Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2020, 12:14 PM

793 posts, read 331,584 times

Advertisements

I wish I had developed my emotional intelligence much earlier in life. I would have had a family and a better career. I wouldn't have made so many mistakes in both areas of my life. I would have kicked the impostor syndrome 20 years ago. I wouldn't have shut down when my significant other was upset. So many things...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 12:19 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,182,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Talking about self-acceptance in another thread made me think of this.

I don't dwell on this, but once in awhile, the thought occurs to me. I have a brilliant sister, PhD in linguistics, tri-lingual, great at math, sings, plays piano, volunteers everywhere. So the concept is in my face occasionally. I do none of those.

Do you ever wish you could have been a surgeon or something else requiring more brain power than you've been allotted?

I'm terrible at math and classrooms or tutors can't fix that . Learning another language is seeming out of reach too.

Mostly I'm OK with my limitations but sometimes it's frustrating to where I wish I was a bit dumber so I wouldn't know what I'm missing, lol.

How about you? Content with your smarts?
No. I'm low IQ and don't care. I never wanted to be a surgeon or lawyer or CPA or anything like that. I'd much rather be a tall person. Tall people - even the not so smart and barely attractive ones - can make it in life no matter how dumb they are. Someone even wrote an article about it a while back. I say it was spot on.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...iminals/56372/

Old 08-02-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
No. I'm low IQ and don't care. I never wanted to be a surgeon or lawyer or CPA or anything like that. I'd much rather be a tall person. Tall people - even the not so smart and barely attractive ones - can make it in life no matter how dumb they are. Someone even wrote an article about it a while back. I say it was spot on.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...iminals/56372/
Maybe I'm just unaware, but my height and looks haven't helped me much. I don't view it as an advantage, but maybe I'd be living under a bridge if I didn't have them with my average intelligence.

Old 08-02-2020, 12:24 PM

8,660 posts, read 3,856,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Atlguy View Post
I wish I had developed my emotional intelligence much earlier in life. I would have had a family and a better career. I wouldn't have made so many mistakes in both areas of my life. I would have kicked the impostor syndrome 20 years ago. I wouldn't have shut down when my significant other was upset. So many things...
Your posts tend to have an emotionality to them representative of depression (which is really a different subject altogether).

Old 08-02-2020, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Your posts tend to have an emotionality to them representative of depression (which is really a different subject altogether).
Maybe so, but my post was relevant to the subject matter here.

Old 08-02-2020, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Maybe I'm just unaware, but my height and looks haven't helped me much. I don't view it as an advantage, but maybe I'd be living under a bridge if I didn't have them with my average intelligence.
More than likely you would be living in the streets or in some shelter if you were a short guy about 5'6" or under. I'm female and despite so many thinking it does not apply to women as well - I can tell you, yes it does. Women in jails, living on low-income, no income, and victims of domestic abuse are more often than not shorter than 5'4".

Old 08-02-2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
More than likely you would be living in the streets or in some shelter if you were a short guy about 5'6" or under. I'm female and despite so many thinking it does not apply to women as well - I can tell you, yes it does. Women in jails, living on low-income, no income, and victims of domestic abuse are more often than not shorter than 5'4".
I can be pretty negative, but I don't buy that at all. Such a broad generalization that completely ignores intelligence.

Old 08-02-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I can be pretty negative, but I don't buy that at all. Such a broad generalization that completely ignores intelligence.
Of course there is intelligence to factor in, as this thread is about wishing to be smarter. However, more women and men with somewhat average intelligence yet shorter in height end up in the jails or living on the streets, shelters, etc. more often than taller individuals of lesser intelligence.

Old 08-05-2020, 01:00 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,763,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Talking about self-acceptance in another thread made me think of this.

I don't dwell on this, but once in awhile, the thought occurs to me. I have a brilliant sister, PhD in linguistics, tri-lingual, great at math, sings, plays piano, volunteers everywhere. So the concept is in my face occasionally. I do none of those.

Do you ever wish you could have been a surgeon or something else requiring more brain power than you've been allotted?

I'm terrible at math and classrooms or tutors can't fix that . Learning another language is seeming out of reach too.

Mostly I'm OK with my limitations but sometimes it's frustrating to where I wish I was a bit dumber so I wouldn't know what I'm missing, lol.

How about you? Content with your smarts?
All the time. People say "just better yourself", "find a better paying job", etc, but it is hard to earn a decent living unless you are of above average intelligence, I think. Even if you have worked your whole life, you will only get so far.

Old 08-06-2020, 06:41 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,046,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
All the time. People say "just better yourself", "find a better paying job", etc, but it is hard to earn a decent living unless you are of above average intelligence, I think. Even if you have worked your whole life, you will only get so far.
I agree. It seems like you need to be a Mensa member just to be competitive in today's world (And I am a Mensa member). Becoming an engineer would have required better math skills than I possess, nor did I have the ability to learn the huge volume of information required of a physician. I spent 2 hours a day, seven days a week to get that A in medical terminology. Learning a foreign language (as an adult) or memorizing a script each day as an actor was not going to happen either.

I did have a successful career through sheer perseverance, but better math skills and better rote memory would have taken me further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology