Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 12:20 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,643,419 times

Advertisements

I really hate the word "narcissist." People take care of themselves first. That's human. They can't be selfless all the damn time.

To answer OP, in other words, these people will behave the same way they behaved pre-pandemic. Whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2020, 01:44 PM

9,866 posts, read 4,638,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
These people are actually very successful, almost always managers. The guy perplexed me because he seemed charming and nice until he got to know you. If you contradicted him, watch out. He thrived on compliments (supply as I later found out). That is one thing I noticed. He would walk around puffed up and would actually swagger. I got the silent treatment (and the slam of a pen) lasting over 2 weeks for questioning some project. That was what finally prompted me to look up these characteristics I was seeing. Everyone noticed these traits.
This supervisor was eventually let go. He hated females. He lit into the female director of our org and "poof" was gone. Just like that.

Funny you say that because the family narcissist WAS a manager, downsized years ago. He had fairly early success but their career rise stalled quick. Didn't/doesn't have the attention span to continue their education, training etc. Wouldn't even take the occasional seminar, lecture etc. Yet they are a 'pro'fessional. Real business people see right through the act going years without a real job with potential and benefits. At one company had manager did the rockets red glare thing, you get see their anger, they didn't issue stern warnings although lots of threats. Speculated because the hours he was doing a stimulant but if he did them for the entire length of his rein he would've had a heart attack. They both had things in common including power hungry, easily frustrated, easily triggered. If things don't or didn't go their way they can explode in a heart beat.

Old 05-26-2020, 02:52 PM

8,071 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Anyone else think about this?
Don't worry, I'm pretty sure you can still yell at people form not wearing masks.

Old 05-26-2020, 04:43 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
Because it is a "scientific/psychological" difference between the two.
Swell. Are we to deal with those people differently because of how they are labeled; is their effect on those around them different?

Old 05-26-2020, 08:48 PM

599 posts, read 263,146 times
Quote:
I started this thread to say that the narcissists among us are going to be on full display now that places are opening back up again & there are a lot more among us than we might have noticed otherwise. Their true colors are really going to come out more nowadays.

We know there are rude a-holes out there & some of us know that narcissists have been around since the end of time. I'm also not saying everyone who crowds or doesn't wear a mask is a narcissist. That's not what this thread's about. (Also, what I said above in red font.)

YES, you BOTH hit the nail on the head!

Good, a few of you know that narcissists aren't just rude a-holes. They're a whole other animal & there are many layers & aspects to them. Again, like I said, a psychologist can devote their entire career specializing in this type of personality disorder in itself.
Great, and I hope you realize that everyone will have differing opinions. This is a forum not an agree with the OP type of deal.

Unless you are demonstrating...

Old 05-26-2020, 09:23 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
I really hate the word "narcissist." People take care of themselves first. That's human. They can't be selfless all the damn time.

To answer OP, in other words, these people will behave the same way they behaved pre-pandemic. Whatever.
You obviously haven't done any research on narcissism, which is understandable. Most people don't just choose to learn about a topic like this unless they have some deep interest in it for some reason, suspect a family member or two, boss, "friend" like this, etc.

Old 05-26-2020, 10:28 PM

599 posts, read 263,146 times
Quote:
You obviously haven't done any research on narcissism, which is understandable. Most people don't just choose to learn about a topic like this unless they have some deep interest in it for some reason, suspect a family member or two, boss, "friend" like this, etc.
Not to be rude, but this is kind of annoying. I have done extensive research on the topic due to dealing with the abuse in my personal life. Your claim- that this world will be a narcissists playground does not really seem to ring true to me. Everyone can display selfish and narcissistic behavior. And you see people behave less altruistic in times of trouble and stress. You said your piece and people are saying theirs. Unless your point is just to argue until everyone sees things your way.

Old 05-27-2020, 12:57 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty99 View Post
Not to be rude, but this is kind of annoying. I have done extensive research on the topic due to dealing with the abuse in my personal life. Your claim- that this world will be a narcissists playground does not really seem to ring true to me. Everyone can display selfish and narcissistic behavior. And you see people behave less altruistic in times of trouble and stress. You said your piece and people are saying theirs. Unless your point is just to argue until everyone sees things your way.
Not rude - I had narcissistic parents growing up, so I had the "pleasure" of experiencing their abuse. That's my "research".

Why does it seem (to me) that self-appointed experts don't want opinions of people who lived what they "researched".... might begin with the letter "N"??

I know I am dense, but I am just not seeing how Covid created this new, exclusive class of narcissism that has always existed IMO.

Old 05-27-2020, 01:04 AM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
I know I am dense, but I am just not seeing how Covid created this new, exclusive class of narcissism that has always existed IMO.
Yes, this is true, I agree w/ you, but people seem to be misunderstanding me. I'm NOT saying that covid is now creating narcissists. I'm simply saying how all the already-existing narcissists will really be having a field day now (so to speak) due to these circumstances of places are reopening/have reopened. We see those true colors of theirs come out even more than we might have noticed before.

Old 05-27-2020, 02:40 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,215 times
Quote:
Yes, this is true, I agree w/ you, but people seem to be misunderstanding me. I'm NOT saying that covid is now creating narcissists. I'm simply saying how all the already-existing narcissists will really be having a field day now (so to speak) due to these circumstances of places are reopening/have reopened. We see those true colors of theirs come out even more than we might have noticed before.

In that light - I can see where Covid would exacerbate the Narcissist tendencies.

Sometimes, I can be a bit slow on the uptake. No worries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology