Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 10:17 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
Just reading the news about how life will change going forward.

Restaurants will be unrecognizable. Plexiglass all around the table, even in between persons seated together.
Salt/pepper packets, not shakers, temperature taken before you enter etc.

No more shopping malls. Gotta make an appointment to shop, person follows you around and you can't touch anything to get a closer look or try anything on. Curbside pickup. What about returns? Gotta make an appointment for that too?

No more going to concerts or sporting events. I guess the music industry is finished too! What about filming tv shows and movies?

Everyone wearing a mask.

Even if a vaccine does come out how can we trust there's nothing added to it by sinister individuals who have a depopulation agenda? I won't be taking any vaccines because I have a strong distrust of something that's pushed by the government.

Planet Earth's future looks glum. Who would want to bring children into such a crap show? Does anyone else feel like this? Or is there a way of looking at this that might provide any rays of hope?

If not we can always hope the Earth calls in a 20 mile wide astroid from space to shake us all off the surface.
Oh stop with the theatrics. Humanity has survived plagues and epidemics before and it will in the future. If anything it will make people stay cleaner and keep things clean. It will force restaurants to scour ALL the surfaces and no more of th dirty dish towel to wipe down tables. With social media the number one thing that will kill your business now will be uncleanliness.
Humanity will adapt to the epidemic. Besides people die of the flu, Ebola, SARS, MERS, bubonic plague and we survive all that as a planet.

So please stop with the world is ending bs. It’s not gonna end anytime soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2020, 11:21 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
In the moment it’s hard to see this, but in time I don’t think anything negative will really change. It didn’t after 1918, it won’t now either. In 5 years this will be a distant memory of a weird time in the past that wrecked the economy and made people panic. We were all told 9/11 would be the end of our “innocence” or something and that nothing would ever be the same again. Well, I have my TSA precheck and I clear security way faster than I ever did in 2000. I’m not worried about terrorist attacks any more than I was in 2002, and probably quite a lot less, because I now have 19 years of examples of how the government has done a great job (apparently) preventing the next 9/11. Who knows how many heroes aren’t even known to us who maybe did prevent the next one. I feel like people don’t even think about terrorism that much anymore, which is kind of a problem, but shows how well we’ve done there and how nothing really changed in daily life.

Right now it’s easy to feel bleak because most of us have had some or many things ripped away we love. I’m lucky that’s mainly sports for me, and not my business, but in time things will return as they always do. Viruses usually mutate in ways that make them less dangerous, not more dangerous - they’re not intelligent, for one, and two the more lethal a virus, the worse it is at spreading. That’s an unsuccessful virus that kills the host, basically. Everyone can’t wait to say in the media how things will change forever. I don’t buy that at all. I think it’ll be back to normal - old normal, not new normal - within 3 years.

Old 05-17-2020, 11:32 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,713,925 times
The world, including all the things you mentioned about restaurants, music, and the entertainment industry, will adjust and will ultimately be normalized. You seem pretty young...and lacking the perspective of others who have been on the planet a long time and have seen a lot of **** go down.

Old 05-17-2020, 02:41 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,182,679 times
I like it. More people to stay in and start inventing/creating again for times to come.

Old 05-17-2020, 02:42 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post

Calling someone paranoid is simply not nice.
Planting seeds of fear in the minds of others based on nothing but speculation, such as in the vaccine example, is not only paranoid but also ignorant. And that's not nice, either. So I guess we're even.

Quote:

There are not normal times and it is better to give people a little more slack instead of just name calling. I agree the OP took it to the extreme but for me its understandable.
I'm giving him as much slack as he is giving those who read his post. What if someone who's in even worse emotional shape than he is comes across this rant?? It's irresponsible.

Quote:

We will get though this and when we come out of it the world may be a little different but certainly better than all the hoops we have to go through now.
Yes. And jumping through hoops is quite a different and more realistic characterization than the worlds'-end scenario the OP posted.

Old 05-17-2020, 04:41 PM

599 posts, read 262,976 times
Every time I felt the tentacles of depression or self defeating behavior, I remember how little we have to be here on Earth. I know it sounds depressing but we start the path to death the moment we are born. So, recognizing that- let go of fear. Yes, this world is different, but it's always been that way. If anything dialing back the hands of time circumstances get progressively more difficult and challenging.

I mean- most people are hunting for toilet paper. There was a time when toilet paper and toilets were nature and you probably took a bath once a year.

Thank god for flushing toilets. That is all.

Old 05-17-2020, 05:45 PM

30,140 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Planting seeds of fear in the minds of others based on nothing but speculation, such as in the vaccine example, is not only paranoid but also ignorant. And that's not nice, either. So I guess we're even.
This is their opinion or perhaps they are just venting. There is a big difference between stating ones opinion and name calling. But to you they are equal.

Quote:
I'm giving him as much slack as he is giving those who read his post. What if someone who's in even worse emotional shape than he is comes across this rant?? It's irresponsible.
There is endless very negative speculation as to how the next few years will shake out. Everyone is free to speculate.

The Week published an editorial that is much more bleak than this thread. If that is the writers feelings it should not be censored.

The Dark Decade Ahead

https://theweek.com/articles/913411/dark-decade-ahead

Quote:
Yes. And jumping through hoops is quite a different and more realistic characterization than the worlds'-end scenario the OP posted.
We will move past the virus at some point. What kind of hangover our society and economy faces at that point is anyone's guess. But the day to day extra stuff most people have to put up with is not permanent. That seems to be the point of this thread. Not the end of the world but how annoying it is to not be able to freely do what you want and feeling that may be permanent.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:03 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:

This is their opinion or perhaps they are just venting. There is a big difference between stating ones opinion and name calling.
I happen to think there's a difference between mere venting and calling for the world to end, which is exactly what he did in the title. In fact, I resent it very much.

Quote:

The Week published an editorial that is much more bleak than this thread. If that is the writers feelings it should not be censored.
I'm not trying to censor him. I'm disagreeing.

That's what you're doing too.

Quote:

We will move past the virus at some point. What kind of hangover our society and economy faces at that point is anyone's guess. But the day to day extra stuff most people have to put up with is not permanent. That seems to be the point of this thread. Not the end of the world but how annoying it is to not be able to freely do what you want and feeling that may be permanent.
LOL um no. That's quite a whitewash of this thread.

Old 05-18-2020, 07:43 AM

16,545 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
Just reading the news about how life will change going forward.

Restaurants will be unrecognizable. Plexiglass all around the table, even in between persons seated together.
Salt/pepper packets, not shakers, temperature taken before you enter etc.

No more shopping malls. Gotta make an appointment to shop, person follows you around and you can't touch anything to get a closer look or try anything on. Curbside pickup. What about returns? Gotta make an appointment for that too?

No more going to concerts or sporting events. I guess the music industry is finished too! What about filming tv shows and movies?

Everyone wearing a mask.

Even if a vaccine does come out how can we trust there's nothing added to it by sinister individuals who have a depopulation agenda? I won't be taking any vaccines because I have a strong distrust of something that's pushed by the government.

Planet Earth's future looks glum. Who would want to bring children into such a crap show? Does anyone else feel like this? Or is there a way of looking at this that might provide any rays of hope?

If not we can always hope the Earth calls in a 20 mile wide astroid from space to shake us all off the surface.

Hope that for yourself, not everyone else.
Your gloom and doom attitude is literally saying the sky is falling, but sadly you are almost hoping it literally does fall.

Much of what you are bemoaning are first world problems, that most of the rest of the planet wishes they had the luxury to deal with.
People around the world are starving to death, dying of diseases, and in some cases living no better than animals. Yet you are worrying about adjustments to life via social distancing and precautions we are taking.

`

Old 05-18-2020, 11:21 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,617,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty99 View Post
Every time I felt the tentacles of depression or self defeating behavior, I remember how little we have to be here on Earth. I know it sounds depressing but we start the path to death the moment we are born. So, recognizing that- let go of fear. Yes, this world is different, but it's always been that way. If anything dialing back the hands of time circumstances get progressively more difficult and challenging.

I mean- most people are hunting for toilet paper. There was a time when toilet paper and toilets were nature and you probably took a bath once a year.

Thank god for flushing toilets. That is all.
This is a first world problem.

Somehow we have people on this planet who don't have "toilet paper".
or don't have money for a Concert or cable TV or the Internet.
or don't even have food to survive the next day or access to healthcare.

Meanwhile in America it's about...toilet paper !

I'm sure there are people across the World who would gladly trade their lives for ours having to deal with a shortage of toilet paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology