Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2023, 10:31 AM

50,423 posts, read 64,185,923 times

Advertisements

I’m late to the party, but my husband is much more repulsed by homosexuality than I am. We know some gay couples, and he is cordial, but he really thinks its icky.

I don’t really care, although, as a woman, I have so many things I don’t understand about lesbians. To me, gay women are really a different animal than gay men are.

Corporate Cowboy kind of touched on it above. Like, why would someone who is not attracted to men, be with a woman who dresses and acts like a man? I’m not aware of ever seeing a male gay couple in which one of them dressed and acted like a woman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2023, 11:19 AM

2,583 posts, read 2,699,987 times
Some people like both sexes.

Essentially, the only way to make things that involve anything not monogamy is to have a discussion and agreement with all parties involved. Also, it is about asking and not telling. It is highly unlikely it will work out because we are all human, but it is something that some desire and some do not.

Old 08-16-2023, 01:02 PM

8,739 posts, read 3,919,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Essentially, the only way to make things that involve anything not monogamy is to have a discussion and agreement with all parties involved.
Open relationships and threesomes aren’t the subject of the thread; that said, I find it odd some women seem to think we’re turned on by lesbians, as a whole, rather than by feminine, attractive women (who are also physically drawn to us). It’s a matter of masculinity/femininity.

Old 08-16-2023, 01:45 PM

1,076 posts, read 566,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Open relationships and threesomes aren’t the subject of the thread; that said, I find it odd some women seem to think we’re turned on by lesbians, as a whole, rather than by feminine, attractive women (who are also physically drawn to us). It’s a matter of masculinity/femininity.
Sexual orientation is arguably on a spectrum.

Old 08-16-2023, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
Sexual orientation is arguably on a spectrum.
Not mine. :-)

Old 08-16-2023, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Not mine. :-)
Sure, it is. Even if it's on one far end or the other. Or it could be anywhere in between. That's how spectrums work.

What Is the Sexuality Spectrum

Old 08-16-2023, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Sure, it is. Even if it's on one far end or the other. Or it could be anywhere in between. That's how spectrums work.
You’re assuming the concept is proven fact; it is not (even close), per your own source. Hence, your certainty is bizarre (and awkwardly obnoxious), particularly relative to another’s expressed heterosexuality).

Old 08-16-2023, 06:21 PM

Quote:
You’re assuming the concept is proven fact; it is not (even close), per your own source. Hence, your certainty is bizarre (and awkwardly obnoxious), particularly relative to another’s expressed heterosexuality).
What difference does it make to you if a spectrum exists or not? It's not like it puts your sexuality into question. Do you feel that it does?

Sexuality has never been finitely defined as exclusively one or the other, since the beginning of humanity.

Old 08-17-2023, 08:30 AM

Quote:
What difference does it make to you if a spectrum exists or not? It's not like it puts your sexuality into question. Do you feel that it does?
It’s a bit narcissistic of you to think your ‘sexuality is on a spectrum’ belief has anything to do with my heterosexuality (or the thread, for that matter).

Old 08-17-2023, 10:38 AM

20,422 posts, read 14,736,981 times
What I find more interesting is not the surface question itself but the deeper question of why...what underlying psychological and sociological stuff is the driver for a feeling of disgust about the concept? To a point where some will go past "I don't want to participate in any such activity" and further into a realm of "I don't want to even be reminded that such activity occurs in the world I live in, even if I am not being asked to be involved at all"...?

Some would point to religion, but I think that answer is too easy, especially since I know that some people who are not religious still feel this way. And I'm gonna say "people" rather than "men" even given the subject of the thread, because I have encountered women, too, who are repulsed/disgusted by the idea of male homosexuality in particular. Although I do find it notable that a majority of erotica involving gay male activity was actually written by straight or bi women.

I wonder if it is a nod to historical fact of men perpetrating sexual aggression? I mean, in every comment section about a terrible (male) criminal going to prison, one is bound to find insinuation of prison rape as part of their deserved punishment. And in a lot of the statements I used to hear all the time from men, decades ago when homosexuality was less accepted in American culture, there was a defensive component. A fear that a gay man might try to push them into sex they didn't want, it was always the underlying sentiment. I've seen any number of viral text-memes about straight men hating gay men because they were afraid a gay man might see them, treat them, or think of them in the way that they themselves see, treat, or think of women. As...what, sexual prey to be pursued? I don't believe that male sexuality in general always involves aggression and threat, or that it must be that way, but I do acknowledge some historical or situational validity to the idea.

Though I also think that there is a primal brain component of disgust simply connected to the nature of a particular act involving a particular bit of human anatomy... Disgust is, at its basic core, a natural revulsion for things that can make us very sick. Contaminated food and water, decay, pest creatures and venomous creatures, bodily waste, before we understood the reality of bacteria, viruses, venom, microbes, we understood the vague sense of "nasty, avoid that!" While it's easy enough with modern understanding and modern means to mitigate risk of contamination and harm, it's not necessarily easy to convince the "lizard brain" that the danger isn't there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology