Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 07:17 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,170,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I don’t read mum blogs, so I’ve been spared. However the term kiddo has been around long before mum bloggers were even a blip on the radar. My gran called her son kiddo, never thought much of it other than is was a term of endearment and her nickname for him.

This. I've been hearing the term kiddo since I was a kid and that was 60-odd years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2020, 07:26 PM

13,254 posts, read 8,327,695 times
My son walked up to his endearing grandparent and said : Hey toots! (As in tootsy) and his grandparent was so enamored by that sweet greeting. He did it with that sweet smile. She just melted.
She gloated about that for a long time.
Some terms can be said in such away that it's welcomed. I loved being called kiddo...it was said with concern or a sense of acknowledgement.

Few terms bother me much if said in a tone of delight or charm. We still call my eldest grand daughter.. hello there my pretty little lady. She giggles.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:31 PM

8,873 posts, read 13,835,148 times
I call friends that are younger than me "kiddo" as a term of endearment. Nobody has ever taken offense (that I know of). Hopefully they'd let me know if they did.

Old 04-09-2020, 08:32 PM

6,378 posts, read 3,855,797 times
Don't really care about "kiddos" but it would get annoying when used more than once or twice in the same conversation/article. "Hubby" is annoying. "Wifey" is patronizing. I mean, any of them are fine when used in the right spirit if it's okay between the people involved, but I wouldn't say they're universally-okay and one should know one's audience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Wifey means a specific thing in some circles.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wifey

Hubby has been around forever.

Kiddos bothers me, too, but mostly because a lot of mom bloggers overuse it. I guess they think it sounds more cool and fun than children.
Interesting. I associate "wifey" as a term of condescension, or to refer to a subservient woman, similar to being "the little woman." Possibly used jokingly or tongue-in-cheek, but not really as a positive thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
The main issue I have is the reciprocity and it would be more annoying/inappropriate if there were a power dynamic involved.

Take, for example, a 65 year old CEO, who also happens to be a grandfather, speaking to a 22 year old junior employee who they had never met. If the CEO says, "Hey Kiddo, nice to meet you", is that appropriate? I think the question that comes into play here is, could the 22 year old employee reply back, "Nice to meet you too, Gramps." If the answer is no, then it's really not appropriate for the person with a higher power dynamic to be doing it. I know that kind of thing goes on all the time, but this forum is asking about model behavior, so that's not really model behavior. More about that here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/work...ork-i-can.html

Among family and close friends, I think we can allow more leeway for pet names, as long as there's mutual respect about it.
Well, bosses always get more leeway than underlings anyway, so not a perfect example. Nor is "kiddo" a professionally-appropriate term, so should be avoided for that reason alone.

Old 04-09-2020, 10:37 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,590,574 times
Context makes a world of difference. One of the reasons “the wife” irritates me is because I first heard it in a workplace where, frankly, most employees were entitled-acting and smug old white men. They used that term for their wives frequently, and in a tone that implied they considered their spouses to be more like a possession or lesser being, sort of like talking about “taking the dog for a walk.”

Those conversations definitely smacked of Us Guys vs The Wives. It isn’t the only time I heard the term, but it was the place where I heard it frequently, and inevitably with the same air of patronization.

My own husband has always said “my wife” whenever I heard him referencing me, but not that long ago he ended a comment with “kiddo.” He, too, used to work—for far too long, I think—in that awful workplace and must have had a brain fart to suddenly think it was an appropriate form of address to start using for me, his longtime spouse. I told him in no uncertain terms that if he continued with that air of disrespect, I would summon my much better verbal abilities to start addressing HIM with something insulting that was also “just a term of endearment.” Every time he tries something passive-aggressive, I call it out. Can’t think of a better way to nip that sht in the bud.

There are situations where “kiddo” is indeed a term of endearment. In this context, it felt like kind of a test. Like a dog that intermittently tries to set a pecking order instead of a human partnership.

He (and others) might object that I am “too sensitive,” but it can equally be that he/they are INsensitive to nuances.

Last edited by pikabike; 04-09-2020 at 10:50 PM..

Old 04-09-2020, 10:52 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,590,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Don't really care about "kiddos" but it would get annoying when used more than once or twice in the same conversation/article. "Hubby" is annoying. "Wifey" is patronizing. I mean, any of them are fine when used in the right spirit if it's okay between the people involved, but I wouldn't say they're universally-okay and one should know one's audience.

Interesting. I associate "wifey" as a term of condescension, or to refer to a subservient woman, similar to being "the little woman." Possibly used jokingly or tongue-in-cheek, but not really as a positive thing.

Well, bosses always get more leeway than underlings anyway, so not a perfect example. Nor is "kiddo" a professionally-appropriate term, so should be avoided for that reason alone.
You got that exactly right!

Old 04-10-2020, 12:38 AM

61,049 posts, read 85,858,261 times
Yeah, I would be annoyed. Same as I am annoyed when other people refer to their family and SO's as DH, DW, DS, DD, DDIL, DMIL, etc. Glad they are "dear" to them, but it sounds just sooooooooo tacky.

I guess it's OK when people do that privately AND the others are in agreement, but when people do that in public, it's just

Old 04-10-2020, 06:05 AM

2,911 posts, read 2,011,741 times
Like I said in my OP, it only bugs me when they refer to their kids in the third person as "kiddo/s" ("I have to pick my kiddos up from school", "I am home-schooling my kiddos", "My kiddos are outside playing", etc.), not when they are actually speaking to them as a term of endearment/pet name ("hey kiddo, come here", "how are you doing kiddo?", etc.). I don't why it bugs/annoys me, it just does.

Last edited by Remington Steel; 04-10-2020 at 06:45 AM..

Old 04-10-2020, 06:27 AM

87,960 posts, read 83,789,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
I don’t read mum blogs, so I’ve been spared. However the term kiddo has been around long before mum bloggers were even a blip on the radar. My gran called her son kiddo, never thought much of it other than is was a term of endearment and her nickname for him.
That's different though. She's using it for a pet name, not using it as a substitute term for "children" or "kids".

Old 04-10-2020, 06:28 AM

87,960 posts, read 83,789,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
As a hubby to the wifey, and daddy to the kiddos, I think its funny as hell someone gets annoyed by things like that.
Lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology