Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 11:11 AM

12,777 posts, read 14,992,488 times

Advertisements

My 81-yo mother told me she finally had to tell a man behind her in line at the store to please step back 6 ft and he snapped back at her, "I'm wearing my mask!" while not budging. As she was exiting the store, he coincidentally was leaving too but she was ahead a good distance (thank God) and he coughed really loud as if to say, "F you to my mom".

See how vicious and uncaring some people are? So be careful out there with people who appear uncaring or mad at the world, miserable, etc. because they don't care if you get sick and die.

Anyone hear on the news about that bus driver who made a vent video that some lady was coughing all over on his bus not covering her mouth? A few days later he died, but I'm sure she's still alive coughing on everybody out there!

This all makes me furious!

(I put this topic in this thread because it's about the mentality of people out there.)

Old 04-12-2020, 01:06 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Well, technically he did care about some aspect of the pandemic...even if it was only for himself. He was wearing a mask wasn't he? He wasn't being ornery, he was being more than compliant. Not excusing his vile reaction to your mother's comment, but he probably felt SHE was the one who was out of line.

Old 04-12-2020, 01:26 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,679,394 times
I am currently doing all our shopping and I’m surprised at how many older folk (70-85) I see out there. Do none of them have a family member willing to get their groceries or is delivery too much a hassle? My family will not let our 85 year old grandfather in any store. It’s nearly impossible to completely avoid breaking the 6 foot barrier in some places.

The vicious, uncaring individuals I’m less surprised at. They are a dime a dozen.

Old 04-12-2020, 01:36 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,023,763 times
I'll be honest, I'm a little more concerned with the prospect of social media vigilante types feeling empowered to shame people in public, especially for ever-so-slight perceptions of a transgression.

Old 04-12-2020, 01:38 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Well, technically he did care about some aspect of the pandemic...even if it was only for himself. He was wearing a mask wasn't he? He wasn't being ornery, he was being more than compliant. Not excusing his vile reaction to your mother's comment, but he probably felt SHE was the one who was out of line.
^^^^No, he wasn't even remotely being "technically compliant". He wasn't keeping a safe distance and when asked to do so, he refused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I am currently doing all our shopping and I’m surprised at how many older folk (70-85) I see out there. Do none of them have a family member willing to get their groceries or is delivery too much a hassle? My family will not let our 85 year old grandfather in any store. It’s nearly impossible to completely avoid breaking the 6 foot barrier in some places.

The vicious, uncaring individuals I’m less surprised at. They are a dime a dozen.
^^^^Many of us older folks don't have family nearby to help with shopping. Plus it's near impossible to order groceries online where I live as there are waits as long as 2 weeks to fill orders.

Plus, I think I would feel bad asking a younger family member (if any were around) to shop for us because it would mean prolonged exposure for them.

For example, we have a close relative who is a single Dad (he lives 2 states away) and works an essential job. He has to worry about exposure everyday then go home and try to keep his kids safe.

All that said, there are lots of selfish people out there who think nothing about gathering in large groups despite knowing the dangers of doing so. A term has been coined for them --- COVIDIOTS---and they are all over the world.

Old 04-12-2020, 04:51 PM

4,025 posts, read 1,879,736 times
being closer to me than 6 feet is not an "ever so slight transgression." Get back - or you're wrong - plain and simple, mask or not. No excuse. None. Don't even bother defending it.

Old 04-12-2020, 05:11 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,023,763 times
It will be interesting to see how this "6 feet" thing will play out in real life. So many public spaces are simply not really set up to accommodate that. And I don't see public agencies or private companies hiring a bunch of hall monitors to enforce it.

I mean, I'm gonna do the best I can, but I just wonder overall.

Old 04-12-2020, 05:28 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,460,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
being closer to me than 6 feet is not an "ever so slight transgression." Get back - or you're wrong - plain and simple, mask or not. No excuse. None. Don't even bother defending it.
Yeah you tell em! Because a doctor wearing gloves and mask should follow your guideline mandate? How evah would he take care of a patient? Get realistic. The 6ft guideline is to dissipate the virus contraction. Heck the wind blowing in just the right direction can send it up your nostril. Best just quit breathing... The mask lowers the risk. So there it is.

Old 04-12-2020, 05:49 PM

7,592 posts, read 4,165,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
My 81-yo mother told me she finally had to tell a man behind her in line at the store to please step back 6 ft and he snapped back at her, "I'm wearing my mask!" while not budging. As she was exiting the store, he coincidentally was leaving too but she was ahead a good distance (thank God) and he coughed really loud as if to say, "F you to my mom".

See how vicious and uncaring some people are? So be careful out there with people who appear uncaring or mad at the world, miserable, etc. because they don't care if you get sick and die.

Anyone hear on the news about that bus driver who made a vent video that some lady was coughing all over on his bus not covering her mouth? A few days later he died, but I'm sure she's still alive coughing on everybody out there!

This all makes me furious!

(I put this topic in this thread because it's about the mentality of people out there.)
I am sorry your mom had to experience that reaction. People do not react well to requests so I am very careful about how to approach strangers if it is absolutely necessary to. For example, years ago a group of young men were laughing at 3 AM on the street, and it went on for a good 30 minutes before I finally decided to do something about it. I was very nice - "Hi, there. Is everything okay? I heard yelling." Surprisingly, they responded back with "Yes, ma'am. Sorry, ma'am. Everything is fine." And they drove away.

My husband was very angry with me for interacting with them. I told him I had to do it or else he would and escalate the situation.

Old 04-12-2020, 06:05 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,534,821 times
If your mother did indeed ask the man behind her to step back politely, he was in the wrong. Being that your mother is 81 years old he should have been more understanding since she's more susceptible to developing severe symptoms or dying. Unfortunately these types are everywhere. When you live in a society there will always be those like him. For me it's more stressful going out these days in large part to people your mother had a run in with. I'm not in a high risk group but it is infuriating that people don't respect others. That said, I notice the vast majority of people being respectful and following the guidelines so at least that's a positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology