Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2020, 06:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,850 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am a psychology enthusiast, I absolutely love exploring and discussing the human psyche, inherited and developed mental conditions, the origins and workings of maladaptive coping mechanisms, and various approaches to becoming more aware of/outgrowing/managing them. I do know a lot at this point, but would like to have a much deeper and structured dive into all of this.

What I’m planning to do:

I want to go through the DSM 5 and study the mental disorders thoroughly though audio/video chatting (I already have a somewhat decent understanding of some common disorders but would like to study them deeper and have someone to discuss them with).

After that, I would like to go through the main therapy orientations thoroughly and explore/discuss their techniques, benefits&limitations and similarities&differences between them.

Who I’m looking for:

Someone who is really into psychology and takes it seriously (either because you are trying to understand and work on your own issues or you just really like all this stuff) and has the time to study/chat together regularly (at least once a week). Someone in their mid twenties to mid thirties, since it would feel more comfortable to talk to someone of the same age (I’m 28).

Also, I’m from the EU if that matters (I can be flexible with time though).

If you are interested, I’ll be excited to hear from you in my DMs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2020, 07:48 AM

1,706 posts, read 3,310,130 times
I would encourage you to attend classes. There are many nuances about diagnoses and theories of treatment that cannot be imparted without professional experience. If you are going to create ideas, they should be rooted in a science or a preponderance of evidence across actors and times, not an intellectual exchange of non-scientists. In a similar vein (no pun intended), you would not begin an autopsy without an expert nor would you dabble in the bio-sciences without beaker and flames. I admire your curiosity and wish you the best with it. While alchemy is dead, you can still find gold, and that goes with such intense introspection.

Nevertheless... this can easily get into a very entangling issue, emotionally and intellectually, and it is best entered as a philosophy of understanding, as opposed to a place to dive off into one's personal issues. The ice gets really thin between intellectual and personal, and some desire for understanding can put you into really compromised, unwieldy places. This field is one of the most vulnerable, intimate places you will ever access without being naked with another individual, so to understand it as a field of study is best completed with balance and dispassionate interest. There are many who don't have an oblique interest, as seems your gift, and you can be set up to be manipulated, coerced, and disadvantaged with someone having nefarious intent. That's a serious caution.

>clk, clk< I just added two cents to the penny jar; YRMV

Old 10-04-2020, 08:23 AM

786 posts, read 1,594,078 times
Why don't you go get a degree? Then you can practice your profession, get paid for it, and there is a huge shortage of therapists, the pay is going up to help you pay off school loans, and it sounds like you would love the challenge and do very well because you are so intellectually curious. Your end game without a degree will be just that, the end. You need a degree to practice and help others, unless you just want to chime in on social media.

Old 10-04-2020, 10:28 AM

6,306 posts, read 4,201,329 times
It’s sad you are willing to limit your communication and exclude conversing with older people who can offer a broader experience . That does not bode well in my mind to understanding the full scope of the human condition and how illness or circumstances affects people of different ages.

I’d have thought your curiosity and interest in the subject would be stronger than your ageist comfort level.

Old 10-04-2020, 02:56 PM

1,706 posts, read 3,310,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
It’s sad you are willing to limit your communication and exclude conversing with older people who can offer a broader experience . That does not bode well in my mind to understanding the full scope of the human condition and how illness or circumstances affects people of different ages.

I’d have thought your curiosity and interest in the subject would be stronger than your ageist comfort level.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This was a good critical comment. I don't think there will be a verbal response to it as much as an openness to bring to the table others who have greater experience on the topic.

+1 for Spuggy!!!

Old 10-06-2020, 02:55 AM

720 posts, read 429,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiSouth View Post
Hi! I am a psychology enthusiast, I absolutely love exploring and discussing the human psyche, inherited and developed mental conditions, the origins and workings of maladaptive coping mechanisms, and various approaches to becoming more aware of/outgrowing/managing them. I do know a lot at this point, but would like to have a much deeper and structured dive into all of this.

What I’m planning to do:

I want to go through the DSM 5 and study the mental disorders thoroughly though audio/video chatting (I already have a somewhat decent understanding of some common disorders but would like to study them deeper and have someone to discuss them with).

Also, I’m from the EU if that matters (I can be flexible with time though).

If you are interested, I’ll be excited to hear from you in my DMs
Which country of the EU are you from?

I am also interested in studying it. I am applying for an online university course in Germany so maybe it would be a good idea to search something similar in your country.

It is also a state university so it only costs like 300 pro semester for tuition fees and learning material.

It may help you if you have to work at the same time.
Although studying alone is also a really nice thing to do the feedback from trained professionals I am sure is irreplaceable. Good luck in your search

Old 10-07-2020, 09:11 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post

couldn't agree more.

Old 10-07-2020, 09:43 AM

464 posts, read 202,790 times
OP, are you in school? If not, I encourage you to do so and choose Psychology as your major, or atleast your minor. There you'll find ample opportunity to learn, discuss, and write a thesis or two (or three).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology