. What part of that story sounds even remotely logical to you?
Okay. And he tried to get me to send money to her dad via PayPal but I wasn't sure. I never sent the money, just wanted to make sure it was a scam.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:34 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Yes. Yikes.

Block any of the numbers associated with "her."

Old 04-05-2020, 06:01 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Do you have to actually check her I'd to know if this is a scam?

Old 04-05-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Do you have to actually check her I'd to know if this is a scam?
Too many red flags were rose.

For one, what private Investigator would call someone a few days later saying the parents hired them. Why wouldn't the parents go to police?

Second, He called me from a South Carolina number at first, and I did not answer. Then, he called from an area code in my area so I answered.

Third, the way he was describing it was weird. That she broke her mom's iPad that her mom uses for work that totalled to $1300?

Fourth, trying to extort money to cover up a crime is illegal.

Fifth, he refused to meet face to face so I can hand over the money. Instead, he wanted me to use Walmart To Walmart, PayPal, or Cash App to pay the girls "Father." And, the account itself was weird.

Sixth, why would you read charges to me that I'd be charged with even though the police had no idea this was going on?

Seventh, they lied about their age on their profile. That's illegal right there.

The whole thing reeked of fishiness to me. I got another call shortly after from a guy claiming to be another girl's father that his daughter is too underage and was in the hospital as she almost killed herself and I was going to jail, etc.

I blocked the numbers and did not send the money. If I get called again, I'm going to the police.

Last edited by Boss1234; 04-05-2020 at 10:08 AM..

Old 04-05-2020, 09:58 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
You also should report the profile to the dating site.

Old 04-05-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
You also should report the profile to the dating site.
It got deleted, how convenient.

Old 04-05-2020, 10:42 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,425,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss1234 View Post
Too many red flags were rose.

For one, what private Investigator would call someone a few days later saying the parents hired them. Why wouldn't the parents go to police?

Second, He called me from a South Carolina number at first, and I did not answer. Then, he called from an area code in my area so I answered.

Third, the way he was describing it was weird. That she broke her mom's iPad that her mom uses for work that totalled to $1300?

Fourth, trying to extort money to cover up a crime is illegal.

Fifth, he refused to meet face to face so I can hand over the money. Instead, he wanted me to use Walmart To Walmart, PayPal, or Cash App to pay the girls "Father." And, the account itself was weird.

Sixth, why would you read charges to me that I'd be charged with even though the police had no idea this was going on?

Seventh, they lied about their age on their profile. That's illegal right there.

The whole thing reeked of fishiness to me. I got another call shortly after from a guy claiming to be another girl's father that his daughter is too underage and was in the hospital as she almost killed herself and I was going to jail, etc.

I blocked the numbers and did not send the money. If I get called again, I'm going to the police.

Of course it was a scam. There was no girl, it was a scam to begin with to get some stupid guy to be scared and pay. All scammers use Walmart Paypal or a Cash app. Talking with the girl over the internet, giving her your phone number does not constitute a crime. What constitutes a crime is if you sent dirty pictures or tried to meet her. If they call again and they just may, immediately tell them you have contacted the police and reported an attempt at blackmail and scamming. They won't call again. Stop talking to girls on the internet, you are putting yourself out there to be scammed at best or to be taken in on a underage girl sting by law enforcement.

ETA: I see you are on a dating website. Try and keep to women in your area. Chat via facetime or some other video chat before giving your phone number. Ask questions that someone couldn't easily answer by searching the web but someone who lived in the area would really know.

Old 04-05-2020, 10:50 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
It seems weird that this happened to you twice. I suggest that if the girls seem to good to be true, i.e. you're 35 and average looking, and beautiful 19 year old girls want to date you online, chances are it's a scam. Stick with women who appear to be your age range and not too far "out of your league". Every time I see those commercials for online dating, and all the girls look like models, I think, how naive can people be if they think those girls need to do online dating to meet someone?

It also reminds of of the Adam Sandler movie Punch Drunk Love. Except his scam started with a phone sex line and ended with real-life violence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z87DbDeaoxA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE2FCCZ50VU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology