Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2020, 08:51 PM

6,480 posts, read 6,137,314 times

Advertisements

I have a lot of odd memories, many involving cars - I'm a life-long car enthusiast.

One of my earliest memories is of an airbag coming out of a CD slot from a car radio and inflating into the rectangular shape of a radio on TV. I remember thinking that the CD inside there would get crushed. This would have been about 1995, I would have been 2 years old. I was sitting on the floor with my back against a couch at my mom's parents' house.

I remember my mom getting a CD player put into her 1984 Lincoln Town Car. She got that Town Car in late 1996, a couple months before my 4th birthday.

Another early memory was looking down at the floor and my mom saying "D-P" as we walked over an exercise mat, the brand was DP. This was at a townhouse we lived in from 1994-1996, this was probably 1996 when I was 3.

When I was 5, in 1998, I saw a Volvo commercial where they said "4 airbags". I was terrified of airbags as a little kid, and I knew that 2 airbags meant that the front seats got airbags, so I thought 4 meant that there were airbags coming out from the backs of the front seats toward the back seat passengers and that no seat was safe. A fear of Volvos followed that lasted until the beginning of 2004; my fear of airbags ended around the same time. Today, Volvo is probably in my top 5 favorite car companies and I'm a big fan of airbags especially after they saved my mom's life on April 22, 2013 (about a decade after my airbag fear ended, and it was in a 2008 Honda Accord). Ironically, my cousin, who is 3 1/2 years younger than me, got a 1998 Volvo S90 as his first car.

A dream I had aged 5, on April 13, 1998 where I was in the back middle seat of a car during a crash test as the airbags went off in the front seats. It was in slow motion, like the slow motion films of crash tests. I'm still not sure how I remember the exact date of that dream after 22 years.

I suspect the cause of a lot of my airbag related memories, and fear of airbags, as that I was a little kid right when airbag deaths and serious injuries were peaking, and most of these deaths and serious injuries were happening to infants and small children. Ever since my fear came to an end around 2003/2004, I've always had an unnaturally strong interest in airbags and have extensively researched them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2020, 09:09 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,998,404 times
One of my oldest memories is from when was three or so. My parents took both us girls to an amusement park. I remember nothing about the park or the rides. But we saw a cartoon while we were there that scared me half to death. The cartoon had a sequence where a car was tied to an outside faucet, and it drove off, pulling the house down. For some reason seeing that was terrifying.

Decades later, my kids are watching old cartoons on TV and that same old cartoon is shown. I recognized it. Not scared that time but shocked at how primitive the cartoon was.

I think the cartoon character in that old cartoon was a panda bear.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:15 AM

10,847 posts, read 7,253,106 times
When I was three, my dad painted the deck dark green, and the paint bubbled. I remember picking at the bubbles.

My dad got a Karmann Ghia when I was about seven, and the whole family, including six kids, went to the dealership to pick it up (mom had to drive the old car home, and they didn't want to have to pay a babysitter). Dad mostly paid cash, but financed $600 of that car. He hated to do that, he always told us we should never finance anything but a house.
I desperately wanted to get to ride home in the new car, and was pretty sure my older siblings would get the privilege. But I got the ride!

That Christmas, my two oldest brothers gave my dad these newfangled devices, seatbelts, for the car.

I remember a couple of teacher's names, but sometimes dream I've forgotten my locker combination. Well, I have, but in the dream I need to know it.

Old 04-11-2020, 07:02 AM

4,082 posts, read 2,974,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
When I was three, my dad painted the deck dark green, and the paint bubbled. I remember picking at the bubbles.

My dad got a Karmann Ghia when I was about seven, and the whole family, including six kids, went to the dealership to pick it up (mom had to drive the old car home, and they didn't want to have to pay a babysitter). Dad mostly paid cash, but financed $600 of that car. He hated to do that, he always told us we should never finance anything but a house.
I desperately wanted to get to ride home in the new car, and was pretty sure my older siblings would get the privilege. But I got the ride!

That Christmas, my two oldest brothers gave my dad these newfangled devices, seatbelts, for the car.

I remember a couple of teacher's names, but sometimes dream I've forgotten my locker combination. Well, I have, but in the dream I need to know it.
I used to have these dreams where I could not remember my locker combination, or my mailbox combination. Then one day, I came upon an old combination lock I had, and opened it on the first try. That seemed to have put an end to those dreams.

Old 04-11-2020, 10:42 AM

10,847 posts, read 7,253,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I used to have these dreams where I could not remember my locker combination, or my mailbox combination. Then one day, I came upon an old combination lock I had, and opened it on the first try. That seemed to have put an end to those dreams.
It's a common anxiety dream, like realizing you're naked in public. I assume nudists don't have that dream. Or at least don't react to it the same way.

Old 04-11-2020, 11:57 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,520,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Not sure if this is the right section to put this in but it looks close to the right topic.

Does anybody have some really strange, bizarre or otherwise outlandish things you can somehow remember?

I have no idea why or how I can remember this, but even at the age of 55 I can still remember my 7th grade (Jr High) hallway locker combination: 24-12-28. I am absolutely certain that is it. Have never forgotten it.

Even more bizarre, that same year I can still remember my first Jr. high school gym locker combination: 30-0-26. What's particularly bizarre about that is, I only had that particular lock for a month or two before my locker got broken into, and they changed my lock. I don't remember the combination of the new lock I got ... though I have a feeling if I could go back into a time machine and find out what it was, I'd say to myself, "Oh yeah, now I remember."

Those two were the first two locks I ever had in Jr/Sr High School, so maybe that has something to do with it, but I've no idea why I would particularly remember locker combinations.
I don't remember anything that wasn't memorable. LOL. But seriously, I remember what I thought for years as an adult a "memory" from when I was younger than 5. It was a supernatural thing that I saw, and my older sister was with me. We both saw it. Or so I thought. I thought it was a shared memory, and thought I remembered us even discussing it as adults. But when I mentioned it to her at some point when we were adults, she had no memory of it. So it must have been a vivid dream that I remembered.

I remember various clothing I had and various toys I had. I think most people remember those things?

I remember some uneventful things when I was in 1st grade, but remember them nonetheless. Nothing exciting.

I remember when a hurricane was coming, with high winds, we were playing in school yard. I was about 5. All the kids were called in. We were all running through the ferocious winds back to the school, when a small girl near me was blown up into the air. She was suspended for a few seconds, as her feet still ran forward, but she was fully in the air with her feet not touching the ground.

We didn't have locks on lockers until I was in high school, that I recall.

Old 04-11-2020, 12:31 PM

1,517 posts, read 981,116 times
Quote:
I have no idea why or how I can remember this, but even at the age of 55 I can still remember my 7th grade (Jr High) hallway locker combination: 24-12-28. I am absolutely certain that is it. Have never forgotten it.
Cascade Junior High, 1996-1999; unit #199 (shared with two other people), 3-35-45. I think I maybe only used it once or twice before I decided that trying to fight the crowds to get to it (upstairs!) in only a 10-minute recess between classes wasn't worth it.

Quote:
Kindergarten: Mrs Roe (1st half of year). Mrs O'Donnell (2nd half of year)
1st grade: Mrs O'Donnell
2nd grade: Mrs Thomas
3rd grade: Mrs Hooks
4th grade: Mrs Nelson
5th grade: Mr Curtis
6th grade: Mrs Burns
Pre: Mrs van Buren-Baugh (she insisted everybody call her Kerry) & Bernstein (Jan)
K: Mrs Stokes
1: Mrs MacGuffin
2: Mrs Akin
3. Mrs Hampton & Rodgers (day was split between classrooms across the hall from each other)
4: Mr Hamilton
5: Mrs Moyer (not related to the local movie theatre guys)
6: Mr Smith

Incidentally, when I took swimming lessons after I got out of high school Kerry vB-B was my instructor at the same gym she taught it at in preschool clear back when "Thundercats" was at its peak! Being an East German immigrant she was the only teacher I ever had with an accent.

Old 04-11-2020, 03:47 PM

8,822 posts, read 4,488,158 times
Phone number from when I was 5 or 6 - First two digits were given as letters, then 5 numbers. This was early 50s

Old 04-11-2020, 04:36 PM

6,480 posts, read 6,137,314 times
I remember my elementary school teachers too (don't remember if they were Mrs. or Ms. so I'm just using Ms.). Years were 1998-2004.

K: Ms. Jarrett
1: Ms. Jones
2: Ms. Anderson
3: Ms. Deathridge
4: Ms. Stratton
5: Ms. Mangrum

Old 04-11-2020, 05:52 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,796,568 times
I remember going to a carnival when I was young. I asked my mom for money to get a hot dog. She told me to get foot long so we could share it. But it was so good I ate the entire thing myself. Fortunately she never said anything about that. But I still feel bad about not sharing with her, decades later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology