Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2020, 11:27 AM

6 posts, read 3,760 times

Advertisements

About ten years ago, my University opened a new library with designated "Quiet Study Floors". I arrived to one such floor and there was this couple there right by the sign making LOTS of noise, shrieking with laughter, chatting VERY loudly, etc.

I was as naïve and unfamiliar with the real world as you'd expect Ned Flander's kids to be at 18-19, so I assumed that they just needed a friendly reminder of the rules and all would be well. So, I walked over to them so that I could mumble quietly and not break the rules myself, and politely explained to them that they were in a designated quiet study area, it was supposed to be quiet here, etc.

The woman's response was to cut me off and shout full in my face at the top of her lungs while I was standing a couple of feet away from her. I don't remember exactly but it was something like:

"YOU JUST GOT HERE!!! WITH YOUR HEADPHONES IN!!! WE HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN HERE FOR TWO MINUTES"

At this point I literally jumped back in shock, her response was to shout in my new direction even louder:

"SO THERE'S NO NEED TO GET ALL FUSSY!!!"

I was so shocked and scared by this response that I didn't know what to do and sat back down in my carrel.

After the man (who hadn't said a word since) packed up and left, the woman bothered me some more, trying to dress me down about what the rules actually were:

"F - Y - I, if you really needed it quiet, there's a room over there" (gestures to another room in the library in the same quiet floor), "it's not supposed to be *that* quiet over here, because this is where people get off the elevators", stuff like that, just drivel which is obviously wrong because the entire floor is designated for quiet study.

I was so taken aback by how aggressively and loudly the woman responded that I didn't know what to say back and she just walked away.

This was ten years ago and now with the boredom of the coronavirus lockdown this thought has come back into my mind and I'm finding it hard *not* to dwell on it.

What can I do to let this go?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2020, 11:51 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibraryIncident View Post
About ten years ago, my University opened a new library with designated "Quiet Study Floors". I arrived to one such floor and there was this couple there right by the sign making LOTS of noise, shrieking with laughter, chatting VERY loudly, etc.

I was as naïve and unfamiliar with the real world as you'd expect Ned Flander's kids to be at 18-19, so I assumed that they just needed a friendly reminder of the rules and all would be well. So, I walked over to them so that I could mumble quietly and not break the rules myself, and politely explained to them that they were in a designated quiet study area, it was supposed to be quiet here, etc.

The woman's response was to cut me off and shout full in my face at the top of her lungs while I was standing a couple of feet away from her. I don't remember exactly but it was something like:

"YOU JUST GOT HERE!!! WITH YOUR HEADPHONES IN!!! WE HAVEN'T EVEN BEEN HERE FOR TWO MINUTES"

At this point I literally jumped back in shock, her response was to shout in my new direction even louder:

I was so shocked and scared by this response that I didn't know what to do and sat back down in my carrel.

After the man (who hadn't said a word since) packed up and left, the woman bothered me some more, trying to dress me down about what the rules actually were:

"F - Y - I, if you really needed it quiet, there's a room over there" (gestures to another room in the library in the same quiet floor), "it's not supposed to be *that* quiet over here, because this is where people get off the elevators", stuff like that, just drivel which is obviously wrong because the entire floor is designated for quiet study.

I was so taken aback by how aggressively and loudly the woman responded that I didn't know what to say back and she just walked away.

This was ten years ago and now with the boredom of the coronavirus lockdown this thought has come back into my mind and I'm finding it hard *not* to dwell on it.

Do you remember why you went to the library that day?

For what class were you there to study?

Old 04-12-2020, 11:57 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
What is making you dwell on this incident now? Someone was obnoxious to you 10 years ago. They were wrong, and thinking about it won't change what happened.

Old 04-12-2020, 01:12 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,047,057 times
If you haven't yet let go of a minor incident which occurred 10 years ago, I doubt you ever will. However, you can and should give it a try. I'd recommend you try to put it in perspective: it was one jerk who was out of line, and in the long run the incident is inconsequential. Surely, more significant things - good and bad - have happened in your life during the past 10 years. Find something positive to think about, rather than dwelling on this incident which occurred long ago.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 04-12-2020, 01:42 PM

15,849 posts, read 6,308,360 times
I noticed in myself I sometimes tie new incidents to older ones that were traumatic for me thereby intensifying the effect or adding something that isn't there. What feelings did that trigger in you? Was there an earlier time you felt that way?

Conversely, maybe the same thing happened in her mind. Maybe she had people telling her what to do all the time and she overreacted to your suggestion. Maybe she's just an ahole.

Edit: it's also entirely possible she came to regret acting that way. I don't do things like that but I do have a few moments in my life that are downright cringeworthy.

Old 04-12-2020, 04:06 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,061,302 times
Quote:

accept she had a right to be wrong.

If you want to destroy your enemy, forgive them.

Old 04-12-2020, 04:14 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/326944

Old 04-12-2020, 04:37 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,856,150 times
They probably just needed a couple of minutes to let off steam and they would have been gone.

Old 04-12-2020, 05:31 PM

534 posts, read 488,860 times
Quote:

You don't have to do anything to let it go, you just have to stop suppressing it. It's like asking how do I get rid of steam in a hot pot? You just take off the lid and the steam arises by itself and just disappears eventually.

So just feel. What are the emotions you're feeling when the memory arises? Do you feel shame? Do you feel anger, or want revenge? Embarrassed that you didn't express yourself with more confidence or assertion? Whatever you're feeling, just allow it all to come up, no matter how uncomfortable, until you feel a sense of relief, even if it's tiny. Every time you do this you release a little bit more of it, and eventually the incident will have zero emotional charge if you happen to think about it.

Old 04-12-2020, 05:47 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,530,785 times
I think every one of us, or at least nearly everyone, has experienced something like this where we wish we were more assertive. You just have to tell yourself there's nothing you can do about it now, but to just use this as a learning incident and be more assertive next time. These things happen, it's part of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology