Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 06:43 PM

23,084 posts, read 18,469,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I tried Prozac back in the early 90's when it hit the market. Did NOTHING...so got off it. Went for 10 ugly years with anti depressants, and many doctors as I believed it was THYROID and no one believed me but believed their lab numbers. It was thyroid as on D.O. helped me in 2002...the long depression LIFTED and never to return. When a lowness started to hit me in 2006, found it was Vit D deficiency.

Thyroid desiccated support and Vit D has saved me from the toxic drugs.
The OP was asking about antidepressants, not thyroid problems or vitamin D deficiencies. Seems that at least one has worked for him so your points are off topic. Glad to hear you've found something that helped you OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 08:02 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,749,085 times
Yes, I tried Zoloft and Prozac. I have severe social anxiety and Zoloft helped me more than any drug. Unfortunately, it also gave me brain-fog to the point I had to go off it.

Prozac worked better for the actual depression, but did NOTHING for my social anxiety.

Old 05-28-2020, 08:59 PM

21,481 posts, read 8,667,598 times
I have been dealing with depression and anxiety for most of my life due to a traumatic childhood and what is most likely a genetic predisposition. Prozac was exactly what I needed. It made me feel like a normal person again. I was afraid to try it at first because of all the negative publicity, but my fears proved groundless. That said, antidepressants aren't for everyone. Some people don't tolerate them very well.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:47 AM

27,996 posts, read 29,823,150 times
I've been on Prozac pretty much ever since it came out. I've tried a couple of others, but none worked as well for me. I've also tried a couple of times going off anti-depressants completely, but that has been disastrous. I don't find anti-depressants to be the perfect solution to my problems, but they definitely do help.

Old 06-02-2020, 10:21 AM

6,031 posts, read 6,114,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
My primary care physician put me on Setraline (Zoloft), an SSRI, in early January after a serious bout of health anxiety.

Thankfully, taking the medicine has been life-changing.

(snip)

When my doctor asked me about two weeks ago how the Zoloft was going, I reported the good news. He says he recommends I continue to take it indefinitely, as weaning myself off might cause a relapse. I'm happy to keep taking what I now call my "chill pill."

It really makes me wonder whether my anxiety has prevented me from achieving more success -- both personal and professional -- up until now. Too late to worry about that, I know, but the good thing is that I'm only 35 and the future sure looks brighter today than it did last year.

Have you taken Zoloft or any other anti-depressant? If so, to treat what? And how did it go for you?
Sort of an inspirational post about a med that solved what it could. Reminds me of taking Flonase (commercial name) in nostrils, and some sort of mild steroid / puff solution for the lungs to cure asthma. Boom: it's gone, about that fast, once you start taking Prednisone (common, powerful steroid) then wean off it onto the others mentioned. (Turned out I didn't have asthma per se, the Dr. was a Quack, but never mind: he did cure the symptoms of my dust and pet fur allergy!)

I've had various friends on anti-depressants. My buddy's fiance was on one of them indefinitely...side effects included her being a bit forgetful and e.g. leaving car windows and door open all night, sometimes. Weird little things like that. Otherwise, she felt the greater good was staying on it. She was tolerable when on it, never knew her when-not. Many, many years we're talking.

Current friend is on some sort of bootleg anti-depressant, that being pills she buys as overage from a nurse on the sneak. The pills and doses are on the level. That she needs to do this due to no medical insurance is disheartening, but she really is "smoother" when on them so ironically, a bastard red-headed stepchild solution is better than not, in this case.

Old 06-02-2020, 07:02 PM

11,985 posts, read 8,320,397 times
Quote:
I tried Prozac back in the early 90's when it hit the market. Did NOTHING...so got off it. Went for 10 ugly years with anti depressants, and many doctors as I believed it was THYROID and no one believed me but believed their lab numbers. It was thyroid as on D.O. helped me in 2002...the long depression LIFTED and never to return. When a lowness started to hit me in 2006, found it was Vit D deficiency.

I was absolutely whacko in my thirties. I thought I was having a spiritual crisis. Doctors thought it was depression.

Turns out it was thyroid and then parathyroid tumors. But it took them a good while before they finally figured it out. This happens for a lot of women. While sitting in the massive waiting rooms at the Mayo Clinic I met many other women who had been down the same path.

It's the first area of exploration I'd recommend for mood lability in middle-aged women. And get more than one opinion. It can save you years of misery.

Last edited by Lodestar; 06-02-2020 at 07:49 PM..

Old 06-02-2020, 08:15 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,283,321 times
Quote:

They're not toxic - many people are alive and well who wouldn't be if they didn't take them.

Yes, a vitamin D deficiency or being hypothyroid can have some symptoms similar to depression...by all means get your levels checked and remedied if they're off. But more than likely depression will still need some additional attention/medication, OP.

BTW, I'm on thyroid hormone because I had thyroid cancer more than 20 years ago and have my levels checked every 6 months...they're fine. I also take Vitamin D and I'm above the midpoint of the reference range. And guess what?! - I still take an antidepressant and am totally okay with it.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:06 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,320,068 times
I love my Zoloft. I take half the normal dose, but it just evens out my anxiety. No significant side effects. With my ADD being the root cause of my anxiety and depression, it keeps me from falling into the pit. I focus better, stay calmer and sleep better. I am closer to the person I want to be, if that makes any sense.

Old 06-02-2020, 09:48 PM

21,481 posts, read 8,667,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I am closer to the person I want to be, if that makes any sense.
That makes perfect sense, and I know exactly what you mean.

Old 06-03-2020, 05:56 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,320,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
That makes perfect sense, and I know exactly what you mean.
To your point about not everyone tolerating them well, my buddy with severe anxiety has a genetic anomaly that causes anti anxiety meds to INCREASE his anxiety. He had a severe reaction to one drug and I was terrified for him - he had to take weeks off work due to rolling anxiety attacks. It was really scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology