Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Adversity builds character
Yes, I agree 19 51.35%
No, I disagree 10 27.03%
Really can't relate 3 8.11%
You're plain out nuts 5 13.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 07:53 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times

Advertisements

I don’t know if stronger is the right word. Maybe a better description is learned, cautious, smarter, analyze more,

With some people the old fool me once adage tends to stick. I can tell you that there are experiences I had in the past that taught me to think twice and be more cautious. I have a lot less of a problem saying no and walking away from a situation if I don’t like something about that situation/deal. I tend to question someone’s intentions more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 11:02 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
That's it. I can't think of a time of adversity I didn't journey through from which I didn't emerge with a new skill or two.

To hear that early in life sounds patronizing or at least like false comfort. But as the years and the little disasters add up it's been the best I can do to motivate myself to face challenge with some willingness and optimism. From experience I've learned its truth.

Fold your hand and you miss the pony at the bottom of the pile of manure. LOL

Old 05-07-2020, 12:00 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
That's it. I can't think of a time of adversity I didn't journey through from which I didn't emerge with a new skill or two.

To hear that early in life sounds patronizing or at least like false comfort. But as the years and the little disasters add up it's been the best I can do to motivate myself to face challenge with some willingness and optimism. From experience I've learned its truth.

Fold your hand and you miss the pony at the bottom of the pile of manure. LOL
That’s because early in life at around 14-22 years old everyone knows everything and the old people can’t teach you anything. At 14 I was smarter than god. Looking back I was a complete idiot.

Old 05-08-2020, 07:34 PM

795 posts, read 483,195 times
I didn't vote, only because there wasn't an option that was yes and no. Personally, I feel adversity does build character, but I have seen many people face adversity where it totally ruins them. I think it has to do with your mental strength.

Examples:

I literally know one person who after facing adversity, has become the perpetual victim, sarcastic in a mean way and a hypocrite. 69 years old, still playing the "Woe is me" sob story about everything. Never got her driver's license - but feels it's her cousins faults for not driving her around everywhere. This same person loves to talk down to/put down others while praising herself. Her stories go, "Not to praise myself, but..." and yet she goes on to praise herself. She'll criticize you for not sending a thank you to her for something she did, but she doesn't ever have to acknowledge kindness given to her. She'll talk about/insult people behind their backs to cause trouble, then claim "I didn't do it. I didn't say that" when she is confronted. After confronting this person (not argumentatively, but calmly - calling her out on what she said) she completely cut off contact, never responded to Christmas gifts and is miserable and alone. I should mention this is a relative too. 3 years later, still no accountability on her end... That's just one example.

Yet, there are MANY, MANY people who face terrible tragedies and adversity who work at it and come out stronger for it.

I definitely feel like the mentally stronger and healthier you are, the more likely you will face adversity, work through it and come out stronger in character.

Just my two cents on the issue.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:33 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Don't agree at all. I've had alot, and it's just turned me into a hardened, pessimistic cynic, doubting God and other people in general.

Don't believe in the myth of meritocracy or bootstraps, etc. But that's just me, glad it works for others.

I don't feel like a victim, nor have I given up on life. Just being a realist, enjoying what I can.

Old 05-09-2020, 10:17 AM

9,470 posts, read 9,373,019 times
I feel like those people who have loving parents as children can face hardships better in life. They have a good foundation that many others do not have.

Old 05-09-2020, 11:21 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Nietzsche didn't undermine his own claim i.e. there is relevance today to psychological resilience in the face of adversity. He suffered from a mental breakdown/illness which is psychiatry (as opposed to psychology).

There is an astronomical difference between influencing the self psychologically (with a normal functioning brain) vs. curing a mental illness (or any disease) on one's own.
From what I can tell from your entire posting corpus, you're something of a pedantic nihilist? Makes no sense to me. Anyway, there is no easy distinction to be made between psychiatry and psychology. Both are human constructs. Mental illness can afflict anyone. Societies that attempt to treat mental illness (consciously or not) in non-psychiatric ways tend to have at least as good of outcomes as we do here in the overmedicalized home of Big Pharma. Your fellow San Franciscan Ethan Watters wrote a great book that dealt with this subject called 'Crazy Like Us'. Google it, read it, get back to me.

Any other strong but wrong opinions to express herein?

Old 05-09-2020, 11:30 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,868,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Makes no sense to me. Anyway, there is no easy distinction to be made between psychiatry and psychology.

Google it, read it, get back to me.
You need to google psychiatry and psychology; it's a clear distinction (though no need to get back to me). : )

Old 05-09-2020, 11:31 PM

9,870 posts, read 4,646,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I resonate more with the saying "Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it."

Which is why I judge the people who make excuses like 'I was under alot of pressure"

Old 05-09-2020, 11:39 PM

5,483 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
You need to google psychiatry and psychology; it's a clear distinction (though no need to get back to me). : )
Okay, so if Nietzsche broke down at age 44, having lived the prior 15 years in the Alps writing his classics (not sure how familiar with his biography you are), he had a psychiatric issue as opposed to a psychological one? Glad you differentiate so easily between concepts that are only recently invented and are ultimately rather arbitrary. Thanks for the condescending smile emoji but you can rest assured I think condescending thoughts anytime I read one of your posts.

It's an artificial distinction; in terms of treating mental illness (also an artificial designation, ultimately), it's two competing approaches to the same phenomenon. Psychiatry emphasizes biological causes while psychology emphasizes environmental. I didn't have to google anything to write what I just wrote. You're a terrible philosophy enthusiast because you're so married to distinctions you've read about but never subjected to critical thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology